Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-13-2012, 06:54 AM

HELP! Crank Pulley Quesion....

My 92's original crank pulley split and I ordered and received an aftermarket lighter one piece (not undersized) pulley online...Problem is that its offset is off...will rip timing belt cover and belts not run straight...I found a large metal washer that will work that's about 1/8" thick..but then the pulley's not seated all the way back and the key is not 100% in contact...WHAT DO YOU THINK? WILL THIS WORK AND NOT DAMAGE MY ENGINE, OR SHOULD I ORDER A PULLEY FROM SUBARU? Please let me know as I miss driving my baby!! MK
Old 06-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: HELP! Crank Pulley Quesion....

I wouldn't use that. I would contact the seller and let them know it is off.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman75 View Post
Problem is that its offset is off...will rip timing belt cover and belts not run straight...I found a large metal washer that will work that's about 1/8" thick..but then the pulley's not seated all the way back and the key is not 100% in contact...WHAT DO YOU THINK?
It is not installed properly. Check the key and correct the discrepancy and you should be ready to go!

Keith
Old 06-13-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
It is not installed properly. Check the key and correct the discrepancy and you should be ready to go!

Keith
Just curious, how could one improperly install a crank pulley such that it was offset too far rearward (i.e. towards the timing cover)?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:53 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Upside down, perhaps?

Who is the manufacturer of the crank pulley (for future reference)?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-14-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Upside down, perhaps?
interesting things can happen when that little "key" doesn't come together with the grove and the pulley exactly as was intended when the system was created...

keith

been there... done that!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:00 AM

Overall depth of pulley just a bit less than original...new pulley made by OBX, can be seen on ebay when search "svx crank pulley"...my guy is trying to decide and if washer will work for offset and he can replace key with a longer one that fits right, then and we may decide to give it a go...If we do it, I will report results...keeping fingers and fan belts crossed for luck!! MK
Old 06-14-2012, 08:15 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

As mentioned, flip the pulley over and try it. From experience, it is better to replace with the correct parts rather than modifying (especially moving parts). Good luck.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

The crank pulley fit is not to be messed with! The aluminum pulleys are already at a disadvantage by being softer than steel - if they don't fit tightly they will develop play in the keyhole and eventually fail. I would not stick a washer in there.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:11 PM

Registered SVX

Ditch the aftermarket crap. Trust me ruining your crank SUCKS. I've had to remill several crankshaft ends/keyways from people improperly installing the crank pulleys. Unless you have access to a tig welder and machining tools, DO NOT run the aftermarket pulley. If you wobble out that keyway hole you will be hating life.

Btw, You dont need one for an SVX. The EG33 is just 1.5 EJ22 motors. Most EJ22 stuff will interswap on the front of that motor (IE: timing belt idlers, the waterpump gear drive, Crank pulley etc)

When my pulley separated ( the outside half would slip on the inside half, so I could grab my fan belts with my hand and actually stop them) (Dont stick your hands into moving parts, I found out that my was slipping because I accidently leaned on the belt with a prybar and thats when I was the belt stop and the crank kept spinning) then I decided to grab the belt lol.

Also, if you were really set on a lighter pulley, There is certain years of crank pulleys that are a bit lighter than other years. The 2.5DOHC engine uses a lighter pulley than the EJ22 does from what I've seen from all the engines I've built. Might be worth hitting up a U Pull it Junkyard and doin some research.