How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Oricalm

Window Tint Check

Ok I got pulled over this morning and got a warning/repair order for the window tint on my SVX. I'm pretty sure it's in compliance with MD state laws, so if I don't have to get anything fixed, I don't want to. Should I just go to the nearest barracks and ask them to check and make sure my windows aren't too dark? (My car's used so I have no idea who did the tinting. The car's been in the family for about 5 years though with the same tinting and been driven regularly, but never stopped for it before. Think it may have been because the weather being dark made the windows look darker) Thanks for the help guys!

-Mike
Old 04-08-2004, 09:55 AM
jerm781

Certain areas in Maryland you just cant have dark tint. Do you know what % tint it is? 35% and up is legal in Maryland, most cars have 20% not too dark but not light. This might be what you have, most cops don't care some have nothing better to do. I use to work in eldersberg and they always stopped me till I got legal tint(looks almost not tinted). But since I dont work there anymore I went back to 20%, had it for 4 years now no problems. If you got a repair order you gotta do something and if you think you good, have em check it.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
http://www.tintdude.com/itom.html#Maryland
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Oricalm

I appreciate the sites guys and have read them over. Will the Barracks check the % for me or do I have to go to a mechanic? I want to avoid a mechanic/shop if possible becuase with my luck they'd b/s that it had to be fixed just so they could make the money doing it. Plus if the barracks can verify the % and I'm alright, I can take care of the repair order in 1 trip. I mean, my windows really aren't that dark so I don't think it's really a problem. Just a bad day. Afterall, you can look all the way through the car and still see out the other side fairly easily. Thanks again!

-Mike
Old 04-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Oricalm
I appreciate the sites guys and have read them over. Will the Barracks check the % for me or do I have to go to a mechanic? I want to avoid a mechanic/shop if possible becuase with my luck they'd b/s that it had to be fixed just so they could make the money doing it. Plus if the barracks can verify the % and I'm alright, I can take care of the repair order in 1 trip. I mean, my windows really aren't that dark so I don't think it's really a problem. Just a bad day. Afterall, you can look all the way through the car and still see out the other side fairly easily. Thanks again!

-Mike
Yes, I'd probably go to the barracks. Have them check for sure and give you a written "pass" note to carry 'round with you, if they say you're fine. That way, if you get stopped again, you can show the officer. Did the officer in question NOT check with a guage? Officers here carry a guage with them, just in case.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Oricalm

No, he didn't check or anything. He just said it "looked kinda dark", but then it was a very overcast day. I think he was hoping to catch me without a seatbelt or speeding and when he didn't he just went for that as an excuse for pulling me over. He gave me a warning and the repair order, and being as a ticket will rock my insurance, I wasn't really going to question him. A warning and a bit of driving/calling is better than insurance hikes.

-Mike