How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-18-2002, 10:39 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
It would be simple enough to confirm that diagnosis - just drop an exhaust manifold and look inside. Personally, I'd stick with the t-belt theory and have it checked by another mechanic.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:54 AM
Boone

Amen...
Old 09-19-2002, 06:20 AM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
I am not an expert, but a cursory reading of your policy shows that you need a part FAILURE" caused by a DEFECT IN MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP. I don't think carbon buildup would qualify. But talk to your mechanic (but not that dealership you've been going to as they seem useless).

Quote:
Originally posted by CopsodyX

Am I covered? Here's my plan:

http://www.continentalwarranty.com/C...ghMileage.html
Old 09-19-2002, 12:04 PM
CopsodyX

I had the strangest dream last night...I stole a MotorVac machine, and used it with tons of solution, and fixed it...nevermind.

Maybe carbon buildup WOULD qualify, if, say, one of the valves stopped working.

I am going to go back to that Subaru dealer with the diagram one of you guys gave me, and i'm going to demand that they make sure the timing is okay, and I want to see, too.

Oh, and that MotorVac thing...what do you think? Does it intend to clean the valves and such, and how can it possibly clean the throttle body???
Old 09-19-2002, 04:06 PM
The Road Less Traveled

I would *think* an engine flush product will do better at cleaning carbon deposits on valves than an injector flush.

But I'm no expert.

VK
Old 09-19-2002, 04:10 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
Just find someone with 46 chromosomes (be sure to ask) and have them take off the timing belt cover and match this diagram to reality. This will eliminate the most likely source of your immediate distress. This isn't brain surgery.
Priceless. Truly priceless!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-19-2002, 09:48 PM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
I would *think* an engine flush product will do better at cleaning carbon deposits on valves than an injector flush.

But I'm no expert.

VK
Engine flushes are for cleaning lubricated parts.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:49 PM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
I had the strangest dream last night...I stole a MotorVac machine, and used it with tons of solution, and fixed it...nevermind.

Maybe carbon buildup WOULD qualify, if, say, one of the valves stopped working.

I am going to go back to that Subaru dealer with the diagram one of you guys gave me, and i'm going to demand that they make sure the timing is okay, and I want to see, too.

Oh, and that MotorVac thing...what do you think? Does it intend to clean the valves and such, and how can it possibly clean the throttle body???
You'd have better luck by stealing an ultrasonic device intended for destroying kidney stones.

Why on earth would you take your car back to them? Take a deep breath and get some oxygen flowing up top...

Last edited by Beav; 09-19-2002 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:52 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

You'd have better luck by stealing an ultrasonic device intended for destroying kidney stones.
lol!!!

I'm gonna fight with those *****es for my money back.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:31 PM
Boone

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Why on earth would you take your car back to them? Take a deep breath and get some oxygen flowing up top...
Beav, I don't think there has been much activity on top since we all told him to get his money back when he bought it last May. Deja Vu

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...2443#post42443

Last edited by Boone; 09-19-2002 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:31 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone

Beav, I don't think there has been much activity on top since we all told him to get his money back when he bought it last May. Deja Vu

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...2443#post42443
Don't even go there. I tried, and it's a LONG story, a full 12 pages. I will post it when i'm done with court. I'm not BSing or anything, it'll just be easier to explain after the judges' ruling.

Latest: The rotors warped, and I drove car like that for 2 weeks. Pads had 80% on them last month. One day, car is making grinding noise when pressed, immediately. Get home, and the pad actually falls off, the front passenger side pad. WTF? And, the pad was actually melted into a strange shape...I wish I had a digicam to show.

Left car sitting for 2 days. Today, I was going to bring car to brake place to install cross drilled rotors, and new discs. Car started perfectly. Smooth...no problem. Press gas to go, it goes very slowly. I took my foot off the gas, and the car upshifted into 2nd gear at about 15 MPH. Pressed the gas halfway, and the car accelerated very little. Floored it, and it downshifted into 1st gear, and the max RPM it would go to was 2,500 (remember, this is the engine speed that there and below has no power, but once above, has full power). The car simply couldn't break 2,500 RPM. I turned around, and went home to try to think.

Put car in neutral, and floored it. The car WAS, for the first time, hesitant below 2,000 RPM, but after that, it went smoothly to redline, and bounced on the rev limiter.

So, I figure i'll let it sit until Wednesday, my next free day, and have the brakes done, and then bring the car to a Subaru dealer about 20 miles from me.

But, if anyone has any other ideas, i'm all ears. Does anyone think that hot airflow problem idea holds any water?

One more thing: I was just thinking that when I sprayed the engine bay with water to clean burning fluids, the check engine light was on for a day, and the engine shook for a while, like water got IN the engine, and the car hesitated a small bit after that. Has anyone ever had a problem cleaning their SVX's engine bay?

Thanks in advance,
Joey.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:08 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Joe,

I still think the MAF's a possibility despite the previous owner having changed it. The symptoms are remarkably similar to the problems I had before I changed it out from one I bought off Harry Newman (newsvx).

If you can't find a cheap one to swap in, then take it to the dealer and have them hook up the select monitor to see what the readings are off the MAF.

EDIT: Your fuel mileage is a clue as well... Though mine wasn't down to 13MPG when it had problems, I have improved it from about 15-16MPG to about 18-19MPG after swapping the MAF, for my Toronto city driving.

VK

Last edited by vkykam; 09-24-2002 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:00 AM

Quote:

. Floored it, and it downshifted into 1st gear, and the max RPM it would go to was 2,500 (remember, this is the engine speed that there and below has no power, but once above, has full power). The car simply couldn't break 2,500 RPM. I turned around, and went home to try to think.

Put car in neutral, and floored it. The car WAS, for the first time, hesitant below 2,000 RPM, but after that, it went smoothly to redline, and bounced on the rev limiter.

But, if anyone has any other ideas, i'm all ears.
Thanks in advance,
Joey.
Joey, I had a different car but similar simptoms so I thought that I would share them, and maybe that will prompt some other thoughts.

I had an 86 Nissan Stanza Wagon AWD which my wife acquainted with a local deer. I had noticed an identical wagon that had been for sale at a mechanic along my route to work. I test drove it but it had a nasty hesitation below ~ 3000 rpm. Above that it ran fine. The mechanic told me that he just did not have time to work on the issue and it probably just needed a good tune-up (lying sack of sh*t!).

I stupidly bought the car figuring my regular mechanic could easily fix the issue. I replaced the O2 sensor and the cracked intake manifold, did a complete tune up without any success. Finally took it to my mechanic and he worked on it for almost 2 weeks trying different things. Fortunately I had bought the old wreck from the insurance company so we had plenty of spare parts to try. The most likely culprit was the very simple ECU but a swap did nothing to improve the situation. I did have a Nissan Shop manual that I left with him and he started tracing wires only to find that someone had crossed two wires going to the ECU because it was bad, and doing the cross enabled the car to run.

So, possibly similar simptoms and maybe similar root cause.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:09 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by mattski

Joey, I had a different car but similar simptoms so I thought that I would share them, and maybe that will prompt some other thoughts.

I had an 86 Nissan Stanza Wagon AWD which my wife acquainted with a local deer. I had noticed an identical wagon that had been for sale at a mechanic along my route to work. I test drove it but it had a nasty hesitation below ~ 3000 rpm. Above that it ran fine. The mechanic told me that he just did not have time to work on the issue and it probably just needed a good tune-up (lying sack of sh*t!).

I stupidly bought the car figuring my regular mechanic could easily fix the issue. I replaced the O2 sensor and the cracked intake manifold, did a complete tune up without any success. Finally took it to my mechanic and he worked on it for almost 2 weeks trying different things. Fortunately I had bought the old wreck from the insurance company so we had plenty of spare parts to try. The most likely culprit was the very simple ECU but a swap did nothing to improve the situation. I did have a Nissan Shop manual that I left with him and he started tracing wires only to find that someone had crossed two wires going to the ECU because it was bad, and doing the cross enabled the car to run.

So, possibly similar simptoms and maybe similar root cause.

Matt
Interesting...

I'll post here after I check most of the stuff in this room. Thanks alot guys.