How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Kiteless

Rrrrrrrrrroooad Trip.

Hey guys. Well since the SVX has been really good to me, I think I feel good about taking it on a (roughly) 780 mile road trip from Fremont, CA to Phoenix AZ (MapQuest it), then 780mi back. I am on a very limited budget, but plan on doing some repairs before I go. For one it has a really wonky idle when it is cold, so I am going to replace the plugs. (I know there could be other things wrong, but I think that is a good place to start.) Since it is so easy, I am also going to replace the fuil filter, as Juffy Lube keeps telling me it is time. I already have purchased, but just need to install. Lastly the water pump is at an age (in miles) where it should be replaced, so I am going to get in there and replace the Timing Belt and the Water Pump.

I am going to pay a local Subaru Dealer $185 to install some platinums I already have.

Timing Belt Part# 13028AA120 from Subaru Parts dot com $76.16
Water Pump Complete# 21111AA033 from Subaru Parts dot com $91.40

I am going to attempt to install those parts my self. I am not going to replace the idlers, as I do not think I am going to need to.

I found some nice how to's on timing belt replacement in these forums, and I think I have the ability to do it myself. I have access to serious tools. My friend works on his own Vette and he is letting me use them.

Any feedback on what I am going to do here. Ideas, ways to save money, or any gotchas you all can think of? Anyone out there that has done this but not really have a mechanical back ground?

I have a 1994 SVX-L with 114k miles on it. Running on Yokohama ZR ES-100's. Smallcar.com resistor shift kit, 20"x10" ATF cooler, installed (THANKS DAVE). Everything else stock.

- Jason

Last edited by Kiteless; 11-18-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Are you mechanically handy enough to be able to change the timing belt? If not let your Vette friend help you a little...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Are you mechanically handy enough to be able to change the timing belt? If not let your Vette friend help you a little...
I think so, but not 100 percent sure. I can change my own oil, but I do not because of the royal pain that it is. I installed a replacement accessory belt. And my Vette friend Dave helped install the ATF cooler & cmall car shift kit.

My last car was a 1987 Mazda 323 wagon and I worked on it a lot, but
Nothing too extreme. Replaced the cap, roater, plugs and wires. Installed a new passanger side rearview mirror, installed a new insturment cluster so I could have a tach (it was a manual), rotated my own tires.

I also took a year of "Auto" in high school waaaay back in 1996. The tutorial I found looks fairly straight forward. I am guessing that I am not going to have to take out the radiator, althought it would make things more accessable.

- Jason
Old 11-18-2005, 07:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Comin to Phoenix

When you coming this way? Glad to drive down and meet.

Maybe I can run down and see one for sale on the same day.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Don't understand why, if you're tackling the timing belt, you're willing to pay a shop $185 to change your plugs??? No comparison as far as difficulty, and possible problems if done incorrectly, with the belt the far more difficult/critical job. Save money? Do the plugs yourself.

Glenn

Hope you're talking about NGK platinums and not something else? Most opinions are that the Bosch;+1,+2,+4 are not the way to go with Subies.

As far as the wonkie idle when cold. Take a real good look at all vacuum hoses, and make sure you're not feeling the car deal with climate control issues which aren't unusual starting from cold. Switch to OFF.

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 11-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

If your willing to spend just a few dollars more on the timing belt remove the radiator for an extra 6ish inches of work/sight room. and 200 to do the spark plugs save the moneys and do it your self especially if you think you even ready for a timing belt.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 11-19-2005, 01:29 PM

Registered SVX
Car runs funny( idles ) untill the temp. guage read something even just moves . Is this the Auto climate control Problem u speak of
Old 11-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Plugs

If you decide to change the plugs yourself---there is a hole through the fenderwell designed to stick a ratchet extension through to get to the plugs closest to the firewall on each side. This overcomes some of the cramped space problems. That point is mentioned here in a thread but is often overlooked.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 11-20-2005, 07:30 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX
Car runs funny( idles ) untill the temp. guage read something even just moves . Is this the Auto climate control Problem u speak of
My car doesn't feel right starting from cold if I've left the Climate Control on and the current temp calls for A/C to run, which it does immediately. What I'm saying is turn the CC to OFF and see if the idle smooths out.
Removal of the radiator when doing the timing belt, as Thundering02 suggests, is mandatory unless you're a midget or a magician.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket