How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-16-2003, 11:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to mhl0125 Send a message via Yahoo to mhl0125
More questions from a novice SVXer.

Mine is a 95 SVX L. It appears I don't have a security system or keyless entry. Were these standard or an option. I don't see a security button on the left side of the dash. Can keyless entry be added?

What is the sensor on top on the driver's side dash by the windshield?

Does $130 installed, balanced, valves. taxes, etc sound right per tire for the Yokohama AVSdb tires?

Does anyone have problems manually locking/enlocking door and hatch with the keys? If so, why is it so hard to turn the key in the locks?

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
It appears that, for '95, the security system was optional on both the L and LS, but standard on the LSi. Yes, you can have one fitted, but I can't imagine what it'd cost. I think your best bet would be to pull one from a wrecked SVX, if you want the factory system.

The sensor on the driver's side of the dash, by the windshield, is the 'sun load sensor.' It helps the climate control, along with the temperature sensor by the controls, determine how best to use the air conditioning.

I actually can't unlock my driver's door with the keys (a curse that runs in the family - my SVX is the fourth car in my family, I think, to do this), but I always use my remote. I've never had a problem with the trunk or passenger door.

Edit: www.subaruparts.com has the factory security system listed for $247.61. We've had mixed results from them, and the listing doesn't specify whether or not the $250 also buys you a remote.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 01-16-2003 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:10 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Hi.
I also have a '95 SVX L. Mine didn't come with keyless entry or the security system either. Being in a small town, the security system is not missed. Keyless entry however . . .
You may find that as the weather warms up, your key works better. The car may just lock you out on really cold days/nights. I tend to keep a little canister of lock de-icer around on most winter days. It works pretty well, but a garage would work better.

My wife left me her Volvo this a. when she went off to work because we were expecting a lot of snow. DRAT! Nary a flake!
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 01-16-2003, 01:45 PM
1st one red, 2nd one black

keyless entry / stuck door locks

as an aside to Mr. Pockets
I went for almost 7 1/2 years without using the key in the door, I always used the keyless entry. One day, suffering the second alternator failure in six months, I had to jump start the car and when I arrived at the repair shop, I hopped out of the car and without thinking, hit the remote lock buttom. The last milli-amp of power in the bottom of the car battery dutifully locked the doors. You can see this coming can't you? Sure enough, there was nothing left in the SVXs' battery to unlock the doors. Because I had not used the key in the lock in so long, they were frozen solid, it took me several hours and lots of WD40, graphite, cursing and frustration to get that lock to work with the key.
Just thought I'd let you know, heaven forbid you get into that situation............

Bruce

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

The inventor of the doorbell did not own a dog.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:02 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

SVX Key

Congrats on your new baby. What color is it? I've got a 95 L as well. Do you have the original key or is it a cut key. Reason I ask is that most places do not have a Subaru key. They use Nissan keys which are close and will sometimes work well but mostly they do exactly like you describe. If that's the case. Call or email subaru with your vin and ask for the key code (check your owners manual as well there's a spot to write it in and maybe a previous owner did). You can then take that code to a dealer and have a key cut that'll be a perfect factory cut.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: keyless entry / stuck door locks

Quote:
Originally posted by blackbolt94red
as an aside to Mr. Pockets
I went for almost 7 1/2 years without using the key in the door, I always used the keyless entry. Because I had not used the key in the lock in so long, they were frozen solid, it took me several hours and lots of WD40, graphite, cursing and frustration to get that lock to work with the key.

Bruce
It's very possible that that's what happeend to my lock. Maybe when it warms up outside and I start to work on the SVX, I'll try some penetrating lube in the lock...

Thanks!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-16-2003, 09:18 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: Re: keyless entry / stuck door locks

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

It's very possible that that's what happeend to my lock. Maybe when it warms up outside and I start to work on the SVX, I'll try some penetrating lube in the lock...
Another suggestion for the next time you have your door panel off is to clean the lock mechanism from the inside. The lock should move so freely with the key that you should not be able to tell if you are unlocking the door or if it is already unlocked!
Old 01-17-2003, 08:56 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: security system

hi all,

what are the benefits of the subaru security system? is it better than most? when i bought this 92 it came with a viper security system.