Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-22-2002, 05:15 PM

1992 ls-l A/C Comp Relay 7 - do you have one?

My A/C doesn't work, compressor never spins because clutch doesn't engage.

Technician took one quick look and said I was missing a relay. On the cover of the under hood fuse box it's labeled Relay 7, A/C Comp.

Looking down in the hole, there's no connectors for the relay to plug into.

Talked to another guy and he suggested that I consider that there may never have been a relay there (since there's no connectors in the plug spot) and I should look elsewhere for the problem.

Can somebody with a '92 LS-L please look in the underhood fuse box and confirm/deny the presence of the A/C Comp relay #7 (it's in the spot between the relays labeled relay 6, seat heater and relay 8, Head).

Since its always been a US car (according to CarFax) not sure why there's a relay in the seat heater, but that's another question.

tia
Old 03-22-2002, 07:36 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I'll look in the morning to see what I have on mine. It may be that someone moved the relay harness to the seat heater area. That whole relay block is just an empty mounting location. The plugs clip into the bottom and the relays plug into the top. You can move any of the connectors to another relay space if you desire.

Did the tech check the pressure in the system? If it is too low, it won't turn on. A 20 second check could save hours in troubleshooting. I've seen systems so low that you had to hot jumper the compressor clutch to get it to take enough of a charge to engage by itself.

After 10 years, losing that much pressure isn't unusual or a sure sign of trouble. If you live in a northern climate that really contributes to the seepage.

Imagine your pipes and seals going from zero degrees to 200 degrees on you commute to work, then back to zero and see if you start leaking after 10 years.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 03-22-2002, 08:11 PM

thanks

thanks for offering to look - if there's nothing in your heated seat relay socket your idea of somebody making use of another empty block may be what happened as the plastic block that the A/C relay would go in looks like it got damaged by some fat fingers.

And thanks for the idea about lack of coolant. The PO told me he had changed out the compressor - maybe he never got around to finishing the job - also looks like it was converted to R-134 by the fittings - not sure what can go wrong with a botched job in that area. Problem is I don't know anybody I really trust on A/C - want to try to isolate as much as possible before I hand it off.

I think the car was a case of somebody trying to bring it back from the dead and just got tired of trying - new transmission, radiator, steering rack, battery, belts & hoses, and some other misc stuff in just the last 18 months (that's how long he owned it) - and I just did the water pump and timing belt thing today - tomorrow is a trans cooler install and a replacement of front brake hoses (left front burst) - then on to trouble shooting the A/C - using your input as a guide.

P.S. The car has spent it's whole life (titled life anyway) in Florida. But the heat and humidity, not to mention sea air corrosion, can do as much damage as northern climate changes.