Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 06-27-2006, 09:30 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
I mean the length of the sleeve (in the block) where the piston moves... is that it? 5" ?
A company gave me the details of the EJ22 block, here they are (for sleeves):
Bore: 3.810
OD: 4.201
Length: 4.800

4.8 is shorter than 5... but I guess 4.8 is the one also for our EG33...any confirmation?
Danny, The N/A 2.2l Pistons still lower the CR in an EG33 too low to be worth the while, why are you still trying to pursue this idea?

Tom
Old 06-27-2006, 10:08 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
I mean the length of the sleeve (in the block) where the piston moves... is that it? 5" ?
A company gave me the details of the EJ22 block, here they are (for sleeves):
Bore: 3.810
OD: 4.201
Length: 4.800

4.8 is shorter than 5... but I guess 4.8 is the one also for our EG33...any confirmation?
Using a dial caliper I am now getting 4.814" from the top of the cylinder to NEAR the bottom of the cylinder.
It begins to bell out making it hard to get an exact measurement, without seporating the block halfs.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-27-2006, 11:45 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Danny, The N/A 2.2l Pistons still lower the CR in an EG33 too low to be worth the while, why are you still trying to pursue this idea?

Tom

Tom I am not looking into installing the 2.2L pistons nor its rings. As far as this thread went on, I know that the EJ22 pistons have way of a lower compression than the EG33. And as my search is going on, I have concluded that the 2.2L rings are different than ours. They are 1.2/1.5/3.0 whereas ours are 1.5/1.5/3.0.

What I am shooting at are the Nodular Iron SLEEVES. I was just checking if the EJ22 and EG33 have the same sleeves dimensions, that's all.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:53 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
Using a dial caliper I am now getting 4.814" from the top of the cylinder to NEAR the bottom of the cylinder.
It begins to bell out making it hard to get an exact measurement, without seporating the block halfs.
Hmmm, so Tom should I ask for 5" length in your opinion and then machine it the way I like???

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:06 AM

Back to the beginning

What about a group buy on some forged aluminum pistons? 8.5:1 compression should be good. Did you ever conclude whether the rods from the EG22 are compatible with the EG33? If they are then aftermarket rods might potentally work in our engine.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Maniac modifier

There need to be some requirements that must be met if I were to get in on a group buy.

1. The CR of 8.5:1 is way too low. 9:1 or 9.5:1 would be optimal
2. The piston pins must be able to remain the same(not pressed but held by snap rings)

I would be all for them if you could get your hands on a set of 9.5 or 9.0:1 pistons forged

Tom
Old 06-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
There need to be some requirements that must be met if I were to get in on a group buy.

2. The piston pins must be able to remain the same(not pressed but held by snap rings)

I would be all for them if you could get your hands on a set of 9.5 or 9.0:1 pistons forged

Tom

There are any number of companies that are willing to do this.. Figure 115$ a piston with rings for Wiseco, CP, or Ross... JE's would be more. They'll make whatever compression ratio you'd like, and all you have to do is send them a stock piston, and a description of what you want changed.

Custom pistons are pretty easy to do now days. Almost all of the major piston manufacturers use a CAD-forging/maching method that makes the manufacturing process only slightly harder/more expensive than off the shelf standard designs.

I do not neccesarily agree that 9 or 9.5 to 1 would be optimal. Heck, If you're only dropping it to 9.5, I'd just keep the stock pistons and use meth/alc injection.

I don't want it to be my engine, but no-one has found the "limits" of the EG33 yet. The only people who have broken hardparts have severely detonated, or other such conditions have existed.

As long as you control detonation, and use the proper fuel, I bet everyone here would be amazed at what the EG33 can put down on stock internals.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-28-2006, 03:26 PM

Custom Pistons

Quote:

Tom
Actually I think the difficult part in making a bunch of pistons is setting up the size and dimentions. The only difference between your pistons and mine might be a bit more off the top, so a group buy would still be possible. I would prefer JE pistons. I have heard good things about them. As far as snap rings, I have never heard of that, but I'll take your word for it. While we are getting into specifics, a good ceramic coating might be good. We could even discuss sleaves with some silicon content to help reduce friction. But that might not be an option everyone would be interested in.

Currently my wife has a 2006 FXT. 8.4:1. There is no lag. My WRX is 8:1. There is lots of lag. I would prefer the safety factor of 8.4:1. Its all up to you though. The compression ratio will limit what power you can achieve under boost. If your happy with say 400 HP then your choice with 9.5:1 would be just fine. I just don't want to be limited too much, but still want the drivability of 8.4:1 though, so I don't want to go lower than that.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Maniac modifier

I am not talking about a turbo setup. this would be for my stage 3 built motor. 12lbs on stock internals is really good and I am sure they can hold at least 15. The one thing I am looking for a is a slightly lower CR to run about 20lbs. So a 9.0 is about what I would need to run 20lbs conservatively

Tom
Old 06-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If you're going to go ahead with custom pistons have them lower the CR by increasing the valve reliefs in the piston. After that you'll be able to run a more aggressive cam (more valve lift).

Think it would work?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 AM

Re: EJ22 Turbo pistons

If I get lucky over the next few days and land a tech job in a local shop for a second job, I'll be getting another EG33, rebuild it and shaving the piston crowns down by about .4mm.

We have a machinist over on the RS25 board that's willing to work on oddball stuff so he gets the job. I'll also be running LANs stage 2 chip if he still monitors his web site, if not I'll be self tuning.

Goal is about 350hp as a DD, reliable as possible.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: