Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-20-2003, 05:08 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
O/T....Like an Infinity?? Question for Todd

Todd,

Found this car on a Japanese website, have never seen one before and it looks like the sort of car I could get on with.

http://www.occidental.co.jp/inventor...ine_300_gt.htm

Is this anything like your Infinity? The cost quoted is about $20K I think.

Just wondering...

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-20-2003, 08:24 PM
AbdominalSnoman

Wow, that looks exactly like a infinity g35 coupe. Notice that it says it has a 3 liter V6. The infinity has the same 275 hp 3.5 liter that the nissan 350z has. I hope that that means that this car has the even more powerful 3.0 Twin Turbo that I believe they once had in the R33 and R34 versions. (it may have been a 3.3 TT) I for one would prefer the 3.0TT. I would also like to know if it has AWD like the older skylines had i.e. R33 and R34. (sorry almost all my knowledge is based off of Gran Turismo and internet research on these cars several years ago.)
Old 01-21-2003, 05:06 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: O/T....Like an Infinity?? Question for Todd

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Todd,

Found this car on a Japanese website, have never seen one before and it looks like the sort of car I could get on with.

http://www.occidental.co.jp/inventor...ine_300_gt.htm

Is this anything like your Infinity? The cost quoted is about $20K I think.

Just wondering...

Joe
Hello Joe

Yes, that would be, except for the color and the engine size a duplicate of our Infiniti G35 sedan. Ours is a 260hp 3.5 L, the coupe mentioned above uses a 280hp version of the same engine while the new 350Z uses a 287hp version of the same engine. I've put pics in my locker from when the world wasn't quite as cold and grey as it is now. Is the price you mentioned euro or pound? If euro that seems to be a very good buy!

I've been meaning to send you some articles I've collected on the car along with a little something special. Send me a PM with your mailing address as I seem to be incapable of NOT misplacing it!

Todd
Old 01-21-2003, 05:13 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by AbdominalSnoman
Wow, that looks exactly like a infinity g35 coupe. Notice that it says it has a 3 liter V6. The infinity has the same 275 hp 3.5 liter that the nissan 350z has. I hope that that means that this car has the even more powerful 3.0 Twin Turbo that I believe they once had in the R33 and R34 versions. (it may have been a 3.3 TT) I for one would prefer the 3.0TT. I would also like to know if it has AWD like the older skylines had i.e. R33 and R34. (sorry almost all my knowledge is based off of Gran Turismo and internet research on these cars several years ago.)
A couple of mis-statements in your post Abdominal. The US spec Infiniti G35 sedan uses a 260hp 3.5L VQ35. The G35 coupe uses a 280hp VQ35 and the 350Z uses a 287hp VQ35. All naturally aspirated.

The platform uses the Skyline name in Japan, but is only powered by the V6 VQ series engine. The inline 6 (turbo and non-turbo) will not be used in this version. The car pictured in the link is RWD, though the FM (Front Midship) platform used by the Skyline, G35's, 350Z, and new Infiniti FX45 SUV can be adapted for AWD and a 4.5L V8. There is a lot of speculation as to what will power the new high-output Skyline, though nothing has been confirmed to my knowledge.

Todd
Old 01-21-2003, 06:19 AM

Re: Re: O/T....Like an Infinity?? Question for Todd

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

Is the price you mentioned euro or pound? If euro that seems to be a very good buy!
Todd,

2,400,000 Jp Yen = 20,200 US$ ~ 19,000 Eur ~ 12,600 UKŁ

Phil.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:53 AM
AbdominalSnoman

I always thought that they had different HPs than 275, but I was at an auto show sunday and the window sticker for the g35 listed it as a 275hp so that's why I said that. (I will bet any amount of money that I'm remembering that right because I got into a long converstion with my dad about this while sitting in the car)
Old 01-21-2003, 10:00 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Infinitely cute!

Thanks Todd for the info.

Looks a very nice shape. I would much prefer this to BMW 5 series. It would be rear wheel drive OK. The website would have listed AWD if fitted.

Probably is naturally aspirated also. Nissan would call a turbo a 300 GT-T, I think.

Is yours a good drive?

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by AbdominalSnoman
I always thought that they had different HPs than 275, but I was at an auto show sunday and the window sticker for the g35 listed it as a 275hp so that's why I said that. (I will bet any amount of money that I'm remembering that right because I got into a long converstion with my dad about this while sitting in the car)
How much money you got?

Here's a link to the coupe's specs showing 280hp.
http://www.infiniti.com/discover/Mod...,23920,00.html

The sedan is 260 from the same engine.

http://www.infiniti.com/discover/Mod...,22756,00.html

I accept all denominations Abdominal! I'll send you a PM with my address!

Joe,

The car is a good drive and very distinctive, though not beautiful. HP and tirque make it enjoyable with the RWD. The low end is impressive with the 5 speed auto trans and the midrange (40-80mph) shames the SVX! I think you and the family would enjoy it. Time for a new car??? Ann's Honda was getting up there in miles from what I recall. I've got a great idea. You and the family fly over to the states, test drive ours while here and then buy one for yourselves!!! Brilliant!

Todd

Last edited by wawazat??; 01-21-2003 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Test drive??

Careful, dude, I could take you up on that!

Ann's Honda is due an honorable retirement soon, and pretty sure she would take to a Skyline / Infinity.

However, my tastes in cars tend to be more, what shall I say?, esoteric than Ann's. I have been warned that I will have no say whatsoever in our next change. So the Honda will be making way for something small and easy to park, that costs next to nothing to tax or insure, that can be serviced by small children or your average so-called mechanic, and that will drive for another 10 or 15 miles on the smell of petrol that your shoes pick up from the petrol station forecourt.

What's that?? You want to know the 0-100-0 time?? About July, I would say, maybe February if we buy the sports model.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-22-2003, 06:39 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Test drive??

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Careful, dude, I could take you up on that!

Ann's Honda is due an honorable retirement soon, and pretty sure she would take to a Skyline / Infinity.

However, my tastes in cars tend to be more, what shall I say?, esoteric than Ann's. I have been warned that I will have no say whatsoever in our next change. So the Honda will be making way for something small and easy to park, that costs next to nothing to tax or insure, that can be serviced by small children or your average so-called mechanic, and that will drive for another 10 or 15 miles on the smell of petrol that your shoes pick up from the petrol station forecourt.

What's that?? You want to know the 0-100-0 time?? About July, I would say, maybe February if we buy the sports model.

Joe
The invitation is open Joe!

Sorry to see your car selection days are over. Wendy has yet to pull that responsibility from my grasp.

The Infiniti/Skyline definitely does not meet Ann's fuel consumption criteria. It's slightly worse than the SVX is now (17 around town, low-mid 20's on the hwy), though it is still going through it's break-in period. It might also be a function of the driver fully utilizing all 260hp (use 'em of lose 'em).

Fuel mileage on my VW climbed dramatically once it passed 10K miles.

Cheers!
Todd