Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2002, 12:22 PM
overdalimit

Unhappy GETTING WHIPPED ALOT

$VX one of the main reason for all of our losses at some time another is due to the heaviness of our SVX. Alot of people think that man I have 230HP so I should be able to beat this guy or even come close even if he does have let's say 250Hp. The whole problem with our car is that the damn thing is a heavy brick. I'd like to show you just a few comparisions

(Weights)

1995 SVX (AWD) 3525LBS
1997 Corvette 3229LBS
1990 Mustang 3327LBS
1995 Z28 3390LBS
1995 ImpalaSS 4036LBS

All of these cars for the year are upwards of 250HP execpt the Mustang! They have less weight and more torque (better Power/Weight ratio) than we do which makes it impossible for us to beat them. Don't even consider racing a Honda Civic that's been modded and around 200+ Hp.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE my SVX like hell but it wasn't designed for speed but handling and good looks because if it were for speed then I fell Subaru should've turbo'ed it or at least
made engine output in the 300HP range. That would have possed more problem though. The tranny can't hold the 230Hp and 3500LBS that it was designed to work with. Man nobody would have good trannys in their SVX. I've got ideas running thru my head for a supercharger system but that's just it the ideas are still running! LOL
Old 12-26-2002, 04:21 PM
Registered Abuser

tranny power

Isn't the limitation of the tranny the fact that it can't dump the heat fast enough, in stock form? As for the dront diff, that seems more prone to sheer power.
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 12-27-2002, 12:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Mmm... racin'

I lost to a friends later model 5.0 from a slow roll, but he was still less the 6 lengths ahead by the time 65-70 mph came up. I get beat on the highway all the time! Even a new Eclipse GT can take me at 80 or 90.

Anybody ever race an Impala SS (mid nineties)? I had a guy a couple months ago try me on the highway. I think we started at around 70 and I got up to almost 130. In the entire distance he only crept ahead to where my front bumper was at the back of his front door. Talk about someone being surprised at not trouncing me! He asks what kind of car at a light... his reply when I say "guess" was, "I don't know, is it a Saturn?" I wanted to kicks him in the groin at that point, but I let it go.

I don't think the SVX is TOO bad off the line. I've taken a number of cars from a stop... including an M3! Yes, he was racing, and no, he didn't have a bad launch. I quickly get reeled in and passed, but it is cool up until about 15-20 mph. Just waitin' for the turbo or supercharger project to pan out (w/crossed fingers... and toes).

-Aaron

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 12-27-2002, 12:32 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

M3

Funny you should mention that. I too toasted a M3 a while back. Guy was real mad . The only thing that I ever feel totally destroyed me was a Masarati Bi-Turbo and that was pulling onto a highway. He was in front and hammered it (a cloud of black smoke insued) and I had no luck even getting close to him. He was simply gone. Granted, he was probably in a hurry to get to his mechanic for a $5000 tune up but he humbled my SVX.