Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-23-2006, 07:47 PM
simonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
well then if you purchaced a battery recently then that battery still has a waranty your first step is to get a new battery
true... thanks i didnt think of that.. autozone wont know that my car is messed up
my car definately shorted out the battery, but if i did fix the problem then i wouldnt know it because you're right that battery is probably dead for good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Simply push, move wriggle the wiring while measuring current drain with the ignition on. This should show up an intermittent fault in this area. I have already suggested this procedure. As you report that the problem is exactly related to steering movement, is this not the most suspect area

It is apparent that your wiring has been the subject of many mods, so who knows? Sorry but I can be of no further assistance from this end of the planet. You must use the advice on hand as logically as possible.

Edit P.S. The issue has become more than confusing. Also take into account a possibly faulty battery from new, as well as faulty work relating to the alternator !!!!!!!!??????. You have my sympathy in all of this. *<)
i know you already told me how to check for the draw, but lets say i find where the problem is... whats the best way to replace the wires? can i crimp, should i solder, or is there another way? i know it probably gets really hot down there by the engine...

and did that membrane crap my neighbor was talking about make any sense to you? or was that not something i should worry about...

thanks for all your help on this crap. I am so frustrated with this car and i just wish i had never bought it. Since the 2nd day Ive owned it ive had nothing but problems. From transmission, to wheelbearings, electrical, radiator, brakes, strange noises, leaking, breaking down in busy intersections, and god knows what else... this car has been undrivable for about 80 percent of the time ive owned it! No WONDER its a DISCONTINUED MODEL!
Old 07-23-2006, 08:36 PM

Registered SVX
Your request for advice on how to repair wiring, only IF you find it faulty is getting to be over the top. You are expecting too much.

The short circuit you have reported should not damage a sound Battery.

The membrane stuff you correctly describe as crap.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:10 AM
simonton

Quote:
Your request for advice on how to repair wiring, only IF you find it faulty is getting to be over the top. You are expecting too much.
hmm i dont know what that means but i think ive found the solution to my problem...

get a nice full tank of gas, and just set fire to this fvcking piece of shlt. thats about the only way i could squeeze any amount of joy out of it.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:52 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonton
hmm i dont know what that means but i think ive found the solution to my problem...

get a nice full tank of gas, and just set fire to this fvcking piece of shlt. thats about the only way i could squeeze any amount of joy out of it.
Confirmation of my suspicion that those trying to assist you, have been wasting their time and without due appreciation.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:07 PM
simonton

Quote:
Confirmation of my suspicion that those trying to assist you, have been wasting their time and without due appreciation.

hey i much appreciate all you have offered to me but i cannot tell you how sick of this car i am. look at my profile, 170 plus posts.. i dont know enough about this car to offer help, so that means that 100 percent of those posts are about me having problems with this goddamn car. It is no joke, but rather an understatement when i say that 80 percent of my 2 and a half year ownership of this thing it has been undrivable...

i love coming here to find help. 100/170 times i get good advice... I dont know what more appreciation you expect than a thankyou...

if you're referring to my dismissal of suby fan, then allow me to justify.. I have gone to great lengths to explain my problem so i can get some solid advice... and Trevor you really seem to know your ****, so i left no detail unmentioned... but I just dont like being told in big bold letters to do something that I already have tried and lost money trying...

if you dont want to help me futher than **** it, join the crowd of all the other mother****ers that have wasted my time with their half assed, yet somehow expensive repair attmepts....
-edit: (know that with the term mother****ers i am not referring to anyone on this site with this, but rather and specifically the mechanics down at countryside subaru, casey automotive dundee, and transcraft chicago... i have always been grateful to those here offering help without expectation of reward)

just know that i do appreciate all the advice given to me here.. im going to try to figure this out but honestly this **** looks really really grim right now... im extremely reluctant putting any money into after how much ive spent so far. the last thing i want to have happen is have yet another battery blow out due to this, and i just would like to know if there is some correct or more importantly an incorrect method of changing the wires in the engine compartment. I only have two weeks until i gotta go back to colorado.. and if i dont get this car going im going to be stuck in a ****hole of debt. tomorro im going to see if the battery will take a charge, and if not then i suppose ill just hope that the electrical issue was the one i described in the engine... but if another battery goes down... i still will have that gas can ready

thanks again for all your help, but im pretty obviously gonna be on my own with this.. just hope i dont make **** worse than it already is

Last edited by simonton; 07-24-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
...My old caddy had electrical gremlins...I feel for ya man.That thing would decide to not even turn over on cold or humid days and the carburator always bogged out on hot days.That and there was some serious draw on the battery.
...Still never figured it out
Anyway, heres the old' yankee inginuity way to test for (most) shorts.
Go to your fuse box at night,and one at a time pull fuses. as you pull them and put them back in,look to see if it sparks.If it sparks, theres a short somewhere on that circuit.
It works best at night so you can see the spark easier.In some cases theres a short that wont necicarrily blow a fuse...
This may have been outruled already(Or mabey this new technowladgie thing doesnt even have one) but have you tested the voltage regulator?

Im stumped otherwise...Best of luck
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 07-24-2006, 09:28 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
...My old caddy had electrical gremlins...I feel for ya man.That thing would decide to not even turn over on cold or humid days and the carburator always bogged out on hot days.That and there was some serious draw on the battery.
...Still never figured it out
Anyway, heres the old' yankee inginuity way to test for (most) shorts.
Go to your fuse box at night,and one at a time pull fuses. as you pull them and put them back in,look to see if it sparks.If it sparks, theres a short somewhere on that circuit.
It works best at night so you can see the spark easier.In some cases theres a short that wont necicarrily blow a fuse...
This may have been outruled already(Or mabey this new technowladgie thing doesnt even have one) but have you tested the voltage regulator?

Im stumped otherwise...Best of luck
This test will simply show that a circuit is drawing current which could relate to a normal condition. However with the ignition turned off and nothing switched on that can normally be energized with the ignition off, a spark can indicate something suspect. A good idea for someone who does not have a meter.

In this case, a proper current test appears to have been performed at the battery connections, thus covering all circuits in one hit.

We are stumped as you so rightly say.

Last edited by Trevor; 07-24-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:39 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Electrical Gremlins are the hardest to fix. My car has been suffering for the past two weeks and I know it's a sensor...by the time I'm done, I'll have spent $130 bucks fixing it (if the sensor that I get on Wednesday fixes my car).

And I don't even have a SVX.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 07-25-2006, 11:04 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonton
hey i much appreciate all you have offered to me but

thanks again for all your help, but im pretty obviously gonna be on my own with this.. just hope i dont make **** worse than it already is
Be sure you are not on your own but -----

I repeat from my previous post ----

"Simply push, move wriggle the wiring while measuring current drain with the ignition on. This should show up an intermittent fault in this area. I have already suggested this procedure. As you report that the problem is exactly related to steering movement, is this not the most suspect area

It is apparent that your wiring has been the subject of many mods, so who knows? Sorry but I can be of no further assistance from this end of the planet. You must use the advice on hand as logically as possible."

You do not appear to have confirmed that you have carried out this procedure. Please do so.

The only way sort all this out, is for you to go back through the thread, list every suggestion made, as well as items you have decided to check yourself. Indicate clearly that each has been checked, if there are doubts, or no check has been made. With this information in logical form, we can proceed. At the moment all is too confused.