Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 08-11-2005, 04:16 PM
halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I'm going to beat the crap out of my cat

Can i take off my center cat and knock all the stuff out of it with a large screwdriver or something? I think i've heard of someone doing this before. I'm considering this because i have a wierd feeling that it is plugged up. I'm not sure why. Have any of you done this? Will it have any effect on performance?
-Evan
Old 08-11-2005, 05:02 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Ha! I thought your cat took a deuce in your svx! You can do that but if you ever have to take a sniffer test you will fail. Don't think "it won't happen in my town." You also may loose a slight amount of low end torque.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 08-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
The easiest thing to do is get yourself a Magnaflow Hi-flow two inlet/single out cat from Performancepeddler.com. It should run you about $60.00 to your door.
http://www.performancepeddler.com/de...CT_ID=MAG94037

Remove the old one, weld in the new one and be done with it! If you ever have an emissions inspection, you'll be legal.

See this thread:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26752

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 08-11-2005, 06:44 PM

I'm really not worried about an emissions test. I've never heard of anyone having to take one around here. I'm not really even sure what they are for. I live in a hick town where half the trucks dont even have mufflers. Also, I would still have the 2 other cats.
I'd really be worried about losing low end torque though. Why would it do this? seems like it would just act like a high flow cat or a resonator. Do you lose low end torque with a high flow cat also?
If i have to spend money on it, i will probably just leave it alone. So buying a new cat isnt really an option. Mainly because im not really sure theres anything wrong with this one. I was just curious mostly. It seems like something that would only take a few minutes to do. and I have plenty of time to do it right now while i wait for my new coils to arrive in the mail.

-Evan
Old 08-12-2005, 10:21 AM
On a SVX board with a Z31 name

Send a message via AIM to MaxImUmZ Send a message via Yahoo to MaxImUmZ
Im not sure about the SVX's cat but the one on my old z if you just punched out the middle with out straight piping it, it would screw up ur exhaust airflow and actualy hurt your performance beacuse of it going from like 2 inch piping to 4 inch piping(the gutted cat) back to 2 inch piping
Old 08-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Hitchhikin'

You can gut and skin your cat, but it may be pretty raspy afterwards.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:54 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
i punched out my cat and removed the resonator on mine and i personally like the way it sounds. i can't tell you to much about performance gains but it feels like shes still got plenty of go to me.i am planning on changing it soon by removing the front 2 cats and using a high flow for the back one then on to a flowmaster 80 series or a magnaflow muffler in the back. good luck
Old 08-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I doubt there's anything wrong with the center cat. If you are to do anything I would recommend removing the front 2 cats and leaving the middle one. This eliminates one of the issues if you ever decide to go to a 5spd.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:22 PM

Yea i think i will just leave it alone. I got my new coil and installed it and the car seems to run better and seems faster than before. I think maybe the coil was crapping out for a while before it finally quit.

I had to drive a while on just 5 cylinders, and i believe the extra gas from the dead cylinder was going into the exhaust and burning inside the cats. Would this damage them? I have a small exhaust leak just before the center cat and gas was dripping out of it along with tons of smoke. There was also gas dripping from my exhaust tips. As of now i will just leave things alone because the car is running better than ever. thanks
Old 08-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Gas won't drip out of the exhaust tips...that's water and all cars will normally do that.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:39 PM

oh. well it smelled like gas. must have just been the fumes.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:56 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I doubt there's anything wrong with the center cat. If you are to do anything I would recommend removing the front 2 cats and leaving the middle one. This eliminates one of the issues if you ever decide to go to a 5spd.
??? never had a problem with mine?
phil
Old 08-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Tim-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmerz
Can i take off my center cat and knock all the stuff out of it with a large screwdriver or something? I think i've heard of someone doing this before. I'm considering this because i have a wierd feeling that it is plugged up. I'm not sure why. Have any of you done this? Will it have any effect on performance?
-Evan
Wrap a pipe with a rag, or use a rubber mallet and tap on it. If it rattles you need to get a new one. It will only get worse until it plugs you up so much your engine stalls on rev up.