Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-09-2002, 08:42 AM
DownEastSVXer

Intro and a question

Hi,

A hopefully short introduction and a easy question (being an educator for 30 years I have never been good at doing either of these things), anyway here goes. My wife and I live in the woods of Maine and both work in public education. She is a second grade teacher and I am the tech director for a school district. Have always been into interesting autos. Currently we own the following: 56 MGA; 67 Volvo 1800s; 90 Jag XJS conv; 95 Mazda Miata M edition; 95 Saab 900SE conv; 96 Ford Explorer; 99 Winnebago Rialta and now a 94 Subaru SVX LSI. Crazy I know and my wife tells me that every time an insurance bill comes our way! As you can see most of autos are fun good weather ones that a winter in Maine would take a toll on. And trust me the winters in Maine can be 6 months long!

In the past I have stored all but the Explorer and one interesting “WinterBeater”. These so called “WinterBeaters” have been one of the things that allow me to stay almost sane as driving the Explorer is safe but BORING. Generally I purchase them and run on all good weather winter days for about 3 years and then sell and buy a replacement. The past list is quite varied: 70 Honda Z600 coupe; 70 Citroen DS 21; 70 Jensen Interceptor; 85 Jag XJ-6 and for the last couple of years 89 Jag XJ-S conv.

I intended to get a Volvo 1800 for the next couple of winters but the one I purchased during the summer on ebay was too good to subject to a Maine Winter so into storage it goes and I needed to search out a replacement. Enter the SVX, I have always loved the car, but have not wanted to pay the high cost of one new. The only ones I could seem to afford for it’s intended use were early models with the motorized belts (something I refuse to have, be it the dark days of Saabs,Jags or anything for that matter).

Almost broke my rule of paying too much for car when a mint 97 showed up at the local dealer this summer ($17K). Got there with $$ in hand to find out someone had beaten me to the punch! Started watching ebay and auto-finder only to find a great buy in the Boston area only a couple hundred miles awayThe car I purchased is a red 94 LSI in what I think is great shape. It has 102k on it. The PO started at $6700 and I was able to purchase it for $5,750. The only thing I have found that doesn’t currently work is the AC (the po had told me about that).

Now before I get flamed I need to say again that my main reason for purchasing this car is to continue to enjoy motoring even during the winter months in Maine. For that to occur it needs to be able to not only get me to work, appointments and the like, but also to get me and my play toys (mountain bikes and skis) to play areas. That said on to my question. I have checked the archives about trailer hitches as my racks both skis and bikes are hitch ones. Saw that some others had interest in these as well but didn’t find an answer. Also I understand the feeling of others about putting a hitch on a car like the SVX. But enjoying a car to its fullest is more important to me than the look of a class II hitch. In fact I put one on my mint Jag as well. Has any one had success on the hitch hunt?

Thanks
DownEastSVXer
Old 09-09-2002, 09:24 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Intro and a question

Quote:
Originally posted by DownEastSVXer
But enjoying a car to its fullest is more important to me than the look of a class II hitch. In fact I put one on my mint Jag as well. Has any one had success on the hitch hunt?
Firstly, welcome to the wacky network.

I've seen a picture of a hitch on a SVX before. However, that was the SVX in New Zealand. If the New Zealander can put a hitch on the SVX, I assume we can too. Just make sure you are not towing anything too heavy.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-09-2002, 09:25 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Welcome. You will enjoy your SVX if you follow a few simple rules.

1. Change fluids often.
2. Don't over use the transmission.

Here in lies your problem. The SVX transmission can barely move the car, much less a car and trailer. Unless you have the transmission cooled extremely well, it will cook, even in winter. Do a search on external coolers and you will find out what I am talking about.

With that in mind, you will have to have a universal hitch mounted and it will require cutting away some of the back bumper. The hitch can easily be mounted to the rear frame rails where the bumper mounts, it will simply require a lot of work to fit by drilling new mounting holes or buying adapter plates.

Good luck and enjoy this great car.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 09-09-2002, 09:31 AM
DownEastSVXer

Hitch use

Hi all,
Just a quick clarification the hitch will not be used to tow or pull anything. That’s what I have the explorer for. The only use of the hitch would be to carry either two bikes or two sets of skis.

Thanks for info so far.

DownEastSVXer
Old 09-09-2002, 09:35 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Hitch use

Quote:
Hi all,
Just a quick clarification the hitch will not be used to tow or pull anything. That’s what I have the explorer for. The only use of the hitch would be to carry either two bikes or two sets of skis.

Thanks for info so far.

DownEastSVXer
Ah... I see.

try the sporting shops. They may have what you are looking for.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 09-09-2002, 09:41 AM

I would almost think that a roof rack might be easier and cheaper in the long run.
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:19 AM
Ca$h

If you have the fold down rear seat the skis shouldn't be a problem.

But yeah, get a roof rack.

- Ca$h
Old 09-09-2002, 10:22 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Hitch

I spent about a year searching for a hitch. Draw-tite I think would've been happy to make one for it so long as I went up to Canada and waited while they custom made it. Price about $650. I too wanted it for skis and towing my 400lb sailboat (there's no difference between carrying 4 people and towing a sailboat unloaded). B/c of the expense I just decided to by a Brat for all my dirty jobs.

A couple of local shops said they could probably do something with the tow hooks to fab a mount as well but I can just picture the frankenstein look back there where it once was a clean rear bumper.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:19 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Do any of your schools have a welding program? You might approach a shop teacher or two. If you're only using it for a bike and ski rack it wouldn't have to be very elaborate, and they could make it a bolt-on affair. That way if you don't like the look of it you can take it off easily.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:24 PM
bmicro

Hi,

I just put my toys inside! Put down the back seat, and I can fit my mountain bike (cannondale) in with the wheels off. Then, for skiing, just put the skis in the back (my XC ski 185cm skis fit in diagonally or down the middle on top of the center console.

I have found that i NEED bridgestone blizzaks for winter use. My summer tires just slide around too much. Sure is a great car!
Old 09-09-2002, 09:15 PM

Hi! and welcome. Try doing a search for roof racks as there were some discussions on this topic. I know Rola makes a rack that fits the SVX and there are a few members that currently have one on their cars. I believe (memory isn't quite what it used to be) these racks have adapters for bikes, skis and snowboards. Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

Keith
Old 09-09-2002, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Snow tires yup yup!

Quote:
Originally posted by bmicro
I have found that i NEED bridgestone blizzaks for winter use. My summer tires just slide around too much. Sure is a great car!
Gotta second this notion. If you live where it snows and the snow sticks around, you'll be realatively miserable w/o snow tires on your SVX. The first day it snows around here, the summer tires come off mine in a big hurry. The difference is like night and day.

I have a set of Toyo Observe-Studless which I've used for the past 2 winters with much happiness. I'd definately recommend them if you're looking for snow tires. The PO had them for a winter as well, and they still look like new treadwise.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 09-09-2002, 09:43 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Hitch use

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks for info so far.

DownEastSVXer
There is an SVX in Beaverton, Oregon with a hitch receiver sticking out of the lower part of the rear bumper. The owner did all the work, it is used only as a bike rack receiver.
He's not a member but if you are interested in calling him I can dig up his phone.

I have 4 Blizzaks for sale. 225/50R16
80% tread remaining. Offers?