How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-19-2011, 03:15 PM
The Molinator

Power Steering System

Does anyone know the capacity of ATF the power steering system holds when normally FULL.. ??

Thanks..
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 05-20-2011, 01:10 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Power Steering System

my specs lists the capacity as 1 quart of dexron II
Old 05-20-2011, 01:25 PM
The Molinator

Oh.. Good! I was hoping for a small capacity.. cuz I put in PS fluid when I recently flushed the system after replacing the O-Ring! My system is miraculously improved as I stated in another thread.. BUT, several members told me to swap for ATF.. the OEM power steering product. They said PS fluid might cause seal and O-Ring leaks.. . YIKES!

When I flushed the system.. I ended up blowing the PS system old fluid all over the place (mainly hood) cuz my tubing blew out of the return PS hose when I briefly turned engine on.

Tom recently recommended sucking out reservoir PS fluid.. and replacing several times with ATF. It seems to hold about a pint (at least?).. SO, I can calculate now the approximate dilution this is creating.

Thanks..
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 05-20-2011, 01:41 PM
The Molinator

1x) One Pint ATF + One Pt PS Fluid = 50% ATF
2x) 1 Pt ATF/1 Pt of 50% ATF = 75% ATF
3x) 1 Pt ATF/1 Pt of 75% ATF = 87.5% ATF
4x) 1 Pt ATF/1 Pt of 87.5% ATF = 93.75% ATF

That's wat I've done so far.. Pretty good. Never will reach 100%.. Does that bother you.. like it bothers ME? Ha!
Old 05-20-2011, 01:51 PM

Registered SVX

if it bothers you take the lines off at the rack, spin pump by hand to empty it and move the wheel back and forth to push out any remaining in the rack. then fill it up and determine your ratio by how much atf it takes to fill the system.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:32 PM
The Molinator

I just might, Bro.. But, if I do this 3 more times.. I'll be up to .. 99.2%

Ha!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:53 PM
The Molinator

I was a chemistry major initially.. We were well aware of how great multiple rinsings could be.. (As opposed to the multiple 50% dilutions I'm doing here).. .

Let's say.. If you remove (drain) all the (PS) fluid out each time.. while you add a different pure (ATF) fluid in to replace.. . CERTAINLY NO MORE THAN 5% MAX WILL REMAIN.. .

So..

1x) Drain all PS Fluid/ADD pure ATF = 95% ATF
2x) Drain all 95% ATF/ADD pure ATF = 99.75% ATF
3x) Drain all 99.75% ATF/ADD pure ATF = 99.9875% ATF and.. .

4x) Drain all 99.9875% ATF/ADD pure ATF = 99.9994% ATF

Pretty severe dilution.. . CoOl !

A lot better than the 50% dilution approach.. but MaYbE insignificant?
Old 05-22-2011, 01:29 PM

Registered SVX

the problem with flushing the ps system by sucking out the fluid and then filling it is most of the fluid never moves. it would be like sucking out your brake master and refilling it, the pressurized fluid pushes on fluid that is already in the rack and the releases it's pressure back into the return side so it doesn't actually flow the fluid in the rack back to the pump very much at all.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:05 PM
The Molinator

OOOPS!!!

But.. Then, why does it pump out from the return hose at 220 mph.. when u detach the return hose from the reservoir and turn the engine on for about a half of a second.. ?

I can hook up a more elaborate (and stable) drain hose for the "high-speed drain technique" .. and GO-FOR-IT again!?

Thanks

P.S. How can I turn the engine over .. without starting the engine.. ?? Is there a wire .. or harness.. I can unplug.. to keep the spark off while turning the engine over? Wunt that be a good way to control the pump out process? Let me know about the way I cud do this without pulling all the plug/coils??
Old 05-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Registered SVX

that is why i would spin the pulley by hand and take the lines off at the rack, with a drain pan there it shouldn't by messy. if you unplug the ignitor or the injectors you can turn the car over and it won't start. really if you just unhook the lines at the rack, spin the pump by hand, and move the wheels back and forth (by hand), it should force all of the old fluid out.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:54 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

If you want the motor to turn over but not start you can just not have the key in and jumper the starter solenoid to the battery + terminal.

I'd just take off the belt and spin the pump by hand though. Seems safer.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-26-2011, 02:37 PM
The Molinator

If I drain ALL OUT.. like from R & P .. then I'll have alot of air in the system.. right? Is that a problem?

Is it better to pump out til reservoir is empty.. then fill it with ATF.. and repeat several times... ???

Thanks..