How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-14-2003, 02:29 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
So yeah, please go into detail and prove me wrong.

I proved you wrong in basically every point you've made here, with the exception of 'satellite reprogramming'.

Also, see this:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=168174

I win.

- Rob
Old 07-14-2003, 04:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Reaper450128
Hmm... I can think of something to throw in here that would complicate things and perhaps settle things at the same time, but I wonder if that would simply make things worse...? I've actually already mentioned it my last post, so I guess it can't hurt too much:

You both seem to be looking at only a segment of your individual preferences, you seem to forget that there are other operating systems for both of these architectures. Personally, as I mentioned before, I prefer UNIX for any task that I deem "mission critical" due to its inherent stability, and I know it is a far more efficient OS as well. I believe that there are versions of it that are better than OSX for these reasons, and certainly those same versions with x86 kernels are better than Windows, for those reasons. HOWEVER.... there is still no question in my mind, and were you to walk into a computer store whose only affinity is for money and therefore doesn't really cater to any specific market, you will find that the greatest selection of software and hardware is for PCs (x86), not Mac, and for Windows, not UNIX. Now, does large selection neccessarily prove superiority? Not entirely. It certainly makes it more appealing to use a PC with Windows, at least to the majority. Yet, like I previously stated, the hardware and OS used by current Macs is most certainly more stable and efficient than that of current PCs.

However, this does appear to be changing. For example, Intel is moving away from x86 with the Itanium, proving they realize that its time is drawing to a close. There is a growing market for UNIX derivatives on PCs and Macs. Walk into previously mentioned computer store, and most likely you will find a copy of RedHat Linux on the shelf, perhaps others as well, capable of running on either architecture, as well as even more powerful ones such as Sun or Alpha. Now, while this doesn't herald the end of Windows or OSX as we know them, it does present some evidence that times may be changing, and one day in the next few years we may all be using the same OS, no matter what hardware we have. For the moment, though, the market belongs to Wintel, and as such I will follow the market.

Now, can you both simply agree to look forward to this day and end this little war here? Or have I just added another target...?
Old 07-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Reaper450128
Hmm... I can think of something to throw in here that would complicate things and perhaps settle things at the same time, but I wonder if that would simply make things worse...? I've actually already mentioned it my last post, so I guess it can't hurt too much:

You both seem to be looking at only a segment of your individual preferences, you seem to forget that there are other operating systems for both of these architectures. Personally, as I mentioned before, I prefer UNIX for any task that I deem "mission critical" due to its inherent stability, and I know it is a far more efficient OS as well. I believe that there are versions of it that are better than OSX for these reasons, and certainly those same versions with x86 kernels are better than Windows, for those reasons. HOWEVER.... there is still no question in my mind, and were you to walk into a computer store whose only affinity is for money and therefore doesn't really cater to any specific market, you will find that the greatest selection of software and hardware is for PCs (x86), not Mac, and for Windows, not UNIX. Now, does large selection neccessarily prove superiority? Not entirely. It certainly makes it more appealing to use a PC with Windows, at least to the majority. Yet, like I previously stated, the hardware and OS used by current Macs is most certainly more stable and efficient than that of current PCs.

However, this does appear to be changing. For example, Intel is moving away from x86 with the Itanium, proving they realize that its time is drawing to a close. There is a growing market for UNIX derivatives on PCs and Macs. Walk into previously mentioned computer store, and most likely you will find a copy of RedHat Linux on the shelf, perhaps others as well, capable of running on either architecture, as well as even more powerful ones such as Sun or Alpha. Now, while this doesn't herald the end of Windows or OSX as we know them, it does present some evidence that times may be changing, and one day in the next few years we may all be using the same OS, no matter what hardware we have. For the moment, though, the market belongs to Wintel, and as such I will follow the market.

Now, can you both simply agree to look forward to this day and end this little war here? Or have I just added another target...?
Windows, OSX, and UNIX suck! DOS rules!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-14-2003, 05:37 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

I'm not trying to start a war either. I just stated my opinion, and DavieGravy responded in false statements on a subject he obviously lacks experience and knowledge in. I just wanted to clear up the BS, and right his falsities. If YOU think a PC is better, fine, good for you.... if you think a PC is better and that Macs can't fileshare, macs can't do p2p, macs can't game, macs can't do this, that, etc, well.... fine, you're completley wrong, but whatever, good for you, you heard what you wanted to hear and now you have a PC that will most likely crash quite often and be worth nothing in about 5 months.

- Rob
Old 07-14-2003, 06:15 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
I'm not trying to start a war either. I just stated my opinion, and DavieGravy responded in false statements on a subject he obviously lacks experience and knowledge in. I just wanted to clear up the BS, and right his falsities. If YOU think a PC is better, fine, good for you.... if you think a PC is better and that Macs can't fileshare, macs can't do p2p, macs can't game, macs can't do this, that, etc, well.... fine, you're completley wrong, but whatever, good for you, you heard what you wanted to hear and now you have a PC that will most likely crash quite often and be worth nothing in about 5 months.

- Rob
actually Rob, i've had my Windows XP PC for a year and its never crashed and never had a virus. previous versions of Windows have had much suck, but XP is pretty stable (all remains of DOS are gone.) you can even skin it to look like Aqua, Panther, etc. if you don't like the look. Macs may be 'easier' for some things, but when it came time for me to buy a computer, a PC was WAY less expensive than a Mac with comparable performance. i checked them out, because my brother is a Mac-fool and he urged me to get one.
BTW, why is it easier to make videos on a Mac? i'm thinking 'easy' means less options or editing control. i could be wrong, but i've found that most things that were 'easy' were also lacking tweakability and control.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-14-2003, 06:33 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Did you watch that SVX music vid I made??? The one where phil and I were at the strip? That took me about 1.5 hours. Try that with a PC. Then burn it to DVD. And compress it to put it on the net. See how long it takes you, or how much of a hassle it is, and count how many programs you use.

Video editing isn't just easier on a mac, its BETTER. With iMovie, you can do quite a bit, and its SOOOO EASY. With final cut pro, you can do almost anything.

- Rob
Old 07-16-2003, 03:52 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

You were still wrong about everything you said. The one exception being the satellite cards. No, you can't do that on a mac. That I know of anyway. But other than that, you were wrong on EVERY SINGLE POINT.

And I'm not mad at you, nor do I think any less of you. I think you're a cool guy, but you need to admit when you're wrong.

- Rob
Old 07-16-2003, 10:50 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
This is just stupid. Your comparing apples (sorry) to oranges. All the stuff Rob brought up was right on about 5 years ago. The company has changed alot though. They have completely moved their focus. They are no longer fighting PC's. That's a hopeless battle because PC is not a company. It's more like a phenomenon. It's funny how despite all the great, cheap, efficient, and sensible technology that is available out there, 99% of the public uses the expensive, inefficient, obsolete nonsense simply because we are told by billion dollar companies that it's good. That goes for both Microsoft and Apple computer. Niether of these platforms are even within light years of what can be done, and what can be purchased by the average joe. It's just that we buy it cause we are too lazy to do a little homework and see what else we can get.

Windows is by far one of the worst operating systems you can buy. All the Mac guys talk about OS being the pinnacle of OS efficiency - man they sure don't get out much. Even windows can be MADE into a more efficient operating system by someone who knows what they are doing. Microsoft issues "developer's" software for companies who want compatibility in their products. I happen to currently be running a "developer's" version of Windows XP (pro build 2660), I was given this by my cousin who is what they call a "developer", the simple changes he made are quite amazing. I have never had a microsoft product that behaves this well. I'm very satisfied with it and that means alot coming from me (you'd understand that if you knew me). That simply goes to prove that microsoft could do better.

Any video editing you can do on Mac can be done just as easily on a PC. It's different sure, but to the same end in the same time. I have done lot's of video work on PC and had the opportunity to use Mac at Pitt. It was harder for me at first cause i had to learn all the software from scratch. But even now that I know it well, it's really no easier. It's more cartoonish...but that's pretty pointless.

I too have had no virus problems. The closest i've come to a virus is seeing the message "Norton has determined that this file contains a virus, press CONTINUE to repair the file or DELETE to delete it". WOW that sure seems like alot to do just to get rid of a virus eh?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: