Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 PM
It's pronounced "Bee Rad."

Engine Bay modification

Hey everyone, I tried using the search as much as possible before starting this thread, but no luck.

Anyway, anyone know how hard / impossible / not-worth-it it'd be to relocate some of the under-hood components, mainly the fuse box and coolant reservoir. I've already read a few threads about moving the battery, and the windshield wiper reservoir isn't an integral component to the operation of the engine, so it could be removed completely without much fuss, I would imagine.

I'm trying to brainstorm some ideas for that whole "two intake two air filter one MAF" mod that I was reading up on earlier today, but I could use some ideas to make more room under the hood, if I ever try to go from Idea to Reality.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Network Design Administrator

I would think the fusebox would be your biggest hurdle/headache.

Think of the rewiring!
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:24 PM

Fuse box

Yeah, that's what I figured would be one of the bigger problems, since any more wiring added to it would probably add the slightest bit more resistance and throw a few things off slightly electronics wise, right?

I'd think the coolant reservoir would be a bit of a pain too, but all that would be is new tubing and finding a place to put the darn thing.

Compared than those two, everything else should be relatively easy. The air box would come out anyway, the wiper fluid reservoir is expendable, and there's plenty of information on here about moving the battery.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:53 PM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

i wouldn't mess with the fuse box, the svx is prone to electrical gremlins as is, and when you get under the fuse box there is a cruise control vac right below, that wouldn't be fun either... but the other stuff sure, i've been w/o washer fluid container for ever. you could relocate the charcole canister too pretty easily.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
There's plenty of room for the coolant reservoir once you've moved the battery
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Curious

I'm curious. What are you trying to accomplish by moving components? I notice you have a 96, so performance improvements are going to be more difficult than with earlier years.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 03-17-2008, 01:09 PM

It's nothing, really. During my free time (which is a LOT of time) at work, I play around in MS paint doodling little heres and theres for my SVX.

Like I said earlier I read a thread about making two air-intake hoses coming to the single throttle body housing area but still using only 1 MAF. I'm 100% sure I'd never try doing this, but I just get bored and doodle.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:33 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
It's nothing, really. During my free time (which is a LOT of time) at work, I play around in MS paint doodling little heres and theres for my SVX.

Like I said earlier I read a thread about making two air-intake hoses coming to the single throttle body housing area but still using only 1 MAF. I'm 100% sure I'd never try doing this, but I just get bored and doodle.
Do you not realise that presenting a problem and asking questions, requires others to spend a LOT of their free time and effort. Your play time has been selfishly spent .

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-17-2008, 04:46 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:

Why the hell didn't you come to the Wilmington NASIOC Dyno meet MARINE?!?! I was the only SVX there and sure could have used some company!!

j/k

I expect to see you at the next one though

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-18-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post
Why the hell didn't you come to the Wilmington NASIOC Dyno meet MARINE?!?! I was the only SVX there and sure could have used some company!!

j/k

I expect to see you at the next one though

~ Chris
Well hell, sir, If I had known I would've shown up! I'm trying to avoid driving mine too much till I get my wheel bearings replaced though. Tell me where to keep track of such meets, and I'll do my best to show some time.

Also to Trevor,
Not to sound rude, but I don't demand answers from anyone. I simply posted a thread about something and was hoping someone wouldn't MIND taking a few minutes of their time to comment on it. If you lost days of your time trying to wrack your brain for one of my fleeting fancies, I'm sorry.

Also, sorry if I sound like I'm venting, I'm feeling a bit miffed right now. See thread http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43831 for why
Old 03-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Looks and smells great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Do you not realise that presenting a problem and asking questions, requires no one to spend a LOT of their free time and effort. Your play time has been wisely spent musing about SVXes.
Fixed it for you.
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Well hell, sir, If I had known I would've shown up! I'm trying to avoid driving mine too much till I get my wheel bearings replaced though. Tell me where to keep track of such meets, and I'll do my best to show some time.
Try www.NASIOC.com and http://flat4nc.com

On NASIOC go to the Southeast Region forums...

Just talk to the other Subaru owners on base there with you... They told me that they had asked you to go to the Dyno meet but you didn't want to go or something...

~ Chris

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...

Last edited by GreenMarine; 03-20-2008 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:54 AM

Ahh.. I think i know exactly who that was. He didn't tell me it was a NASIOC thing though. Plus he scammed outta work early that day, which I don't have such luxury; I actually have responsibilities in my shop, and he doesn't

Anyway. I'll look into it some more, might be able to get around to going once I get my bearings replaced and such.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Ahh.. I think i know exactly who that was. He didn't tell me it was a NASIOC thing though. Plus he scammed outta work early that day, which I don't have such luxury; I actually have responsibilities in my shop, and he doesn't

Anyway. I'll look into it some more, might be able to get around to going once I get my bearings replaced and such.
Bad thing about bearings, if they're not replaced correctly then you'll be doing them again in a few months... Best thing to do with them is to just bite the bullet and take it to the dealership... Atleast then you get a 12 month warranty on all the labor. I got to the point where I take my car to the dealership for EVERYTHING. And I only let the Master Tech work on it. No one else touches or drives my car. So find yourself a good mechanic with Subaru to get your wheel bearings done. It'll be alot better than doing them yourself...

~ Chris