Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Saving an SVX, Literally, From Certain Death

So, my buddy and I decide to head to the junkyard to pick up some parts and on the "intake" side of the junkyard, find an SVX. A 92 ebony with just 90k miles on the clock. Almost completely rust free body, decent seats and all glass in tact. Why was it there? But of course, someone pulled the engine/ECU/harness for a swap, and I don't think it can be done with any more damage. All harnesses up front are cut, the dashboard is in pieces and strewn about the car.

Now for the good/better news. The SVX has not been fully processed which means I can buy it out of there with the clean title it has. It will probably sit for some time since I just recently am moving into some shop space with room for a few cars and this is going to be another longer project. I'm hoping to either carefully splice in the proper connectors to what is left of the harness so I don't have to go through the hassle of replacing all of the wiring. Then adding in the rest of the wiring that was pulled for the swap. Drop in an engine and either a 4.44 or I just so happen to have an automatic Legacy SS which we'll be swapping to 5 spd, so I'll have a spare, rare geared 3.90 auto trans and rear diff just laying around.

Sorry I don't have pics yet. I'll be picking it up by the end of the week.
I keep telling myself no more, and yet, this will be the second one in 2 weeks.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Re: Saving an SVX, Literally, From Certain Death

Few more and you'll surpass Earl!
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 PM

might be able to resurect it with less work using a hydra.

or doing what I am thinking of which is use a STi swap.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:58 PM

May one ask how much the junkyard is selling it to you for?

I've made a couple of failed attempts to buy complete cars out of various yards, but I usually only see them after they've been processed and set out. Last time I asked, a particular yard wanted $100 PER CAR they'd have to move to get out the car I wanted, on top of the purchase price.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 07-23-2011, 11:38 PM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
Few more and you'll surpass Earl!
You know I was thinking about who had more nate or earl lol cus both of the sigs are freaking huge!

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 07-24-2011, 01:48 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
May one ask how much the junkyard is selling it to you for?

I've made a couple of failed attempts to buy complete cars out of various yards, but I usually only see them after they've been processed and set out. Last time I asked, a particular yard wanted $100 PER CAR they'd have to move to get out the car I wanted, on top of the purchase price.
Since there was no engine, ecu, harness, etc and things were strewn about, basically scrap price plus a bit more. If it were running, etc, $800 or more. This is not a normal pick n pull but rather your typical, we pull the parts and charge you big bucks, but because my buddy knows the people who run it, they let us go in back to pull some random bits we might need or use and charge us pretty good prices.
The SVX itself has not been processed fully. It's been put in their inventory but hasn't been gone through to puncture the gas tank, drain all fluids, etc. So its in an area where most of the cars run since people willingly junk halfway decent running cars that just need a few parts but would be big $$ to take it to a repair shop.

Andrew and "lastsvx", I'll never catch up to Earl. I've had as many as he currently owns, but some of them have been/are parts cars or possible parts cars or have been sold. If I had the space and could actually afford all the insurance and registration costs, I'd definitely have a lot more and would probably put every single one I found back on the road.

XT6: Keep in mind, I have tons of parts. Getting it to work with the stock SVX ECU and engine is not a problem. I've currently got 2 spare engine harnesses pulled, and 2 complete engines pulled so the cost is minimal, even if I decided to do an engine reseal before dropping one in. WRX/STI drivetrain would be fun/neat, but unfortunately don't have the funds to drop on a drivetrain that for the same money, I could probably buy at least 5 SVXi instead, or other solid running cars.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Nate, Best of luck with the project. That sounds like my dream SVX, ebony with a 5 speed.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 07-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

Good job...keep up the good work.

The next step would be to get a hold of the people who do this to our cars and "cut off their harness"
Old 07-30-2011, 08:44 PM

Registered SVX

pics as promised. Interior is trashed from the removal, and the hood is beat up, but all glass is good and the body is straight. I had Mike run a carfax and shows up as a 2 owner car and had both rear wheel bearings done at 60k. (now has 90k). It also had a trans cooler added at some point so it was taken care of until the person who stripped out its heart.

Oh, and I've decided to name this one "Lucky". First car I've ever named but find it fitting.

Being carried away from the graveyard

And brought to its new home
Old 07-30-2011, 08:49 PM

Registered SVX

Great body on it. How is it towing it with the dolly? Is this a problem with AWD cars?
Old 07-30-2011, 08:59 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Great body on it. How is it towing it with the dolly? Is this a problem with AWD cars?
Just have to remove the driveshaft. I have towed AWD SVXi over 5k miles in the last few months with a dolly and no issues. Sucks driving an empty dolly since they sway. (an anti sway mechanism would work but I just deal with it) Adding brakes on the dolly axle would help greatly as well with that aspect of towing but having been towing cars well over 50k miles the last year and a half, I know how to leave plenty of braking distance as well as gearing down on the transmission to help slow it down. That being said, still prefer a full trailer and truck, but getting 25mpg with an empty dolly and 18-22 fully loaded with the a/c on really is pretty nice and saves a lot of money.
This one I didn't bother removing the driveshaft since it was about 5 miles, the trans is presumably dead anyways, and 5 miles may or may not have damaged the transfer clutch. Not too sure, don't really care since I have plenty of "broken" transmissions laying around. I'll tear into this one to see if the diff, transfer clutch and anything else is in decent shape. Guessing the original trans (high clutch more specifically) died since it has 90k miles on it. Most of the 92's that I've had and have receipts or know the work, have had failures in the 60-90k range. Even after going in for the TSB for the "campaign filter".

I think I may have found a use for the Legacy SS auto 3.90 trans I'll be pulling to swap it. Means I'll probably be keeping this one after its done

Last edited by 1986nate; 07-30-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:01 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
Good job...keep up the good work.

The next step would be to get a hold of the people who do this to our cars and "cut off their harness"
If only we could David, if only we could.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:49 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I think I may have found a use for the Legacy SS auto 3.90 trans I'll be pulling to swap it. Means I'll probably be keeping this one after its done
I bet 3.9 gears will be perfect for an SVX.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-30-2011, 10:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
I bet 3.9 gears will be perfect for an SVX.
That is the thought. Didn't have a use for it since of the 3 I was previously going to be keeping, 2 will be 5 spd and then the 97 which has a trans in perfect shape. Funny how things work themselves out.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:25 AM

Registered SVX

Nate, great find, best of luck, you the man