Glue the thing 1 9.09%
Go smaller and forget about safety 0 0%
Go broke and buy a real one 7 63.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2003, 08:01 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Rear View Mirror (Poll)

The other day I officially got tired of my floppy mirror so I decided to take it apart. Well I broke the glass taking it out, but that doesn't really matter because it turns out the piece that the ball thing rests in was snapped in half and another part was missing so it would always be floppy. So now I replaced the mirror with a universal one. I was going to attach the new mirror to the old arm but they are not compatible (already looked around for one that would work, this was the one I thought would work best). Right now it is screwed in to where the old one used to be using an assortment of screws and washers I had lying around (it's a little loose but that can easily be fixed if I were to buy the right size screws). It looks like it was *almost* supposed to go there. The problem is because the new mirror is on a slightly longer arm but at a steeper angle the mirror is closer to my face (about 3") and I cannot flip down the drivers side visor because the mirror is in the way. Here's where the poll comes in because I am indecisive and don't want to do anything that people think would harm the car (beyond breaking the original ). Should I:

A:Leave it the way it is now and just tighten it;
B:Glue the mirror to the window (fixes the two problems but might not look as good and will leave an empty void where the old one was);
C:Buy a small mirror and screw it in (if I get an 8" mirror it should miss the visor but I'll lose 2" of viewing space);
D:Take out a loan and buy a new mirror from subaru (they cost about $100 so that's really not an option)

Sorry for my almost pointless post, just wanted to see what other people thought, right now I'm leaning towards glueing the mirror on.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-25-2003, 08:26 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Loose mirror

Here's another option. Personally my mirror is fine as is every SVX I've been in so you may want to try a used one. Here's the www.car-part.com list for mirrors but I know a place called Weber Brothers in Lebanon PA has 2 SVXs and they aren't on the list. You may want to call them. I've gotten stuff from them w/o a problem. I've also used Maroney's and the stuff was fine. They'll warranty it so if your not happy your out shipping. $15 is $15. My guess is the aftermarket one cost more.

Year
Part
Model Description Condition Stock# Price Dealer Info
Mirror-Rear View
Subaru SVX 2DR,09-91,SUN,AWD,GR Y, 2B0164 $100 South Bay Auto Wreckers, Inc. USA-CA(Chula-Vista) E-mail 1-877-722-3138
Mirror-Rear View
Subaru SVX -FRONT M109P $50 Aaron Auto Supply USA-NY(Medford) E-mail 1-800-400-2276
Mirror-Rear View
Subaru SVX -FRONT N107P $50 Aaron Auto Supply USA-NY(Medford) E-mail 1-800-400-2276
Mirror-Rear View
Subaru SVX 2951 $42 Swamp's Used Auto Parts USA-PA(Upper-Black Eddy) E-mail 1-610-294-2941
Mirror-Rear View
Subaru SVX Rof Mntd Black 70L 00102706 $35.38 PRP - Albuquerque Foreign Auto Parts - PAR Member USA-NM(Albuquerque) E-mail 1-800-753-7550
Mirror-Rear View
Subaru SVX GRAY JE2676 $35 Glenwood Foreign Auto Parts USA-OR(Eugene) Quote 1-800-437-1708 Insurance-Quote
Mirror-Rear View
Subaru SVX WHT,AWD,2D,000 4056 $35 Anderson Automotive USA-SC(Belton) E-mail 1-800-327-2736
Mirror-Rear View
Subaru SVX 687 $25 Budget Import Auto, Inc. USA-CO(Englewood) E-mail 1-888-837-5036
Mirror-Rear View
Subaru SVX -BLACK 3488P $15.19 Maroney's Foreign Car and Parts USA-PA(Smithton) Quote 1-800-245-7278 Insurance-Quote
Mirror-Rear View
Subaru SVX - GOOD CONDITION BLACK 3117 $Call Maroney's Foreign Car and Parts USA-PA(Smithton) Quote 1-800-245-7278 Insurance-Quote
Mirror-Rear View
Subaru SVX CS8120 $Call Dillon Auto Parts-Caldwell USA-ID(Caldwell) E-mail 1-800-777-0482
Old 06-25-2003, 08:36 PM
No longer blue member

I'll check them out

I looked at carpart yesterday but I don't remeber seeing the $15 one on the list, I'll probably call them tomorrow. The $25 one is in CO so shipping is probably high and it might get broken on the way. Do you have the number for the one in Lebanon? None of the yards around here have any SVX's.

P.S. I know other people have had the problem because I remember a fairly recent thread about it. I distictly remember someone saying something about using the mirror to apply makeup and loosening it up.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-25-2003, 09:18 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Mine isn't floppy, but the 'jars' to my car caused by the road make me have to readjust it every eh... I'd say 3-4 times per tankful.

- Rob
Old 06-25-2003, 09:26 PM
No longer blue member

Mine was like that

After every bump my mirror used to drop about a 1/4" but I guess it actually broke about 2 months ago because it started to just fall slowly on its own and would end up horizontal if I hit a bump.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-26-2003, 06:19 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

R/V Mirror

Here's the number for Weber Brothers- 717-867-8360. I'd bet they have one but would guess they'd be more than the $15 place. As for shipping most I ever paid was $10 for an alternator and that came overnight. These places tend to be fairly reasonable and they do pack stuff nicely. Remember they are in the business of used parts. If they send a bad one/broken one they'll have to go pull another or call around until they get a replacement. That's work!

Oh yeah, no applying make-up with the new one!
Old 06-26-2003, 07:06 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Is it possible to take the new Legacy and WRX autodimming mirrors and install them? That'd be a nice mod.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Floppy Rear View Mirror

The adminstrators say to try to use old threads first.

Anyway, a suggestion to tighten up a floppy rear view mirror is to go to an art supply store and buy a Kneadable Eraser. Something pencil artists and draftsman use. It comes in a small rectangular gray brick for cheap. Kneading and pulling on it will make it soften up like modeling clay (a little stiffer). Start breaking small pieces off and force them into the space around the mirror ball. Fill in as much as possible. When the eraser cools it hardens and the mirror should be close to normal for adjusting.
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 02-27-2006, 03:11 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3
The adminstrators say to try to use old threads first.

Anyway, a suggestion to tighten up a floppy rear view mirror is to go to an art supply store and buy a Kneadable Eraser. Something pencil artists and draftsman use. It comes in a small rectangular gray brick for cheap. Kneading and pulling on it will make it soften up like modeling clay (a little stiffer). Start breaking small pieces off and force them into the space around the mirror ball. Fill in as much as possible. When the eraser cools it hardens and the mirror should be close to normal for adjusting.
That's an interesting manuver!

And I know this thread is old, but FYI I took off my OEM mirror, and glued a button to the glass to mount my auto-dimming/compass/temp mirror to. All I really need is a piece of trim to cover the hole from the original mirror.

Which also means I've got a stock mirror in great shape lying around if anyone needs one. I'm sure we could work out a decent price.