Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 03-03-2005, 04:01 PM
SilVerXtc

parts I need to do 5-speed swap

Ok I've read Huck's 5-speed swap. I'm planning on putting a dual-range and 3:90 gears in my Forester In about a week. so I will have the forester 5-speed and 4:11 diff to put in my SVX. I will probably be useing the Hydraulic clutch set up from my forester as well. So Far to you guys see any problems with the parts I'm useing for the SVX swap? I know I will need to get a pedal assembly. Huck reccomends the older legacy set up. I've also seen the 5-speed kits on Small Car.com. Do you guys recommend I get the Basic 5-speed kit for $299. from Small car.com. I'm not sure how many parts I will need from that kit.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The $299 kit will be helpful as it reduces the amount of parts you need to make. It also saves some time. I managed to do the swap without the kit.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Superbeast

Thats cool are you getting a JDM duel range tranny for your Forester from a Liberty?

The older Legacy pedal box will not work with the Forester tranny. The Forester uses a hydro clutch and the older Legacys use a cable. Hucks write-up is with useing the cable style. I think the smallcar kit is for the mounting of the hydro set up so it might be worth it for that but I've heard a few other things about the rest of the kit.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 03-04-2005, 03:11 AM
SilVerXtc

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
Thats cool are you getting a JDM duel range tranny for your Forester from a Liberty?

The older Legacy pedal box will not work with the Forester tranny. The Forester uses a hydro clutch and the older Legacys use a cable. Hucks write-up is with useing the cable style. I think the smallcar kit is for the mounting of the hydro set up so it might be worth it for that but I've heard a few other things about the rest of the kit.
Actually I think its a ea82 dual range from a Loyale. Mudrat made a adapter kit so it would bolt up to my engine. This is a much cheaper route than having a Forester Dual range imported. And I think I will actually get lower gearing with the ea82.

Ok, so I need to get pedal assembly from a hydraulic Subaru. Or Maybe I should just use the pedal assembly from the forester in the SVX. Since the dual range going into the Forester is Cable. I'll just get a cable pedal assembly for the Forester.

Last edited by SilVerXtc; 03-04-2005 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:28 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Yea why wouldn't you use the forester pedal assembly?

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 03-04-2005, 08:12 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
After buying the smallcar kit, and looking at it, I don't recommend it. It makes for a low quality installation. The biggest problem I see with it is that the driveshaft is poorly supported, the rear tranny mount is kinda lame, and the shift linkage support is kinda lame too. It does have a nice template though for where the holes in the firewall need to be drilled.

If you have no fabrication skills, then maybe the smallcar kit is an ok option if you are willing to live with substandard quality, but if you know how to cut, bend, and weld sheet metal, then you don't need the smallcar kit.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I agree with mbtoloczko in that you wouldn't want to JUST use the kit. Look into ways to use the kit to help you with the installation. Always look into ways to improve your install during the conversion.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Cheif Dish & Bottle Washer

Registered SVX
some minor issues

I'm glad to see you have given consideration to the Pedal Assy issue and the Clutch Actuator issues,

but you should also give some thought to the Rear Tranny Support issue as well.

There are a couple of ways to deal with it.
A search will reveal several conversations and some good photos on diferent members solutions to their setup.

Also the Shifter Anchoring Braket can become an issue if you don't plan for it. Small car's kit helps with that.

The shifting rods need an accuratly measured modification or you could end up with the shif stick standing improperly in the center console. This could result in bumping the shifter surround plate during shifts. (minor issue, but annoying)

with a stick shift you will have options on an appropriate shift knob and boot too. You will want it to look good when youre done, won;t you?

The more you know about the issues, the better prepared you will be to deal with them.

I hope your swap goes as easily for you as mine went for me. I'm sure you will be glad you did.

TXCESSVX
Old 03-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally posted by SilVerXtc

Actually I think its a ea82 dual range from a Loyale. Mudrat made a adapter kit so it would bolt up to my engine. This is a much cheaper route than having a Forester Dual range imported. And I think I will actually get lower gearing with the ea82.

Ok, so I need to get pedal assembly from a hydraulic Subaru. Or Maybe I should just use the pedal assembly from the forester in the SVX. Since the dual range going into the Forester is Cable. I'll just get a cable pedal assembly for the Forester.

Ah, OK. Yes the EA82 trannys had a much lower low range, I just did't realize your were getting the Mudrat kit. Is your Farester lifted?

Anyway, l guess you could just use the pedal box out of the Forester and a cable box out of an older Legacy or Imprezza will be alot cheaper and easier to get to put back in the Forester.

Good luck with your conversion, and so far your getting alot of good advice.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 03-05-2005, 01:40 PM
SilVerXtc

thanks guys this advice is really helping me out. I'm trying to get all the info I can to make sure this conversion goes smoothly and quickly as possible without any unforseen issues.