How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-02-2005, 07:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to madj80
Exclamation Just bought a '92 SVX LS-L

I am having a stalling/accleration problem. It has stalled on me after stopping and the accleration/lag is something to be desired. The car has 228k on it, and may have been neglected for a long period of time.

I was thinking about changing the fuel filter and checking the spark plugs since who knows when it was changed last.

I also read about the knock sensors. Is it worth trying to change them out?

I just had the bushings for the front sway bar replaced because they were oil soaked and went bad. The engine currently has dye in it to check for an oil leak.

I want to get this car back to a proud SVX owners quality and any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone lives near the Denver, CO area I would love to meet up for a drink (or coffee).
Old 11-02-2005, 08:35 PM

It so happens that I am in Fort Collins, and happened to read your message. I cant answer all of your questions, but I can tell you that it isnt your knock sensor. If you have a bad knock sensor, your ECU will throw a Check Engine Light. There is a way to self diagnose your CEL too, through what is essentially "subaru morse code". Look in the how-to documents for checking engine codes. Even if both knock sensors are bad, they will just set the engine at a safe level, and inhibit your gas mileage and power. If you need to change them, I can tell you from experience, it is hard. But it can be done in about 7 hours, with only a few simple tools. The knock sensors themselves are only about $40 a piece. Is your SVX a manual conversion, or a 4EAT? The 5MT converted ones tend to stall out sometimes. That could be your problem.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:05 PM

What is CEL? It is an auto trans. Tonight I was driving home on the highway for the first time, and it started to almost stall out after going over 85 mph. I have not had a chance to do the error code reading yet.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:24 PM

CEL is just short for "Check engine light". Here is the website you need to look at for the procedure: http://svx-iw.com/
Go to SVXipedia, and then to checking error codes, and then to "How to check engine (ECU) trouble codes.
The SVXipedia, combined with the information and knowledge of the members of this website, can help you through anything you encounter with your SVX.

Stalling out after going 85 mph sounds like something feul related, like the EGR valve, or possibly even an extremely corroded feul injector. Do the CEL diagnosis, and check back here after you do.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:15 AM
AK Rowdy

Send a message via AIM to Crysis
My old car did the same thing, however it was not a Subaru. It was a Plymouth Laser and it would stall randomly and got worse as time went on, such as stalling on the highway. I tried replacing the fuel pump and fuel injectors, but it still did not work. I ended up having to buy a new computer for it and it ran perfectly. I got lucky and was able to find a computer for my car in a junkyard and got it for 25$. Maybe you will get lucky as well, if that is the problem
Old 11-03-2005, 11:54 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by madj80
Also, if anyone lives near the Denver, CO area I would love to meet up for a drink (or coffee).
name the time and the place.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 11-04-2005, 11:57 AM

Ok so I checked the CEL error codes today. If I read it correctly I have 22 and 23 which makes sense since I have problems with stalling out and going over 85 mph. I heard knock sensor #2 is a pain to replace, but what about knock sensor #1? I am going to check out the how-to section for more information.

I am going to try cleaning the MAF before replacing it.

Any other suggestions for these error codes?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:09 PM

As long as you take off the alternator, and have some extra time, knock sensor #1 is easy, because its relatively close to the front of the car. #2 is a *****. The hardest parts are disconnecting the wire, and re-threading the bolt to mount the sensor to the engine. If I were to go back and do it again, I could probably do #1 in about an hour, and # 2 in an extra 3 hours or so. And to be honest, it is possible that the stalling is caused by the sensors being bad, because I didnt have a problem with stalling, but I only had 1 bad sensor. So its possible that having both bad sensors would cause this. Go to an autozone and order the parts, they will take about 3 days to get in, and cost roughly $35 a piece. If you dont feel confident about doing it yourself, before I decided to do it myself, I took my SVX to John Elway Subaru, and they quoted me about $500 to do it. I would rather spend $70 and do it myself, but thats just me....
Old 11-04-2005, 01:42 PM

According to the sensor codes only Knock Sensor 1 is malfuntioning. The other error code was the air flow sensor. I plan on do the work myself that's for sure.