IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2003, 08:08 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile The Two Year Anniversary Report

Greetings everyone. Tomorrow is the 2 year anniversary date of the purchase of my '92. The car looks remarkably similar to the way it did then, as I bought on a snowy day, & it was caked with road salt, just like is right now. I did a report at the one year point, so I may as well continue the tradition. I've put 33,100 miles on the beast in two years. The clock now reads 111,833K. Pretty "average" miles in today's mega-commute society. She's garaged & totally stock except for a K & N air filter, a straight pipe resonator replacement & a B & M tranny cooler. I use her as a daily driver & mostly used my van as a weekend go-fer. I took her on two long trips of over 3K each. I've documented a couple of maintenance incidents here already, so I'll spare the reruns.

Point of all this is that OTHER than one wheel bearing, all other repairs were "routine" in my opinion & nothing out of line with the money commonly thrown at any 10 year old machine. Everything on the car functions properly. I'm not counting a few blown dash lights, but the antenna goes up & down, the auto-seat belt still knocks coffee out of my grasp, the CD never skips & one tap opens the sunroof. The visors only sag about half an inch, & yes, there's some front rotor warpage that I'm ignoring 'til it's new pad time. Incidentally, the front pads are the original from purchase date & still have 50% left.

So.... despite placing the ultimate jinx on the Batmobile by pushing the "submit" key, I just think some of you may want to know that it IS possible to achieve a state of relative equilibrium with these cars.

I wish all of you a trouble-free SVX year!

Ron (all digits in crossing pattern).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:14 PM
Boone

Re: The Two Year Anniversary Report

OM....
Old 01-19-2003, 12:28 AM

Registered SVX
Ron old mate, I will second what you have said. I have had mine for abuot the same time and it is in constant use as the hack for all things and it is perfect in ALL respects.

It has given NO TROUBLE and has required nothing, but what can be considered normal, in the way of expense. I do not abuse it but niether do I pamper it and treat it as simply the very good and interesting transport which it has proven to be. If it were otherwise it would be long gone.

Why do you think we are so much the odd men out here ? I have my own ideas. Before anyone jumps in, I can assure you that I do not drive as a doddery old man and often "have a go" much to my wife's annoyance. In particular if the thing did not handle and go, I would not "have a bar of it", as an old Ausie mate of mine used to say.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-19-2003, 12:33 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
So you are saying that wheel bearing replacement is not routine repair??
Old 01-19-2003, 07:44 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
So you are saying that wheel bearing replacement is not routine repair??
Yeah, David, I knew after posting that someone would bring up the bearing as being routine "for an SVX". But since I've never replaced a bearing in any car since the '50s, I'll include on the "non-routine" side of the automotive ledger.

Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 01-19-2003, 08:01 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Cool

It has given NO TROUBLE and has required nothing, but what can be considered normal, in the way of expense.

Why do you think we are so much the odd men out here ? I have my own ideas. Before anyone jumps in, I can assure you that I do not drive as a doddery old man and often "have a go" much to my wife's annoyance. In particular if the thing did not handle and go, I would not "have a bar of it", as an old Ausie mate of mine used to say. [/B][/QUOTE]

Trevor, there are a number of folks here who can probably echo a similar experience, but it's like the nightly news - if it isn't bleeding, no one pays attention.

With respect to being "the odd men out", my automotive ideas equate with sex (don't they always), but 90% cruising coupled with 10% racing, keeps the equipment in decent working order without blowing a gasket.

(Your percentages may vary).

Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 01-19-2003, 08:03 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Talking Re: Re: The Two Year Anniversary Report

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
OM....
Thanks, Boone. May the Cootie be with me.

Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K