How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Solenoid C? ....or?

Hey guys,

Trying to get the SVX back on the road again before plunging into the serious stuff at a much later stage.

The history of my auto goes back to 10 years ago when I overhauled it along with my mechanic, everything was replaced by high quality aftermarket parts and used Castrol SuperSyn ATF fluid. since then the car saw only 10k miles on the road, shifts correctly, smoothly, with no issues whatsoever. The ATF is still brand new, no burn smells or anything.

Now a weird thing is happening: Upon morning startup, and putting "D" or "R" after 5 minutes, the car barely steers right or left and something feels sticky with the steering wheel.

After driving for a few mins, I come at a stop and put "N". The tranny disengages only after 3-4 seconds. Those symptoms disappear when the car is on its ideal driving temperature (right in the middle).

Am I facing the Solenoid C thing?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:28 PM

Re: Solenoid C? ....or?

Sol C won't cause this. Mine quite working when my ECU went bad and I didn't have any of the symptoms you describe. It's probably the power steering pump going bad or something to do with the hydrolic system.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

I thought it was the steering pump. But the thing with the tranny is weird. I am in "D", I put "N", after 3-4 seconds it disengages.

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:31 AM

Not wanting to state the obvious (but I'm going to anyway), have you checked power steer fluid level ?
It's something my franchise dealer didn't bother to check and caused problems for me.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Not the fluid, thanks for the suggestion tho.

I was discussing it with Trevor over emails, it seems it is a matter of diffs binding and not allowing the car to steer correctly.

In anyways, I have called Subaru over here, the Solenoid C costs $85, so I am gonna get it on Monday. Better replacing it than destroying my tranny for the time being.