IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2003, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Check engine light

Today the check engine light came on suddenly in my 96 SVX. It has continued to stay lit after turning off the engine and restarting. I have even momentarily disconnected the battery to sort of reset it but it refuses to go away.

I talked to larry III and he said his 97 did the exact same thing at 50,000 miles (mine has 52,000). The OBDII on his said it was the third O2 sensor. He said don't wotrry about it before the meet.

Is it that simple? Any help appreciated. It is under Subaru extended warranty.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
It could be one of many things. Personally I'd stop by someplace, such as a parts store, that could link up and pull the code for you. At least that way you wouldn't be sweating all weekend, wondering what the problem might be.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:18 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

John. I TOLD you I'd be glad to do the black electrical tape fix. Now you get to sweat bullets for a day or two. I think the code refers to excessive Dremel pressure applied to battery posts. Nonetheless, I think you'll make it to Reading, light or no light.

See ya - Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 04-08-2003 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

The dealer just called me and said that BOTH front O2 sensors were bad. Parts and labor were almost 600.00

I can't believe that both sensors went bad at exactly the same time since my check engine light came on once and stayed lit.Never any indications before this.

Of course they are not covered in the classic warranty. Aren't there other places I can get these sensors cheaper? Seems like I read something on this board.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 04-09-2003, 01:33 PM
Green1995SVX

There are places that sell universal sensors, although I cant remember where. Sorry John. Hopefully someone else knows. Maybe try the search button?

Mike
Old 04-09-2003, 02:18 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

2 O2 censors for 600????? eeks...
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 04-09-2003, 03:35 PM
Not as old as Randy

I'll do 'em for $500.

See this thread: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...=oxygen+sensor
Old 04-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Went to the dealer and talked to the service manager and the zone rep, who just happened to be there. Since I have taken all my cars there for service (and bought 2 new Outback VDC's in a three month period) they agreed to let me have the 2 O2 sensors, installation and diagnostics for a total of $370.00-10% or a final bill of $333.00.

Old 04-09-2003, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

By the way, do the error codes or any part of the computer have to be reset by the dealer after installing the new oxygen sensors or will the computer automatically relearn the correct parameters as I drive?

Old 04-09-2003, 05:44 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Man... I would've brought down Bosch O2 sensors and installed them for you at reading for $333...

Considering it takes all of 20 minutes to do both.

VK
Quote:
Originally posted by svxcess
Went to the dealer and talked to the service manager and the zone rep, who just happened to be there. Since I have taken all my cars there for service (and bought 2 new Outback VDC's in a three month period) they agreed to let me have the 2 O2 sensors, installation and diagnostics for a total of $370.00-10% or a final bill of $333.00.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:16 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

wow..... that's like 40some percent off the original price man
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 04-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Not as old as Randy

They will only need to clear the code(s). As the computer receives the signals from the sensors in order to know how the mixture is being burnt there's really nothing new for it to adapt. Short term fuel trim adapts immediately and the long term trim will adapt within a few minutes. (Short term averages out from O2 sensor input, long term averages from short term trim levels.)
Old 04-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
They will only need to clear the code(s). As the computer receives the signals from the sensors in order to know how the mixture is being burnt there's really nothing new for it to adapt. Short term fuel trim adapts immediately and the long term trim will adapt within a few minutes. (Short term averages out from O2 sensor input, long term averages from short term trim levels.)

So if John had used the less expensive black tape cure, what would the ultimate result be, & how soon?

Ron (I check the engine every time I open the hood - Yup, still there!)

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:13 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Would you really be willing to take that chance though? Suppose there's another, more serious code? You won't know about it until it's too late.