SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
The BEST read ever.

With a title like this, you must think I have gone nuts.

No, this is .5 (point five) serious.

I am a very reserved, shy individual in person. Seeing this, a few (5 or 6) months back my boss asked if he gave me a book, would I read it. He's a really neat guy. Self-made businessman, never gets mad, even when I backed into a tow truck with my work vehicle and broke his door.

A real "oh well **** happens" kinda guy.

Anyway, I started to read this book a couple weeks ago, mostly because I had to fly 15+ hours. I hate reading books. I did enough of that when I was little and in school.

Ok. The book.
This is not good in the way Sphere or Jurassic park was good (can't remember the names of anything else I've read, it's been that long).
I think a lot of people could do well to take the advice written here, especially me since I enjoy condemning and finding fault in people so much.

Well, you can't read it here, you'll have to buy or borrow it, so here is some links to what it's about.

(almost forgot to put the title)

"How to Win Friends and Influence People"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_...fluence_People

I'll be damned, I guess you can read it. Here it is.

http://www.targetitmarketing.com/ebo...in-friends.pdf

I've already begun implementing some of the ideas. One of my better friends has been changing as a person, and I scolded him, and let him know that I felt he was not of sound mind, that he had psychological problems, and was just an all around undesirable person.

It wasn't until recently I realize what I had been saying was hurting him, though he wouldn't admit it. I can read him like a billboard, I know him so well (I know the last two sentences contradict, but if that bothers you, I can clarify, if you want. sometimes I "realize" something I already know). I had been hurting him with my analyzations and magnifying his resentment towards both of us. He said things that made me angry, but it wasn't his fault I was getting angry. What I said made him angry, and I did it because I was not respecting his decisions, however paranoid or delusional they may be (however paranoid or delusional I convinced myself they were).

My personal matters aside, I have decided to hold back my disagreements and sarcasm, or criticisms, whatever I have a habit of using to an ends in order to get someone to change into what I want them to be or understand. I've never been a prejudicial person but I do often belittle people because I feel I am better than them, or more correct [than them], and one of my faults is if I do not win I become angry. The solution is to stop competing. That's going to be hard to do. (That is a kind of vague, dumbed down solution, but I am trying to avoid as many specifics as possible here)(oh, also I never do this anywhere but online. in the world I am far too reserved to belittle someone, which is why I do not have real world enemies)

I am not going to insinuate that anyone needs this, but if you are one of the people who cannot rely on certain ancient scripts to guide your social interaction, this is the good book to have.

Yes, I have jumped on the "A ____ read" bandwagon (or is it water wagon).

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 01-09-2008 at 09:18 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: