How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Upcoming Meets
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2003, 06:35 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

SVX/Skydiving meet near Atlanta (Planning)

Hey all the SVXers in the South.... Noir and I are in the process of planning a SVX/Skydiving meet for everyone that will be interested.... It will be taking place in Atlanta, GA. I believe the time frame will be around late August early September.... It's still warm then but not blazing hot.... You can almost bet that if it is 90* on the ground it will be about 30* at 12,500ft. I will post more as things develope.... If you will be available for that area at that time of year for that sort of event then feel free to start a list of people that are interested.... It will help me get an Idea of how many people to tell the Skydiving company will be there... Also if you can specify if you will be Skydiving or if you are to scared to ..... Like this...

1. GreenMarineSVX (Diving till I run outta money!!!!!)

I realize that I seem to be the king of useless lists of names, but this one will happen... I haven't Skydived in a while and I wanna get back in the air before my liscence expires and I have to take all the classes again...!!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-14-2003, 06:37 AM

I don't know yet or not, but would we mind some WRX company??? I could post it on the NASIOC boards and try to get some more people.... I'll wait till I hear what you guys think though....

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...

Last edited by GreenMarine; 05-14-2003 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:36 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I don't see why not to have wrx or any suby company.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:09 AM

Cool Then after I get some more info and we get this thing to solidify, I'll post it on NASIOC for all them to see......

Old 05-15-2003, 07:10 AM

This would be like a whole weekend thing... Ya know like be here sometime friday night 'cause Saturday morning is when the classes start for those who have never jumped before... I may have to go to a refresher corse cause it's been about 2 years since I jumped!!!! I'll post the website to the place and all can check it out....

Old 05-15-2003, 07:16 AM

Here's the link to the Skydiving place where I was hoping on having it.... Really not bad prices... And they take ya up to 14,000ft!!!! Damn I made most of my jumps at 12,500 and 13,000ft... Cool!!! I can't wait to go again!!!!!

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com/tandem_main.php#aff

Old 05-15-2003, 07:31 AM
Porter

TOO COOL!

Haha I'll be there if I can spare the $$.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:37 AM

skydiving

COOOOOOL>.......

Never done it... Always wanted too and 14k feet.. WHooo hoooo.

Free fall anyone!!!!!

That's enough to have some fun with... Atlanta is not far from me .. I should certainly have an SVX back in good condition by then.. So lemme know about Prices and just give me 2 parachutes.....

svx1999
Old 05-17-2003, 06:50 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

I really want to do this!

Wife says it ain't gonna happen.

<<sigh>>

'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 05-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Count me in, as long as it's not Labor Day weekend or the weekend after that. Good choice of DZ, too -- of all the DZs around Atlanta, Skydive Atlanta has the best facilities.

If all a person wants to do is a tandem jump, then he can schedule to jump just about any time of the day -- the instruction takes only about 30 minutes. The morning classes are for people who want to do AFF (accelerated Free Fall) jumps -- that requires about 6 hours of training, so they only start the class in the morning.

If we get enough first timers to commit (either tandem or AFF), they can get a good discount. I've got ~1000 jumps, so I won't count towards your discount.

I strongly recommend getting video. You only make your first jump once, and you really do relive the experience when you watch it later. Plus it's good proof to show friends and family that you really did "jump out of a perfectly good airplane." The DZ may may offer video-only (without stills) for a lower price than video + stills, and possibly a group discount rate on the video too; it's worth asking.

Here's what I was doing last Thanksgiving week: link to cool skydiving pictures. That trip was one of the reasons I wanted an MP3 car stereo in my SVX.

So GreenMarineSVX, how many jumps did you have before you stopped? What license?
Old 05-20-2003, 01:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Follow-up posts should go in this thread here (since this will be a southeastern meet)...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=10743
Old 05-21-2003, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXdc
So GreenMarineSVX, how many jumps did you have before you stopped?
I had just over 20.... They were mostly at Raeford,NC though.... I have to see and make sure that it hasn't been to long that my liscence ran out or something.... It would suck to go back through that 6 hour course.... Oh well, dc you are a damn pro compaired to me!!! 1000 jumps!!!! I don't have that much money.....

Old 05-23-2003, 09:05 AM

oh yeah!!

I have been looking for an excuse to jump out of a airplane.

As long as it is Early September, I am in. I'll be gone 2nd week in august for vacation and 3rd week in August for work; so, September is better.

If anyone else from PA or further north is interested, we should all meet somewhere along the way.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:14 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: which is better svxdc?

hey svxdc, which is a better facility? skydive atlanta or atlanta skydive center? i thought they were the same but apparently they are different. i got prices from atlanta skydive center for the other thread.

the prices for skydive atlanta is as follows:

tandem jump - $189
AFF class package deal - $1100
AFF class in increments - $269 per jump (full class consists of 7 jumps)

apparently each atlanta skydive center is cheaper. and both brag that they are the best in town. both offer 14,000 ft drops.

being a seasoned skydiver in the atlanta area, which do you think is better and more enjoyable. i'm guessing that the experiences are about the same. but have you been to both facilities and which has better customer service ? thanks for the info.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:01 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: which is better svxdc?

Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
hey svxdc, which is a better facility? skydive atlanta or atlanta skydive center? i thought they were the same but apparently they are different. ...
I have been to all of the DZs around Atlanta. Skydive Atlanta (in Thomaston) definitely has better facilities (for one thing, a huge hangar that provides ample shaded space), and better staff IMHO. Their website is http://www.skydiveatlanta.com.

As you discovered, the different DZs will meet each other's prices.

The first AFF jump costs the most, then the prices go down. Their web site shows levels 2-3 at $179, and levels 4-7 at $149 each. The level 1 may be even lower than $269 with a group discount.

BTW, you usually won't do more than two AFFs in a day. Allowing for bad weather days, it can take weeks or even months to go through the whole program (though it's usually as much because people need to spread out the expense). Also, you must pass each level before you go on to the next. It's common for students to have to repeat at least one of the levels.

You can get slightly (emphasis on "slightly") ahead of the game by spending time in the vertical wind tunnels (Pigeon Forge, TN, or Orlando, FL). I went to TN when I got stuck on level 4.