How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-26-2002, 12:49 AM
acid23

Unhappy dilema

Alright so I have a 92 Svx and I develop a small belt squeel so first thing, I had my belts replaced, problem fixed, for a week or so. Then I decided to take my car to a local place in town where I go to college and they said the sound was from my under drive bearing seizing up causing my belts to be off. Ok so we fixed that, $150. Problem fixed, for a day atleast. So I took it back to them and said the problem still wasn't fixed, which they took another look at it and decided it was my alternator this time responsible for the squeel, so we fixed that $238 total. Problem was fine for another day until the squeel came back and now my dash lights are coming on whenever i turn my wheel hard left or hard right, so I bring it back to them and said hey fix this please, so after taking another look they decided it was my valve in the power steering pump not opening causing excess pressure which is why i hear the squeel when I turn and they told me they wouldnt service that type of repair so I have to take it to the dealer. Personally Im out roughly $400 hundred dollars and whatever the cost to repair a broken steering rack, any opinions on how i should go about dealing with this problem?
Old 11-26-2002, 12:57 AM
Boone

Re: dilema

Hmm.. mebbe check that the belt tension is right.... and tight. You shouln't be able to move it much pushing on the greatest span. Simple but possible.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:01 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
If your dash warning lights are coming on, that suggests low alternator output. When my alternator failed, I know that I saw four of the lights come on along the strip.

If you're getting a squeal when turning the steering wheel, you may have a bad power steering reservoir o-ring. Try replacing the o-ring between the pump and the reservoir. The part should be less than $2 and might solve the problem.

Here's a how-to on replacing the o-ring. It's a piece of cake.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/1686.html

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-26-2002, 04:18 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The alternator and the p/s are driven by the same belt. When you turn the steering wheel you are requesting more p/s pressure and as a result, more load on the shared belt. If the belt is loose, this request for increased pressure will cause a loose belt to slip and squeal, and seeing how the alternator is also driven by the belt, it will quit spinning fast enough to generate power, thus turning on the dash light.

Now, if these high-tech techs haven't left the belt loose in order to keep you coming back, maybe they should take a close look at the crank pulley. It's a two-piece unit, the center hub connected to the outer pulley with a rubber band type isolator (I'm trying to keep this simple guys.) It isn't uncommon for the rubber to deteriorate and allow the center to spin while the outer pulley does not. A simple way to check this is to watch the crank pulley while the engine is running and a helper turns the steering wheel to one side. If the pulley quits spinning you've found your beast.

BTW, if the above proves to be the problem make sure you get your money refunded for the previous 'repairs'. Obviously they were uneeded and there's no reason for you to pay for their education. Good Luck!

Last edited by Beav; 11-26-2002 at 04:24 PM.