Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2004, 04:44 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Angry Exhaust troubles continue

I have been having problems with my exhaust ever since December. Back then the car sounded like a lawn mower when i accelerated and changing the exhaust gaskets took care of that. Then one week after that when i had the car stopped there was a low pitched rattling and my mechanic took care of that too. I am guessing it was loose heat shields. Back in January as i was backing out of my friends hilly driveway the muffler hit the road and slightly got cracked. After that there has been more noise than usual coming out of my left exhaust tip. The crack is on the left side. I brought it to my mechanic and he said nothing is wrong with the muffler and he said he welded the crack. I even bought some compound to cover the crack with and I did so. But the noise is still there, almost sounds like an air leak or something. The weird thing is that it only comes from the left side. I had thought about getting new exhaust tips but im not sure if that would take care of the noise as im told exhaust tips are only for looks. I dont have money to spend on a stebro exhaust setup otherwise i would have done that a long time ago. I dont even know what the problem is. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. I also have another problem especially when accelerating uphill. There is a rattling thats coming from under the car i think. It may also be coming from under the hood. It only happens when going uphill and over 2,500 rpms. Someone please help me because I would love to get this car sounding beautiful again.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:44 PM
deruvian

I would look into purchasing a new OEM muffler, or simply replacing it with a Magnaflow or 80-series Flowmaster. Both mufflers are affordable (I'm not sure on the price of an OEM muffler), and any exhaust shop can install them for cheap. I believe both mufflers are around $80, and having one installed definitely should not cost any more than $140.

Then again, you could buy a nice used OEM muffler here on the network. With all the exhaust work by the members here, someone's gotta have a muffler.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:05 PM

ok then instead of buying new tips i think i will purchase a new muffler. But do new tips produce any noise or is it truly just for looks only?
Old 06-13-2004, 08:01 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
ok then instead of buying new tips i think i will purchase a new muffler. But do new tips produce any noise or is it truly just for looks only?
Looks only. They only affect sound if they have a resonator built in.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:04 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up That's a good way to go...

Best to just replace the entire thing. Even though the rattle is coming from your left tip, you've had so many issues with your exhaust system that it may be worth it to just spend ~$200 to replace the entire thing and get rid of the headache. Plus with a good 2.5" cat-back system, you'll pick up some hp too!

-Chike
Quote:

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-13-2004, 09:21 PM

yea im going to save up and get a new muffler. I still owe my mom 400 for that axle and shaft replacement. Its gonna take me years to pay everyone back
Old 06-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Sometimes exhaust leaks are hard to find. I have to get under the car to find them, see them, feel them and get burned. The front pipes are prone to hitting the ground before anything else.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
I have a good used OEM muffler. Slight crease in the bottom, no leaks whatsoever. $60 + shipping and it is yours. Tips are ing great shape I can get pics if you want.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-14-2004, 05:29 PM

yea please definitley get me some pics because i am very interested. Dayle from motorsports said i can have the muffler from that kit on the site for 95 plus shipping. Will the OEM sound as good as the Magnaflow? I'm gonna get the resonator cut out too. I like that low RPM grumble!
Old 06-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
The OEM (stock) muffler will be quiet. If you want rumble, it is not the route to go.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-14-2004, 07:17 PM

Ok everyone I think I will be ordering the Magnaflow muffler from dayle pretty soon. I have been told that if i want it to sound really good i should get the resonator taken out. Some have told me to do it...others have said to leave the resonator in. Other than this metallic buzzing noise I need another description of what it sounds like without the resonator. I would like to have that low rpm grumble and a nice sounding exhaust. So i am not sure whether to leave the resonator in or not. Once i get the muffler i'm going to take it to midas or meineke for them to put it on. I live in New York, if I got the resonator taken out would it pass inspection? Would it be too loud to the affect that the police would give me a ticket? Keep in mind that I hardly ever go above 3000 Rpm's unless i'm on the highway. Hit me up with some advice guys! Thanks for the replies in advance.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:33 PM

The presence or absence of a resonator doesn't affect emissions in any way - the resonator is simply a cylindrical muffler used to cancel out certain sound frequencies.

civic_slayer has a cat-back exhaust system w/out a resonator. If you PM him, he'll gladly let you listen to his exhaust over the phone. He's a cool dude to talk to...

I personally love the sound w/out the resonator - think 911 Carrera at WOT!

-Chike
Quote:
I live in New York, if I got the resonator taken out would it pass inspection? Would it be too loud to the affect that the police would give me a ticket? Keep in mind that I hardly ever go above 3000 Rpm's unless i'm on the highway. Hit me up with some advice guys! Thanks for the replies in advance.

Old 06-14-2004, 08:14 PM

Ahh Chike you make it sound so perfect! 911 is exactly what i am shooting for!
Old 06-14-2004, 09:36 PM

Listen to civic_slayer's and form your own opinion. That's what I took away from hearing it. And remember, 911 exhausts can sound downright raspy, and pissed at times, while being smooth and docile at others...

-Chike
Quote:
Ahh Chike you make it sound so perfect! 911 is exactly what i am shooting for!

Old 05-26-2005, 09:07 PM

Thought I would revive this thread because I am planning to do some stuff with the exhaust. It seems like the exhaust note is getting worse and worse. It sounds as if there is a leak somewhere. When i start the car in the morning the exhaust sounds real raspy.....and its coming from right under the drivers seat area. When i rev the engine and the tach is coming back down you hear this " chhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" noise. As i said earlier in the thread i had gotten the exhaust gaskets changed back in december of 03 but it sounds almost as bad now. And its been this way for a while....since last summer as i recall. There is also a rattling at 2k rpms or around that area. Me and tomssvx are going to look into that next week before the drag racing meet. My exhaust right now just sounds raspy and plain old bad. I like raspy but this sounds like a 1988 toyota camry with no muffler sorta raspy. Alotta kids at school ask me if i got turbo and think the exhaust is stock so its not soooo embarassing . But I will probably be going with a magnaflow muffler and cutting out the resonator...i am starting to notice the buzzing noise too

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network