How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 02-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Sure, 2 responsable people might take it out to a desolate road, and nothing might happen. However for every say 20 events of this nature, maybe 1 accident will occur, and it's the few taht ruin it for the many, so that it's publically accepted as bad.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 12:47 PM
building more AK47's

I guess the "glamourizing" of street racing is why people still do it. Look at what hollywood has done to achieve this. Everybody thinks they have a "10 second street car" and are to lazy and cheap to take it to the track on Friday or Saturday nights. Put this together with the "invincible teenager" in mom and dads honda and disasters like this will continue to happen. I see "pro drivers" in my small town driving like they are Dom Toretto and Brian Spilner daily putting my life and my kids lives in danger and it pisses me off. Take it to the track in the summer and build your "Fast and Furious" driver in the winter-nuff said
Old 02-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
...the people standing int he road, as it seems were in their 40's to 60's

Should be old enough to know better.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
I look at it like this... I DONT CARE WHAT THE REASON, YOU SHOULD BE IN CONTROL! Now, I understand, by me there are slick roads, I have seen more crashes due to slick roads then anything else, but lets face it, if you are going 30mph and the conditions are only safe for 25mph, then you are going too fast.

Quote:
The first half of the first sentence of that story tells you why the drivers are at fault:
"A car plowed into a group of street-racing fans obscured by a cloud of tire smoke on a highway Saturday..."
No street race, no street-racing crowd in the highway.
dcb

So, I guess if I saw a thick fog ahead of me (dont care from what) I would not plow into it head on, I would slow down.
Also, if you look at that road, it is a backwoods highway, those roads are not 55+mph, they are 40-50mph.
I am not saying I am for racing (and not saying I dont race) but if you are going to, then try to do it where people cant be stupid and follow you into the street.

watch the shame on you's come flying...
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast View Post
Now, i try to act my age, not my IQ, but this does not seem to be the racers fault. It was the people watching them act like morons fault. It is also the guy in the white cars fault, i dont see how the two guys in the cars that were racing could be to blame here.
Guess what, in life you have to make choices, so are good and help you along the way, some really dont matter, and others are poor and could cost you the more then you want. The people there made a choice to stand in a road and not listen for trafic comming. That was their choice, they paid for it. The white car made a choice to go faster then was really needed (150ft skidmarks?) he SHOULD pay the price, thou the police seem to think it not his fault. No where in this story do I read and the street racer crashed into an oncomming car, or they hit a pedestrain, so I disagree, it is NOT their fault at all.

WE had a couple guys that were brothers playing with their chevrolets on rt 220, (also in Md) One of them slid about 200 ft on the top of his camaro and blasted clear through a car that contained a poor working stiff on his way to work. Then he did what was expected, he jumped into his brother's car and LEFT!! The highway was closed for 3 hours while the 'reconstruction' team put it all together, making all the other working stiffs drive about 20 miles out of their way to get to work.

The poor guy in the 'on-coming', saw a shower of sparks and then St. Peter.
I doubt if he even had a clue what was about to KILL him.

HE wasn't watching the race, he was going to work to provide a living for the wife and kids that miss him!

This happened next to a prison. The driver that 'killed and ran' is now a resident of that prison. I just hope he has a window that looks out over the 'scene of the crash'.

That's WHY they make RACETRACKS!!!

There is a strong 'History' of Street Racing in our area. Some legal, some not. There was a time when the cars were TRAILERED to the appointed place, spare tires stacked up, etc.
Cars with radios were sent both ways to pronounce the course 'clear'. This was not-legal street racing perfected. There was none of the stuff that 'they' use against us left to chance. (yea, there were 9 second cars there), then there was the place where the 11 second or more cars met. Not as refined as the bigger dogs, but no bad things happened.

In the 30's we had the first hillclimb in Md. It was on a road called " Breakneck". Sages came from all over the country to run that hill! It was a LEGAL street race. Last year, our Delegates got a LAW passed to allow Street Racing on the highways of MD again. This time, the hill is on Gilpin Road. It is located about 10 miles from the Breakneck course.

The 'Powers' do allow street racing if no one gets KILLED!

I just hope they don't 'rethink' the law that they passed last year over IDIOTS!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 02-18-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
However for every say 20 events of this nature, maybe 1 accident will occur, and it's the few taht ruin it for the many, so that it's publically accepted as bad.
Yeah, and not every drunk who gets behind the wheel kills some innocent motorist, but the few who do give a bad name to the drunk drivers who haven't yet taken a life.

dcb
Old 02-20-2008, 07:16 AM

former racer

8 dead is a real huge number,and yes I have raced in the past myself.I feel sorry about what happen because what mother would have a child at street race,me and some buddies that have seen all types of races an concluded one thing the witness is lying.Looking at the white car and the damage,I think it was one of the cars racing and lost control at the finish line in that deep curve,I have heard of accidents where 5 second 1/8 mile racing on the street losing it at the finish line,just my 2 cents.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:00 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredx2 View Post
8 dead is a real huge number,and yes I have raced in the past myself.I feel sorry about what happen because what mother would have a child at street race,me and some buddies that have seen all types of races an concluded one thing the witness is lying.Looking at the white car and the damage,I think it was one of the cars racing and lost control at the finish line in that deep curve,I have heard of accidents where 5 second 1/8 mile racing on the street losing it at the finish line,just my 2 cents.
Haven't seen you post in a while... Hows the svx?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-20-2008, 03:09 PM

former racer

I have always been here watching,but this story is real tragic.The svx is running great.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredx2 View Post
this story is real tragic.
I think that about sums it up.

Racing is dangerous on the track, driving on the street is dangerous.

It is not the race that is most dangerous, it is the adrenaline. No individual can controll this, on the track it is simply separated and controlled to significantly reduce the problems.
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian View Post
I think that about sums it up.

Racing is dangerous on the track, driving on the street is dangerous.

It is not the race that is most dangerous, it is the adrenaline. No individual can controll this, on the track it is simply separated and controlled to significantly reduce the problems.
Reducing problems is the key. Regestering at a sanctioned event, participating, and drawing 'bragging rites' from YOUR performance tells it all.

I have been beaten by a member of this forum on a couple occasions. I heard that he was in town, so I went to where he was to shake his hand and share a few stories and some 'adult beverages', this very day!
What we have is a 'Holsome' compitition. We will meet again on the tarmac. One of us will win, one will lose. However it turns out THAT day will have NO effect on the friendship! There is always another 'mod', another day.
We were not about to head to the street to settle jack $*!t.
WE will take it to the track. WE will settle this in a way that will not endanger anyone else. This matter will be settled until we meet AGAIN on the TARMAC, where $h!t might happen to the former 'victor', and the tables will turn.
The whole concept of 'victory' hinges on so many things that we have no control over.
Prep has a lot to do with it. Skill is a major factor. but there is always LUCK.

Last year. he burned his fingers on MY ride to help me beat him,( which I didn't). This year, I might have to burn my fingers to help him.

I have given parts to a competor before. I have worked on cars that a competitor drove. It's not 'ALL' about winning. It's about 'the SPORT', with a healthy dose of 'Sportsmanship' thrown in! The guys that will not lift a finger to help a competitor are NOT sportsmen.

Here's the line. Which side do you fall on??????????

This is not totally fitting for the original intent of the 'post', but I feel that it could be viewed as an 'educational tool' for the young racers that feel that it 'HAS to be settled today'. It does NOT!! It can wait. There is no need to ruin your LIFE over 'ego'.

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 02-20-2008 at 10:24 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: