Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2003, 08:29 PM
billisa

Question No air through dash vents?

I remember reading something about this, but can't find it. Just last week I stopped being able to get air through the dash vents. It will only come through the floor vents or defrost. Isn't there some actuator I can grease?
Old 03-17-2003, 10:33 AM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Check to make sure the doors in the ducts under the dash are opening freely; they can be lubed if they aren't. That may not actually be the problem - the climate control brain decides when to open and close things, and doesn't always use human logic to do so (at least not my human logic).

Also do a climate control diagnostic test to see if it shows any faults. Should be a how-to for the diagnostic somewhere on this forum.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 03-17-2003, 01:24 PM
Paxton71

no air from center vents

There is a single servo that controls both the location and the heat flapper. This Sevro can fail. It isn't hard to get to, it is under the dash, passenger side, center console.

Undo the control rods, and pull it down for testing. You can start the self test mode on the climate control by holding... Hmmm I can't remember, 2 left top buttons and turning on the ignition. It will return error codes as to what is wrong, it'll be this flapper motor. You'll hear the motor on the servo run (or try to run) during the self test.

I know this isn't EXACTLY what you want, but a search on climate control self test will help get you started.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:23 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Not that you haven't already checked but what I have found with mine is that when in "auto" control, warm air (when needed) blows though the defroster and floor vents and cool air (when needed) blows out the dash vents. Do you get any air when you sent it to "Vent"? This should pipe it directly through the dash vents. If not then you should begin looking for control problems like above.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:24 PM
billisa

Lube problem, I think.

I can make it work by pushing a plastic armature, (under the dash near the driver's right foot) so I think a little grease applied somewhere might help. I just have to see more closely where to apply it. Any clear suggestions would be most appreciated.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:59 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
i dont know about you guy but i dont think ive ever gotten hot air in through the vents, after 78 ish (dont rmember) it will cut off and send it all to the floor...unless its on defrost
phil
Old 03-19-2003, 05:19 AM
Hater

one of my major gripes about the SVX - the climate controls. this is one area where less would have been more. the cold AC is superb, though.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-19-2003, 10:09 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I think the climate control does a good job. Every once in a while I may change it a degree but it does everything I want it to.

I find that once the interior is at the selected temperature it does overcompensate a bit to keep it there. (cool air from vents to warm air at feet repeatedly)
Old 03-19-2003, 10:24 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
I think the climate control does a good job. Every once in a while I may change it a degree but it does everything I want it to.
i'd like to able to put the heat/cold WHERE I WANT IT, not where the computer decides it should go! three fan speeds is kinda weak, too - sometimes i'd like an "in-between" setting.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-19-2003, 11:05 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Ok, maybe a medium-high fan setting would be nice. There is a big difference between medium fan speed and high fan speed. In auto though the fan speed seems infinitely variable.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to wynndi Send a message via Yahoo to wynndi
The control unit is EASY to disassemble. White lithium grease all of the moving parts. Mine had jumped a cog and I was able to reseat it. Be sure to note (or take a digital pic) of the armature (white plastic control rod holder) position, or you will be spending hours trying to get it positioned correctly!

Old 05-26-2003, 04:16 PM
Loki

Could someone please take a pic or something of where this is? I am unable to see the armature, do I need to dissasamble the dash or console? Thanks for your response, BTW my 134a leaks out in 4-5 day's, Is that a big or small leak? Is that leak sealer or the $15 MaxiSeal stuff at all helpful or is it just for the poor sap who thinks it would actually help. Thanks again.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:47 PM
THE MEMBER

Send a message via AIM to marlettpat Send a message via Yahoo to marlettpat
just a stupid question, but i have wondered this before, but then i turn off the defroster and it works. DUH to me!! just a thought