How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-13-2006, 05:49 AM

Just installed a remote starter and no work, help

Hello to all
Over the past few days i was slowly installing my prostart remote starter. I finally finished it and I push the button and nothing happens . Some feature work like I turn the car on and step on brake, then doors lock. Now that i think of it, thats all it does. I've programmed the remote, my parking lights do its thing when programming. but nothing else happens. Did i miss something. I talked to someone and they said its to do with the key in ignition with the security system. Does anyone know what I need to do to bypass this or did i just really screw it up. I'm going to do more testing with it now, i just thought I would send out a help to you guys because people here know this great car.
Thanks
Old 05-13-2006, 07:16 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Get the SVX shop manual that has the security system info in it as well as the one that has all the electrical schematics in it. The fact (?) that you're not even getting the engine to turn over tells me you're missing pieces of the wiring install puzzle. You might also try a search of this site using "remote start" in the search box. I don't know if anyone has successfully installed a remote start unit (my guess is that someone has....)
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 05-13-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Well, given the way you described the install in the other thread, I can't say as I am surprised. First off, there is no "key in ignition" sensor in the SVX security system, just a starter kill relay. Second do you own and know how to use a DMM? If so, then start probing wires that are supposed to be at 12v or ground and verify that they are correct. Third, check all the safety shutdown wires and make sure they are in the correct state, ie. neutral safety is grounded, and any unused wires are capped off. Make sure the module is getting the correct input and providing the correct output before you go poking around things that aren't broken...yet.

KuoH
Old 05-13-2006, 12:43 PM

Don't know what a DMM is but i was using a volt meter and everything looked ok. I'll start off with what I did with the wires i hooked up, and not plugged into the remote module.

If i ground either of the door lock wires, they lock and unlock.
I get 0.49V with the acc wire with the key off (i don't know why this is)
I get 12V with the starter wire (this should be correct)
Nothing with the ignition wire (this should be correct)
getting around 9V with the tach sensor (with the car on)
Ground is good
brake wire is working when brake peddle if pressed
Well i think thats all the major wires.

So when i tested it . . . I jumperd the starter wire with the ignition wire and the starter turned over but didn't start because didn't have any fuel. I don't think that the fuel pump was running (because i was just testing the starting part). Like everything looks ok, and i even went out and bought another Starter module to test. But the same thing, nothing worked. I looks like to me that the module isn't even giving it a try to start. So thats why I gave a shout out to you guys to see if there is something not working. Well i'm still thinking about it and maybe i will have to go to future shop and see what they say, and pick their brains for a bit .

Thanks Bill and KuoH for your help.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:30 PM

Well we figured it out. I had 1 wrong wire, with my ignition wire i followed all those wiring diagrams and they were all wrong. anyways If anyone would like to know the wiring code for a 92 svx let me know and i could post it here. The only problem i have with it is that my unlock feature doesn't seems to work, but it did before so its probably a loose wire somewhere and now with the remote starter installed i sill have the click problem so the ignition switch is good and not my problem, I think i'm going to test the starter again even though its new.
As well a new issue has arrised and sometimes when i turn the key to the on position i can hear my fuel pump gargeling, like there is air in the system. Has anyone seen that before??
Thanks all for your help
Old 05-15-2006, 03:53 AM

Well this thread is now closed, Remote starter is now fully functionning and trying to think on what stuff i can have turn on with a push of a button. Now i just have to get my starter tested again and find out why my gas is making those noises.
Thanks to all that helped out. And I will try to get my colour codes.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:54 AM
IppoJ

door locks

Can you tell me how you wired the door locks? My son has remote start on his '92 and try as we might we couldn't figure out the door lock wiring.

TIA
- J -
Old 05-15-2006, 12:15 PM
<<<Alcyone

Cookie

How about a nice little write up for the How-To section?

Dan
Old 05-15-2006, 01:00 PM

I'll see what i can do . And -J-, when i did my door locks i tapped into the wires at my security module located behind the glove box. All that has to be done to lock or unlock the doors is to ground either wire. If i remember correctly the colour codes were orange and black with brown i think i will have to check somehow. I started to report the color codes for some things when i was half way done. (I did it in steps) Search for glove box removal instructions. That thread mentioned some stuff about the starter install.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
The alarm pinouts are already in a PDF document in the How-To folders under security. Do not blindly follow color codes, take the time to locate the correct pin and test the wire before cutting and splicing. Other useful wires and locations are easily located at www.bulldogsecurity.

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagr...9&link=BULLDOG

KuoH
Old 05-15-2006, 01:49 PM
IppoJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemunstr
And -J-, when i did my door locks i tapped into the wires at my security module located behind the glove box.
OHHHhhh, you are correct. I remember now, we tried to get to the security module. We took out every single fastener we could find and it still wouldn't budge. Talk about humbling, we never did get it out.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:27 PM

When i tapped into the wires at the security module i had the factory wire code that should be attached to the security module, so i really wasn't doing it blind. I used as well the security wire pin outs from the how - to. When i took out the glovebox I had to try it 2 times and then it came out. Just give it another try, it's nice when you get it. The glove box remove every screw you can find. take the door off the hinge that also hold that light by your feet. That metal bracket that the glove box hinges and supports the bottom of the glovebox is held on by 2 screws as well as 5 bolts that are arranged in the glovebox. once you get the actual glovebox out and that metal support thing, you should be able to see the security module (you have to get on your back and look up). It should be the one on the right, held in place by one bolt, bolted on a big round bar (i'm guess a support bar). An then it should just fall out. Took a while but there isn't much there just look at it and just giver. It took me two attemps because i didn't remove the metal bracket that holds the glovebox door hinge. You might have to pull it a bit, but i think the key is that metal bracket. If you get that out you should be good. Let me know how it goes