How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Some Random Weirdo

Exhaust suggestions for my SVX for left pipe and flange issue

So I haven't done anything with my SVX after getting all of the work done to it and thinking I had a blown head gasket. Spent over $3K in June and when the car overheated after bringing it back from my mechanics again I just left it sit.

Called another shop last week to have it towed so I can have it flushed and the car was totally dead. Turns out that copper stuff did something to fix it or it was simply an air pocket my previous mechanic missed. Does not look like it has a blown head gasket.....for now. We will see, but it did not overheat again and passed the tests for that.

Car was out of inspection since it had been sitting for 5 months. Figured it would not need anything as it has new tires and brakes, but of course it does need something. My previous mechanic tried to fix an exhaust leak from the flange on the left pipe that did not work enough to pass inspection.

Because it is hooked to a cat, I can't buy it used. Two of them would be over a grand alone less labor new as they are hard to find. No chance I am spending that on this car right before Christmas for a car I spent $3k on this year and never drove. It is obviously not a primary car. I do like it a lot though and wish to keep it.

What are my options here? They failed it for inspection but because it had less than 5K on it this tear (less than 500 on it) it has an emissions exemption. I am confused how it failed for something that is related to emissions when it has an exemption sticker on it, but I don't understand these things to be honest. Do I even need a cat for a car that is emissions exempt? It is a 20 year old car so I am pretty sure in PA it would be exempt going forward regardless. Can I use a straight pipe for this? What kind of suggestions does anyone have in regards to getting this fixed sooner rather than me waiting for when I want to drop money on it to get something better in there? Are there aftermarket exhaust systems for this car? I can really use some help here as I would like to not have it sit another 6 months, but I am not putting a whole lot into it over Christmas for my kid.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:54 AM
Some Random Weirdo

Re: Exhaust suggestions for my SVX for left pipe and flange issue

E-mailed a local tuning shop to see if they would do this and what the cost would be. Any other suggestions? I am at a loss here as to what to do because you can't find much info online.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:44 AM

Registered SVX

right side is still avail new from online dealer, left side shows discontinued.
I am having mine repaired using what was good still of mine right now.
Dropped the exhaust only, off at a restoration shop 2 weeks ago, should be done Monday.

Too bad there is no Bosal/Walker replacements avail like ALL other Subarus.

I was tempted to Buy a same year Wrecked car from Desert SW and have the car shipped, just for a good stock exhaust to replace mine.
might do that next time around, but then I would just want that rust free car instead and crush the Midwest ones.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 11-15-2014, 05:31 PM

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw...lange&_sacat=0
I don't know but here is some flanges ask on the network what ones will fit
I would find a savaged svx and cut them of the pipe and weld them in. Like I am going to do with my clogged converters see you have posted on my thread on exhaust problems
I would not recommend a aftermarket exhaust because most people are not happy with them. so stay factory, aftermarkets get expensive with buying the parts and then labor charge for bending pipe excreta,
but I am frustrated with Subaru for offering one pre-cat side and not the other 44107PA320 you can still get and 44107PA330 is discontinued b.s
then your talking 1400 dollars if they were available but It would be a price I would be willing to pay.
P.S I bought the o.e.m exhaust gasket that has 2 holes it goes between the pre-cats and the front of the main converter and it still leaks. I bought a graphite sheet to make my own here is a link to it.
my friend told me that the o.e.m exhaust gasket holes were too large and it was a design flaw so I found this to make my own
this is for the 96-97 svx's. The 92-94 have donut gasket in front and back
not sure about the 95s

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Graphite-Fle...a780d3&vxp=mtr

Last edited by kjoyes; 11-15-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:33 AM
Some Random Weirdo

Thank you very much.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Some Random Weirdo

Bumped for some more suggestions. If I buy a cat and muffler (what do you suggest) do I just ask a shop if they can fabricate the pipes? I am a total idiot when it comes to this stuff. Just trying to get an idea on what to do here.