Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-20-2006, 01:45 PM

By the way, you can try cleaning the IAC without pulling off the throttle body. When you find that inlet hose that goes to the IAC, pull it off of the main air tube and spray throttle body cleaner into it. You obviously can't see if it was dirty and you're cleaning anything, but it's a cheap and easy try at a fix.

If you have to hold your foot on the throttle to keep the car running, it may very well be that the IAC is not letting any air through. If the problem persists after the car is warmed up, it is not the Aux. Air Control valve.
Bill
Old 10-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The dealer already has my car. If I had found all of this out before I took the car in, I would have tried that myself.

At least I stopped them from ordering an Aux Valve (the part number I listed in my first post). That bugs me a bit that they thought replacing the aux valve would have fixed the stall problem.

Since they have my car now (and I'm having them do a 90K service too), I've asked them to try just cleaning the (primary) Idle Air Control Valve. The tech is going to remove it to look at it, and will let me know if he thinks cleaning it will work or if there appears to be something more serious wrong with it.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:05 PM

Send a message via MSN to SVXplorer
Out of curiosity, what was the cause of your stalling? You didn't post an outcome.

My car is now having similar problems (dropping and fluctuating rpms and stalling only on braking, not while coasting, no CEL, starts again easily), so any added input would be very helpful.

1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver, 106k mi. "Alice." Brand-rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 16" Rage Vigor, PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Problem fixed

The stalling problem was solved after the dealer cleaned the (primary) Idle Air Control Valve. They charged me 1/2 hour labor (on top of the 90K service).

It didn't occur to me until it was too late to ask them to save the old air filter. I would have liked to have seen how dirty it was.

Sorry for not posting a follow-up sooner.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:02 AM

That's a pretty excellent outcome. A half hour of labor isn't bad at all.