Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-22-2002, 07:58 AM
Is it Summer yet?

Re: Don, I've been gone for a while and I never noticed before, but what on earth....

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
It's a long story Colin..... Why haven't you posted for so long? Don
Well, after the 10th Anniv. Meet I was travelling a lot on business, plus vacation thrown in, and I have a long standing problem with my laptop that I can't post to the board from it. Sad to say that I just got out of the habit of coming here
Anyway, hopefully I'm back
I was just ribbing you about the SVT, I think it's a great car (if you lick that sort of thing)
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 12-22-2002, 08:15 AM
Alcyone SVX LSL

Re: Re: Don, I've been gone for a while and I never noticed before, but what on earth....

Quote:
Originally posted by montypython

(if you lick that sort of thing)
Only if it is very clean, fresh wax, hasn't been driven since, and definatly no road salt please...
Old 12-22-2002, 09:34 AM
Is it Summer yet?

Re: Re: Re: Don, I've been gone for a while and I never noticed before, but what on earth....

Quote:
Originally posted by MT maniac

Only if it is very clean, fresh wax, hasn't been driven since, and definatly no road salt please...
I could licking an SVX, but an SVT .... no thanks.
The road salt might seaon it nicely
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 12-22-2002, 04:51 PM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
The original intent of this thread was to post a light, fun and enjoyable story about how to keep our lives in perspective. Hopefully this will end what appears to be a drift away from the original intent, as it's beginning to appear to have the makings of a stick drawing a line in the sand between a few people. That is, without a doubt, not the reason I posted it.
You could call it that. I'll agree that its meandering away from its original intention but at least its meandering in an informative non insulting pretty interesting way.

- Ca$h

PS: I think the Focus is a great car. My mom needed a wagon so she ended up getting a Focus Wagon (I tried to talk her into a legacy but she wanted a brand new car (for some reason?!) but it was too much $. But, it is a REALLY nice little car. I wish I could get a test drive in the SVT, I hear the suspension is incredible.

PPS: I'm not one of the people who's brain shuts off purely because of the manufacturer of hte car; I'm pretty openminded.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:50 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
The original intent of this thread was to post a light, fun and enjoyable story about how to keep our lives in perspective. Hopefully this will end what appears to be a drift away from the original intent, as it's beginning to appear to have the makings of a stick drawing a line in the sand between a few people. That is, without a doubt, not the reason I posted it.
I think most viewed it this way Beav, thank you for posting it. Don't take it personal, you know that pretty much any topic posted these days will eventually break down into "stick drawing a line in the sand" situations.

You know, everyone would have continued with the "thank you" and "LOL" and that would have been the end of it. But one post by one person had to veer it off into another direction. Everyone else (no matter what their beliefs or personal priorities) would have taken the story for what they wanted it to be and just enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, I know how Ca$h well enough from his posts that as soon as I saw that part about going to church in the story I cringed because I knew it was only a matter of time before he posted exactly what he posted. Now that is starting to scare me, that I can predict things like that, and it wasn't even a obvious post like about Neons or something. I think I spend too much time here.

Rob - For the most part I try to steer clear of any flame wars you get into because I know arguing with you seems pretty useless. Besides, a lot of the time you are actually right. But the way you go about things just does not work well here and it makes it look like you are just looking for trouble. This thread is a great example of that. You've been here long enough to know that there is a large majority of fairly religious members here. So why do you have to take one phrase out of post and make a big deal out of disagreeing with it. I think everyone here is adult enough to understand that the story was not literally promoting religion of any kind, it was just talking about the things most important to each individual. For fairly religious folks, I think going to church would be ranked up there with family, etc. For others, maybe a bit lower. And some, not even on the chart. Okay and if we did want to take this story literally and say that "well the prof said, 'go to church' so it is jamming it down our throats..." Well which church is it saying we should go to? Christian? Hindu? Buddist? I sure didn't get a specific one out of that, but then again, I didn't read much into it other than I should have the top priorities in my life be my to priorities.
Okay, and then just to rub salt in the wound, again, knowing that a large number of our active members consider themselves Christians, you have to say you wish religion was illegal?? Now even if you truly believe that Communist idea, why do you feel the need to post that in a happy "feel-good" thread that is being read by a bunch of people you know will disagree with you.

I know you are getting attacked unfairly once in a while lately, but I'm beginning to suspect you really do just want to fight. If this is the case, please go elsewhere, I know there are message boards out there you could have a lot more fun with for that purpose. Go on one of those DSM boards or something where the kids already fight amongst themeselves, go in there and brag about your SVX or talk about Neons beating Eclipses or something. But if you truly do want to get along with us and learn more about your SVX and share your experiences, then please be more careful and get smart about how to treat these people. There will always be little arguments here and there among members, that happened long before you got here. But the conflict has never been repeated over and over again with one member always coming up as the one involved. So something is wrong with this picture. Okay, I'll leave it at that and say that I do respect your opinions, you just have to be more careful about posting is all.

Beav - I'm very sorry to interupt the thread like this, I did enjoy the story and will copy it to friends and family.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 12-23-2002, 06:14 PM
$VX

I enjoyed the story as well, and I wasn't trying to start a flame fest.

- Ca$h

PS: Religon has caused more violence than anything else in history... I mean.. even sept 11th had religous undertides, I'm just starting to think 'organized' religon just isn't a good idea. Spirituality is something else entirely, but you know the old saying: A person is smart, a group of people are dumb. Etc.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:14 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Beav

<That is, without a doubt, not the reason I posted it>

Most of us got the meaning just fine, and appreciated you posting it. Always feel free to do so; I enjoy reading things of that nature. Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 12-23-2002 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:21 PM
Ain't it the truth?

seaon?

There is another one for you to jump on Leslie!
-----------------------
Yes Colin, the "sort of thing" I like is a super-responsive car that sticks to tight sweeping turns like glue.

Or like Jean holds on to my paycheck.

Or something like that.. Don

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 12-23-2002 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:36 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

Re: Re: Re: Re: Don, I've been gone for a while and I never noticed before, but what on earth....

Quote:
Originally posted by montypython
seaon it nicely
Would you like to tell me about seaoning things?

-Don't blame me, Don said to.....
Old 12-23-2002, 07:27 PM
Ain't it the truth?

larry of the three "i's"

Have you noticed Leslie, that when some else makes a typo....Larry is nowhere to be seen?

But when yours truly makes a mistake....it's

KATEY BAR THE DOOR!

Of course, they don't live in West Virginia Leslie.

Larry has this THING about the Mountain State. He came to Canaan Valley one time, and is still telling his friends back in Delaware about how he barely made it back alive.....(visions of "Deliverance"....which was filmed in Georgia, by the way...)

Shoot, I haven't picked up a bow and arrow in years..... Don

---------------------------
Come on out Larry....I see you are browsing!

Last edited by SVXphile; 12-23-2002 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:42 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Re: larry of the three "i's"

Of course, they don't live in West Virginia Leslie.

Larry has this THING about the Mountain State. He came to Canaan Valley one time, and is still telling his friends back in Delaware about how he barely made it back alive.....(visions of "Deliverance"....which was filmed in Georgia, by the way...)

Shoot, I haven't picked up a bow and arrow in years..... Don

---------------------------

I've said it before & I'll say it again....

"Let's see how fast 'ewe kin drop them pants"!

Ron (slingin' arrows).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:28 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Many thanks for that, it brightened up my day

(My jar is full of rocks, and for that I can be nothing but happy)
Ah, my head is full of rocks. And for that, I can be . . . hmmm, what can I be? To be or not to be . . . two bees or not two bees . . . vitamin, be one . . .
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-24-2002, 10:06 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
On the cooking sherry already, Randy?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 12-24-2002, 10:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
PS: Religon has caused more violence than anything else in history... I mean.. even sept 11th had religous undertides, I'm just starting to think 'organized' religon just isn't a good idea. Spirituality is something else entirely, but you know the old saying: A person is smart, a group of people are dumb. Etc.
Finally, a ray of hope in an endless string of insulence. I've always described "Religion" as "man's corruption of God's original intent." God's intent was to have personal relationship with man. "Religion" has taken the original intent and added "doctrine" and "tradition." Granted, we are told to "not forsake the assembly" but, that doesn't have to be at 9 am on Sunday morning, 6 pm on Sunday evening or 7 pm on Wednesday. It can happen every day, any time we deem to assemble with people of like beliefs. "Church" was formed to give people places to go . . . it's a good thing - for sake of convenience. But, if you don't have the "relationship" it's a moot visitation.

I'm a devout Christian, but, I haven't "been to church" in a couple of years now. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm not a bible-beating zealot, and I get along with people of all (or no) faiths.

We actually agree on something: Spirituality and religion differ a great deal. I also believe that my belief in God does not make him any bigger, nor does someone's disbelief make him smaller (a popular misconception: if I don't believe in Him, and I can convince enough people not to believe, He'll go away.) He is, that he is.

Christianity is a "heart condition." It's not my place to cram my beliefs down people's throats, but, if you ask me, I'm happy to share my heart.

As for "a person being smart and a group of people being dumb," I think we can discount that immediately. I would feel sorry for the "smart" person who attempted to design the SVX by himself, and even sorrier for the one smart person who tried to assemble them. It takes groups of people to make "community." Now that you've made it clear that you consider the compilation of us here in the "First Church of the SVX" (a group of people) to be dumb, you have explained a lot. You see "you" (the smart person) and "us" (the group of people = dumb).

So, I suppose you won't be celebrating CHRISTmas.

Beav, great story. I've actually seen that object lesson in practice (although they used water, instead of beer.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-24-2002, 10:11 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
On the cooking sherry already, Randy?
Cooking sherry? My wife's name is spelled S-H-A-R-I, and she does most of the cooking.

Now, where's the Jamison's.
Subaru Ambassador