Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-06-2002, 01:43 PM
Brian Steel

5 Speed, headlights, Northwest

Howdy all,
Been busy on my 92 and and lots of other stuff but thought I'd get comments on my planned mods. We're nearly finished with the 5 speed conversion and we plan to offer this conversion for customers. The special parts for the pedal assembly, mounts and linkage we have CAD designed so we can have them laser cut for future conversions. We are using the hydraulic clutch so had to rearrange things a bit to make everything fit well. As soon as we are finished, I will cost out the job for those who might be interested. The specs are: 4:11 differential ratios, limited slip rear, RS or WRX clutch. I think the finished job will look factory under the closest scrutiny. I believe the final cost will be $3000-4000.
As soon as the 92 is on the road, I would like to get together with other Northwest SVX'ers to get impressions on the 5 speed.
I am working on some headlights, converting to clear front lenses but I have to work out how to spread the light properly for the high beams and the fogs. They light pattern definately does not look right without something there to diffuse the light.
A bit further down the road, I am thinking about modifying the front bumper for a more aggressive look. For a Photoshop look at the future front end, check out: Future Silver front
Old 01-06-2002, 02:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
brian,
sounds promising, definately interested. keep us posted.

chris
Old 01-06-2002, 03:03 PM
0260N4

Yes I also agree sounds interesting. I am in the Northwest (sort of) and I would be happy to drive your five speed and give you my impressions. I really like that front end too please keep us up to date on your progress.

0260N4

Last edited by 0260N4; 01-06-2002 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:05 PM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Cool

Might have to drive up there and check it out. I visit the Seattle area about once a year anyways since I lived there a few years ago.

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 01-07-2002, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

I am very interested inthe 5/6 speed swap! I will be very interested once you have the kit completed. My trans is OK now, but who knows what the future holds.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:12 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Im interested

....I have another 92 ready for a trans. Ill be keeping in touch
too.
dg

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 01-07-2002, 11:15 PM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
Has anyone investigated the use of the WRX STi 6-speed transmission with our engines? I ask because in terms of torque handling, I think the new and supposedly bulletproof 6-speed would be a better long-term option than the Impreza/Legacy transmission which is known to have problems with powerful engines such as ours. This would be even more important if one were to do something interesting like a manual conversion AND forced induction.

Unfortunately, even if the transmission does match up, it is not available in the US yet and there are very few worldwide at the moment, so costs will be high (especially if that price list at http://www.wrxonly.com/images/6sp_Conversion.htm is any indication ).

Additionally, the gearing in this gearbox is kinda low, but if you keep the 3.55 ratio in the rear diff and change the front diff to have the same ratio, you'll get about 60 MPH in sixth gear at 2500 RPM (at least accrorrding to http://www.maitreg.com/Cars/tools/sp...B1=Recalculate )

Hmm...with a 6-speed gearbox and a turbo or supercharger, my dream of an SVX open-class rally car might be a possibility...
Old 01-07-2002, 11:21 PM
Brian Steel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by alex_umn
[B]Has anyone investigated the use of the WRX STi 6-speed transmission with our engines? I ask because in terms of torque handling, I think the new and supposedly bulletproof 6-speed would be a better long-term option than the Impreza/Legacy transmission which is known to have problems with powerful engines such as ours. [QUOTE]

Alex,
What problems are known about with the Impreza/Legacy transmissions?
Old 01-07-2002, 11:33 PM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
Well, it could all just be FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt), but at least I've gotten the inkling from the i-club forums that these transmissions are not as strong as some people would like. People have been destroying the syncros in the WRX which has roughly the same transmission as the rest of the line except for gearing. Then again, they might be doing things like 5k RPM clutch drops, which is obviously not a grand idea in an AWD car!

A good example thread is at http://www.impreza-rs.com/forums/sho...hreadid=131816

For my SVX 5-speed setup I'm using an ACT clutch, which might make things a little more dicey, at least from what I've read, but hopefully my paranoia will make for a longer-lasting transmission.

And even if one goes through a 5-speed tranny every couple of years, it will only cost about $500 for a decent one, as opposed to the cost of replacing an automatic...

PS, here's a better link: http://www.impreza-rs.com/forums/sho...k+transmission

Last edited by alex_umn; 01-07-2002 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:04 AM
One teal and One yellow

Smile keep it up

i like the idea of the 'clear headlights'. it will make the car more future-look at the front.

i feel the 'svx' text on your front grille is in wrong font.

i also feel the 'clear headlights' may be too clear to me.

PS: did I tell you that your license plate has been expired?
(shhhhhhhh...pls dont tell anymore)

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 01-08-2002, 03:36 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by alex_umn
Has anyone investigated the use of the WRX STi 6-speed transmission with our engines?
My understanding is that the newer Subarus have a different bell housing, with 6 bolts instead of just 4 like the SVX has.
So it'd be a no go on the 6-speed........Unless I design a adapter plate........humm.......
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-08-2002, 09:08 PM
Brian Steel

Six speed, twin turbo, drags

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369

My understanding is that the newer Subarus have a different bell housing, with 6 bolts instead of just 4 like the SVX has.
So it'd be a no go on the 6-speed........Unless I design a adapter plate........humm.......
Huck,
I believe there are 8 bolts on the newer engines and transmissions. http://www.smallcar.com/svx/Image05.jpg but all the original bolts are still there in the same places. The above image is from a 2000 Impreza 2.5L that we just finished installing in a Vanagon with the same adaptor as the early motors and the 3.3L. I'd be happy to install one of the six speeds in an SVX if someone comes up with a tranny and the 3.90 rear differential.

Alex,
After reading the posts from the WRX crowd, it definately seems to me that most of the breakage of the Impreza/Legacy transmissions are caused by abuse. I used to drag race a 67 Beetle in NHRA division 6 for years and have a pretty good list of do's and dont's to keep from breaking parts. Kind of necessary when you're putting 200 hp through a transmission that was built for 50. I used to tell people that if the very fast Corvettes I raced against in modified eliminator had to run at my 17lbs/cubic inch weight, they would need to put one Vette on top of another and run 11.90's. Speaking of drag racing, have any of you seen the guy in New York running an SVX engine in an Altered and a dragster. He kicked butt all year and I believe won his division. Locally there is a repair shop only a couple miles away with a twin turbo SVX engine in a Bug set up for the drags. I think he's been to the track but doesn't have it dialed in yet.

If anybody has the SVX and the bucks, we'll do the six speed and the twin turbo.

Last edited by Brian Steel; 01-08-2002 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:36 PM
SVXtc

I'm curious...what did you do to get the headlights to look like that? My friend has a plexiglass bender. Would that help to get the look similar to yours?
Old 01-10-2002, 01:37 PM
Brian Steel

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtc
I'm curious...what did you do to get the headlights to look like that? My friend has a plexiglass bender. Would that help to get the look similar to yours?
Keep in mind that the front end mods shown were done with Photoshop. I'm working on the headlamps right now and since I want the clear fronts to follow the original contour, I'm working out how to accomplish a compound bend in 1/8" plexiglass. Top to bottom is about a 6" radius and left to right is 3' or so. Any one of you have extensive knowledge in that area?
Old 01-10-2002, 08:04 PM
SVXtc

A couple of guys in my car club are getting a plexiglass bender. I take it that is what you need to get the job done. I will show them this post and see what they say.

Last edited by SVXtc; 01-12-2002 at 04:47 PM.