SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2002, 04:57 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Unhappy no, no, NO!

Well, driving home from work on Wed, my torque converter lockup problem got more complicated. Driving at about 75 with cruise on, the transmission seemed to completely disengage and just coast. Then, it re-engaged really harshly. It was like it wanted to lockup, but once it did it would just completely disengage as if it were in neutral. Then it would try to lockup again, then it would disengage completely. Engine would still run, no odd revs, just lots of engaging and disengaging. So, I was approaching a stop sign and I was slowing down and the transmission was jerking really bad, so I put it in "3" to lock it up. When I came to a stop, the engine died. Wouldn't start again until I turned it completely off and restarted. So, I started driving again and it didn't act up at all up to 75 MPH. Passed a truck going about 40, and as I was passing it started to do the same thing. Seems to only happen at 65+ MPH. What's going on. Is my tranny dieing?
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 11-28-2002, 05:27 PM
Green1995SVX

What you describe sounds like a common problem that some of the older 6cylinder cavaliers have, but I wont say what it is as the SVX is probably different. Good luck, Mat.

Mike
Old 11-28-2002, 07:36 PM

Que es?

Dude...just tel me. I need to work it out within this month so that I can drive home to NM. If I have to get a new transmission, then I'm gonna consider shipping it to WA for the stage III auto or possibly the 5 speed with .73 final drive. Anyway, send me a PM or something of what you think it is? You said 6 cyl cavaliers, so I assume it has something to do with the engine, not the transmission.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 11-29-2002, 01:05 PM

update

Just bringing this back up to the top of the list. Anybody have any ideas. I'm thinkin' somebody out there has experienced this, or something similar. Anybody?

Old 11-29-2002, 01:10 PM
Green1995SVX

On the cavalier it would be the torque converter clutch solanoid. The 'quick fix' is to unplug the TCC Solanoid harness, and it will prevent the TC from locking up. It gives you crappy gas mileage, but the car will run fine. I'm sure it's not nearly as simple on the SVX.

Mike