How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-01-2002, 07:47 PM
deadeye95

Oil, gas marketing, and stuff...

Should you buy brand name gasoline or the 7-11 stuff? Oil and gas companies spend a lot of money trying to get you to spend extra for brand name fuel.

All gas is supplied by regional refineries. A Texaco refinery does not necessarily refine Texaco gas and put it on a Texaco truck bound for a Texaco station. Major companies contract the local refiners (who do make gas to the purchasing company's specs - say by adding Techroline) then put it in a company transport for shipment. 7-11 gas comes from the same refinery, mixed to their specs - probably close to the same. Decision is up to you...

Found a good website about oil that wasn't trying to sell anything.

http://www.escape.ca/~dbrad/index.htm

Pay special attention to the additive questions and "oil functions".

I use Pennzoil but wouldn't use Quaker State to oil my garage door. Alas, they are made by the same company. After they finish production of those oil brands, who knows, they could can the dreaded Sears oil.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:18 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Re: Oil, gas marketing, and stuff...

Quote:
Originally posted by deadeye95
I use Pennzoil but wouldn't use Quaker State to oil my garage door.
I've been echoing the same for years now. Of course I'm operating on experience, not education. I always found the pretty white swirls of parrafin floating on the top of a quart of QS particularly interesting. In Fla. (high hunidity?) we always noticed how QS seemed adept at creating more of a mess inside an engine than most other oils.

Beav
Old 03-02-2002, 11:20 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Oil, gas marketing, and stuff...

Quote:
Should you buy brand name gasoline or the 7-11 stuff? Oil and gas companies spend a lot of money trying to get you to spend extra for brand name fuel.

All gas is supplied by regional refineries. A Texaco refinery does not necessarily refine Texaco gas and put it on a Texaco truck bound for a Texaco station. Major companies contract the local refiners (who do make gas to the purchasing company's specs - say by adding Techroline) then put it in a company transport for shipment. 7-11 gas comes from the same refinery, mixed to their specs - probably close to the same. Decision is up to you...

Found a good website about oil that wasn't trying to sell anything.

http://www.escape.ca/~dbrad/index.htm

Pay special attention to the additive questions and "oil functions".

I use Pennzoil but wouldn't use Quaker State to oil my garage door. Alas, they are made by the same company. After they finish production of those oil brands, who knows, they could can the dreaded Sears oil.
I used to be the account rep for a Chevron Distributor. Notice, I said "Distributor." The refineries work with distributors, to distribute the gasoline. The same trucks that left for the Chevron stations, left for the "Quick Mart." I once asked them what their additive "Techroline" had over the other company's additive. They laughed. "It's all the same stuff. We just have different trade names." Was their reply.

I think the two most important things to look for are Octane and Volume. If gasoline sits for a while, it becomes "bad." Therefore, when they get their monthly allotment, they just add good to bad, leaving "half bad" gas. I think it's a cumulative effect. If a station is pumping lots of volume, their gas is always "fresh." Yes, basically, all gas is gas (kinda like there are only something like 3 companies in the world that make Aspirin. There are simply "brand" names of Aspirin -- it's all formulaically the same). Perhaps the amount of "additive" in the various branded gasolines vary, but, basically, it's all the same stuff. 89 Octane is 89 Octane -- 91 Octane is 91 Octane. As long as you use the recommended Octane rating, gas is gas.

Another couple of "little" things to remember: Try not to fill up at a station that is having their pumps filled. Pumping new gas into the tanks stirs up the sediment on the bottom and that trash could end up on your tank. Secondly, does the station where you fill up have ONE hose that delivers all gasoline? Or, is there an individual hose for each grade? It's not a BIG deal, but, if your pump has ONE hose, there's a bit of the grade that was pumped before you pumped yours, left in the hose. If the person ahead of you pumped 89 Octane, you'll get a bit of 89 Octane before getting your 91-93 Octane. Again, not a BIG deal, but, just thought I'd mention it to give the real "paranoids" something else to worry about.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-02-2002, 11:46 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I have noticed that I do get better mileage with some brands of gas that others. This is consistant, and the gas is usually more expensive. What about fuel with up to 10% alcohol by volume? I have heard that it is not as good for your car. Is this true? I use it with my other beater car, and it is cheaper. Just wondered if anyone had some insight on this. Thanks

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 03-02-2002, 01:26 PM
deadeye95

The big oil marketing types got to me early, during the "pre-synthetic" era. The impression was that branded oil was special, like the oilfield where it came from gave it special properties - being as oil from individual fields is chemically different.

I worked for Phillips Petroleum in the early 80's (for a brief but spectacular career as a petroleum engineer). The production from our field was sent to Kansas City where it made up 50% of the Trop-artic brand contents. It could be surmised that if there were any good qualities, it could be attributed to "my" oil. They sold that refinery in '82, so I guess if they still sell the Trop-artic brand, its Ashland or Mobil or so in its origin.

Fund a bad NASCAR team for $.01 a quart and get $.02 more in price. Fund a good team for $.02 cents and get $.05 more. Even though I know what they are doing, I still fall for it. When Jeremy McGrath went to Suzuki and could't win, I thought those bikes were crap. Now they are winning again....and I still wouldn't buy one.
Old 03-02-2002, 01:58 PM
Green1995SVX

I just made a post about this about a week ago. I swear my car runs better and is noticably more responsive when I use 'brand name' gas. My imagination? probably.

-Mike
Old 03-02-2002, 02:24 PM
deadeye95

I swear my car runs better and is noticably more responsive when I use 'brand name' gas

I buy "branded" gas, too. Even though I know the "truth". Sad to say...

Also, my acceptable performance characteristics have gotten lax over the years.....just needs to get me to work and back. Was more picky when I had to get from stoplight to stoplight.
Old 03-02-2002, 02:38 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
I swear my car runs better and is noticably more responsive when I use 'brand name' gas

I buy "branded" gas, too. Even though I know the "truth". Sad to say...

Also, my acceptable performance characteristics have gotten lax over the years.....just needs to get me to work and back. Was more picky when I had to get from stoplight to stoplight.
That pretty much sums up my sentiments too. I'm trying to live by "If it won't make difference a year from now it's probably not worth it today."

Beav
Old 03-02-2002, 04:59 PM
calmone

my understanding about "gasahol" is that it is not as good as just gasoline, that not combined with alcohol refined from corn. i also understand that adm (archer daniels midland if my memory is right about the company name) basically lobbied and campaign contributed congress into mandating this to sell more corn which is used to make the stuff under the guise of making us less dependant on imported oil.
Old 03-02-2002, 08:10 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink Re: Re: Oil, gas marketing, and stuff...

Secondly, does the station where you fill up have ONE hose that delivers all gasoline? Or, is there an individual hose for each grade? It's not a BIG deal, but, if your pump has ONE hose, there's a bit of the grade that was pumped before you pumped yours, left in the hose. If the person ahead of you pumped 89 Octane, you'll get a bit of 89 Octane before getting your 91-93 Octane. Again, not a BIG deal, but, just thought I'd mention it to give the real "paranoids" something else to worry about. [/B][/QUOTE]

It seems to me you'd need one heck of a long hose to make a difference. Size matters when pumping gas too!
Always good to the last drop!
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.