Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2006, 02:37 PM

Registered SVX
Oil Light at idle

Just recently my oil light has been coming on at idle when the car is warmed up. Tach shows around 500rpm when light comes on. Is there an idle adjustment somewhere? The light goes out with just a little more throttle. Anybody have similar experience? Only change was a new PVC valve and that was weeks before the light started. Where should I BE LOOKING? THANKS IN ADVANCE !!!
Old 11-25-2006, 05:07 PM

There is no real idle adjustment, it is automatically controlled by the ECU. some people will claim you can re-adjust the TPS or the throttle cables, but eventually, the ECU will reset it to the proper factory setting of 610 RPMs at idle. I would reccomend checking the oil level, add some more if needed, and see what happens.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:09 PM

place to start

Check your oil. Just a thought.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:23 PM

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Oil light at idle

Checked oil level when light first came on, my first thought too, oil level ok!
Old 11-25-2006, 05:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Pump

I would be thinking about the Oil Pump myself.

So, with a bit of throttle it goes away. Oh yeah, I would start asking the Maniachanics about that one.
Or just pull the pan, and check the pickup, and screen if it has one.

Even a clogged filter. More demand = more pressure under throttle, and then the light would go away.
Sounds logical to me.

$.02
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles

Last edited by ShiuludeSVX; 11-25-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Locker Link Solution

How many miles? I'm guessing it is a 97? or is it older?
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 11-25-2006, 07:31 PM

Registered SVX
Oil light at idle

Yep, good guess .... a red 97 --155,000 miles, runs great! Clogged oil filter seems plausible, about due for a change, will try that! Oil pump possible, although I think when cold would work pump more and light doesn't go on at idle until car has warmed up. Thanks, any other suggestions appreciated.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:39 AM

when the oil is warm/thin it can suffer a loss of pressurization through the main bearings........i'm still extremely new to the subey way, but all i've ever learned through v-8's indicates worn bearings ..........

rob

92 ebony 4.44's rock !!
Old 11-26-2006, 10:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyingrob
when the oil is warm/thin it can suffer a loss of pressurization through the main bearings........i'm still extremely new to the subey way, but all i've ever learned through v-8's indicates worn bearings ..........
That's very possible also, although I would hope otherwise.
If there is a substantial knock when the Engine first starts up, then maybe the Bearings.
I would try the filter, and maybe ungunk the bottom of the pan first.
Try some of the Motor Flush from Marvel before your next oil change.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 11-26-2006, 10:17 AM

Registered SVX
Oil Light at idle

No knock at startup, so I'm hoping too! Marvel Motorflush sounds like a good idea also, will try that and see what results. Thanks all!.... any other sugggestions appreciated !
1997 Polo Green SVX LSI #316 49,000, garage queen, aka "The Green Queen" 1997 Brilliant Red SVX LSI #200, 167,000, daily driver, aka"Rosie's Rocket I" 1997 Brilliant Red SVX LSI#234, 106,000, summer driver, aka"Rosie's Rocket II"
1988 Red & White Silverado, aka "The Hauler"

2000 GRAND MARQUIS LS w/ handling package, aka "BIG BLUE"

1988 Mazda RX7 Convertible, aka " Lil Blue "
Old 11-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Locker Link Solution

I had the light flicker ever so often and a ticking issue. When I resealed the oil pan I also put a new o ring in the sump... I've seen neither since. (even though it now resides in someone's basement)

Do you know for sure what oil is in it?
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 11-26-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Oil light?

It may just be the oil light switch.

I would replace that before going any further. It is on top of the engine at the front, between the alternaton and the power steering pump.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:08 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARED 97
No knock at startup, so I'm hoping too! Marvel Motorflush sounds like a good idea also, will try that and see what results. Thanks all!.... any other sugggestions appreciated !
Indication is dependent on the operation of a simple pressure switch, located at the front of the engine. This switch could be faulty i.e. slightly out of calibration. It should not be too expensive to replace.

All in all, the only way you can be sure, other than experimenting by replacing the switch, is to do a proper test on oil pressure, by connecting a calibrated oil gauge. This would certainly put your mind at rest. Meantime do not panic as you have oil pressure under operating conditions and the problem does not from all accounts, for the moment appear too serious.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Trevor has it right... I would also check to be sure the connector is on the oil pressure switch. also check that the wires are not corroded

Tom