SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Virginia International Raceway (VIR)

Take a look at this link for an idea of what VIR is like - really smooth track surface!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiJL_...elated&search=

Great track, fun track to run. But the old SVX NEVER did it THIS fast!! See if you can find the "Oak Tree Turn", followed by the mile straight away. This configuration of the track is about 3.27 miles long. If you ever get the chance to run it, do so. You won't regret it!

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 11-16-2006, 09:02 PM

Classic SVX
Harry, do you know what costs are involved to run at VIR? I wouldn't mind taking mine up there. Greg
Old 11-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Greg,
The cost will vary a great deal, but still costly. I run there with the Greater Washington Section of the Mercedes Benz Club, and we can't do it alone, because I think two days for the club was something like $12,000 (I don't remember exactly, except that it was a lot of money!!) Consequently, we had other clubs join us - last year it was the BMW's, Audi's and and Porsche's clubs. We had to have at least so many people running for it to be cost effective. And the cost per day for individuals was a very reasonable $180, I think.
BTW, even booking a year ahead, we could NOT get a weekend date!! Even the NASCAR guys practice there.
VIR is a country club for motorsports, a really great facility! Keep tabs on the Mercedes Club web site at http://www.gws-mbca.org/ for the various track events. You shouldn't be too far from VIR, but we also run at Summit Point Raceway, about five hours north of VIR in West Virginia. They have three circuits, and all but the really short one is also alot of fun. But none are as smooth as VIR!!

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
Old 11-16-2006, 11:23 PM
One teal and One yellow

How fast did he go generally in the video and how fast did you go at the track harry?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 11-17-2006, 02:08 AM

Classic SVX
Harry,

I looked it up and VIR's about 2 hrs from me. $180/day is an awesome price. If you hear of an event coming up or have another mini meet give me a shout. I've already got a helmet. What else would I need? I'd really like to go on a beginners day but the thought of running with a bunch of people at my skill level scares the crap out of me. :-)

Greg
Old 11-17-2006, 04:43 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
im deff in im less than 2 hours away. ive been there 2 times but only as a crew cheif for someone else.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 11-17-2006, 05:40 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
As I mentioned, keep checking in at the Mercedes web site, and I will try to post when we will next be there - summer, I suspect. But there were some years we have not been able to arrange a date for track time at all. The track is just really busy!! Something going on almost every day of the week.

As for speed of the SVX there. I'm very conservative and don't run more than probably 7 - 8 tenths of the cars capability. On the long straight, maybe 125 MPH. Keep in mind that one leaves the Oak Tree Turn which is very tight (Vettes come out of the turn at only about 40 MPH) to enter the straight. BTW, this year there was a Z06 there to run with us, and my son got a ride - fastest of his life, he said. The Z06 was hitting about 157 MPH at the 3/4 point of the straight (about a mile in length). My son started looking for the braking makers at that point!! At that point, I am barely making 100 MPH.

Again, I love my car too much to take too many risks.
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
Old 11-17-2006, 02:04 PM

I've never run VIR but a motorcycle club that I belong to do trackdays there several times a year. I think the VIR website has a calender of events link and from there you could probably find a car club that you could run with. From what I here it's a great track.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hose92SVX
I've never run VIR but a motorcycle club that I belong to do trackdays there several times a year. I think the VIR website has a calender of events link and from there you could probably find a car club that you could run with. From what I here it's a great track.
Great idea - most clubs will let anyone run with them, cause they need the participation to reduce cost.

But be sure to understand their requirements. As an example, with the clubs I have been associated with, there is a requirement to bring to the track for registration, a tech inspection form signed off by a certified mechanic and then go through a tech inspection AT THE TRACK. And don't forget to have the correctly certified helmet too. If the club does not require the above mentioned things, I would not recommend running with them - not good to have someone's car break as you go into a turn and he runs over you and / or punts you into the runoff area at 100 MPH!
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370