Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-05-2007, 02:04 PM

new to svx and have problems

hey guys first off just like the nissan turbo ka forums this site is a sanctuary from idiots and very well maintained. i have a 1992 svx, it has an oil leak most likely the valve cover gaskets and the tranny feels like its time for a swap. so on to my problem after reading somewhere that disconecting the relay located behind the battery against the inner fender you would notice a difference with the tranny.
while driving around a few miles with it disconected the car at stop lights would completely die or come close. i plugged the relay back in and it still did it after a few more miles it would die and not want to start, and now it just turns over with no firing. i am in a class all day and dont have time to check it all out any help would be appreciated thanks guys.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
The resistor behind the battery would have nothing to do with it. It simply regulates the line pressure on the transmission. Sounds like it is just coincidental and something just went bad. Try looking in the how-to section and check the codes in the ECU. If that turns up nothing, Then determine which of the 2 your not getting: Fuel or spark. Take out a coil pack and spark plug and ground the side of the spark plug to the engine and crank the engine while watching the plug. If that is firing, Try popping off the fuel line closest to the front of the car coming from the fuel filter(be careful and have a rag handy) and aim it into a cup or container of some sort and turn the key on for 3 seconds and back off one time. If there is no gas in the container, You have no fuel meaning a dead fuel pump or clogged filter. No spark is the more common cause though and could be caused by various sensors going bad. Let us know what you find out and we'll work on it from there.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:26 PM

thanks i'll check it out tommorrow and no cel so yeah but thats the plan 1. check fuel, and spark then start with other overly spendy crap. thanks for the advice
Old 07-06-2007, 02:32 PM

still no luck it will start now that i adjusted the idle to like 1200 rpms but as it gets hot it just dies. also with the maf not connected to anything but the plug i hear a clicking somewhere in the manifold area when i fidget with the plug wires. i mean damn 1800 for a subaru svx sounded good but c'mon this car is a joke
Old 07-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound240sx
still no luck it will start now that i adjusted the idle to like 1200 rpms but as it gets hot it just dies. also with the maf not connected to anything but the plug i hear a clicking somewhere in the manifold area when i fidget with the plug wires. i mean damn 1800 for a subaru svx sounded good but c'mon this car is a joke
Sounds like a bad connection on the MAF may be causing this. Try some electronics cleaner on the plug and make sure the wires are all good and so on.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:27 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound240sx
How did you adjust the idle? Did you adjust the throttle linkage?

"also with the maf not connected to anything but the plug". Do you mean with the plug disconnected/romoved from the MAF.? Connected normally? ( One would not expect any other additional connection.)

On the basis of intuition, rather than the facts exactly as reported, I would suggest that you investigate the Auxiliary Air Control Valve and/or the By-Pass Air Control Solenoid Valve, together with related hose connections.

I do not agree that the car is a/the joke.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:07 PM

no this one to me is as i know nothing of the h-6 engine and went from nissan to this by disconnected i mean unscrewed and unclamped from the air box and intake pipe but still hooked to the electrical plug i.e. holding in my hand while plugged in and not running the car.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:14 AM

Registered SVX
Therefore as when you moved the plug connection something happened, it would appear that there must be poor electrical contact at this point.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-09-2007, 04:40 PM

well the cel check came up with crank angle sensor (no. 2 svx) great a quote said 234.60 + shipping for my """""""DEPENDABLE DAILY DRIVER"""""" could the code be thrown by anything else like timing belts, oil leak getting on the sensor, ect.ect. by the way it will be for sale shortly after i get it running and my nissan gets done with the ls1/ t56 conversion let me know if your in the gulfport mississippi area.