Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Registered Abuser

Lifter/Flexplate noise??

Unfortunately, I have a sound that I need some help to diagnose, similar to Dynamic Entry. It sounds like a lifter, but seems like its coming from just below the throttle body. From the flexplate/TC region. It's actually more pronounced with the hood closed. It came on fairly quickly. I only have about 2K on my trans job. I checked to make sure that the fp/tc bolts aren't loose. I'm thinking cracked flexplate? It's a 2.2 FP and now it's dealing with another 100 lb/ft of tq, so maybe it didn't like that idea. I have a code for driver's side knock sensor. I replaced both of them, and I still have the same code. Maybe just detecting the noise? Well, here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/apkb17hnr6...oise%20002.MP4

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Steve
Old 11-07-2013, 06:13 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Lifter/Flexplate noise??

Sounds like a lifter to me

/T
Old 11-07-2013, 11:32 AM

use the long screwdriver trick to get more precise location -

place screwdriver tip on to area that you want to hear, then place hand around screwdriver handle - leaving thumb & first finger to cup near your ear.

(be very carefull when trying this near rotational items).
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Registered Abuser

I should add that I went after the lifter noise by seafoam, MMO, engine flush and oil change w/Lucas. None of it had any effect on the noise. I'm very surprised that the noise didn't change at all, if it is a lifter. I've had lifter noises on EJs before and this sounds a bit different. I've had no luck in the past with the screwdriver method. Standing on both sides of the motor, it sounds like its coming from under the TB. It really doesn't sound like it is from the heads.

It drives me nuts, as you can imagine. The car runs and drives awesome and is very smooth, apart from this issue. What's wierd, is that I can't even hear it from the driver's seat with all the windows closed. I want to get the ECU and TCU upgrades from Ecutune, but I have to get rid of the noise first. If I can't figure this out, I won't be spending another nickel on this car on anything else. This sucks. I'll see if I can find a cheap mechanic's stethoscope.

Last edited by elninoalex; 11-07-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Registered Abuser

I got a scope and the sound seems equally loud on both sides of the bellhousing. The sound is also present in the driver's side head, but not the passenger side head. So either a bad lifter in the cylinder closest to the driver, or a cracked flexplate or both?

It seemed somewhat intermittent at first. And now it is just constant and hasn't gotten any lounder. I've never had a lifter tick that remained unchanged while chemically treated. This noise showed up about 1500 miles ago, shortly after buying the car. So I figured maybe someone may have chemically masked a tick to me sell the car. So I tried the Lucas Oil Stabilizer, which I have had good luck with for ticking. The oil looked fine when I took it out, even after the Motor Medic engine flush I through in there for 7-8 minutes before dumping it. So I am still ???
Old 11-07-2013, 02:34 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Every time my flexplate cracked, the ticking was heard only on low RPM's. It would go away on higher idle. Hope this helps.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:30 AM
Registered Abuser

I'd like to get this get this thing quiet again, but the knock sensor code is more important. Does the knock sensor light the CEL when it detects knock? Or just when the sensor is bad or disconnected? I just replaced it, but I could have gotten another bad one.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:46 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

It lights only when there is a fault, not when it detects knock. Otherwise it would be flickering on and off constantly. It could be a bad connection or wiring issue too.

Last edited by Blacky; 11-09-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Registered Abuser

Thanks Blacky. I did manage to double check the wiring on the knock sensor in question and the contact pin was bent down. So I plugged it back in and now I only have an intermittent CEL. I have a brand new code 21 for Water temp sensor. Oh well.

Also, I got my scope back out and got underneath this time and the sound seems more evident to be coming from the driver's side head. It does sound just like so many cracked flexplate videos on youtube, but I'm pretty sure its a lifter now.

If you have no luck fixing the lifter tick with oil treatments and such, how do you fix it with the engine out and full access?
Old 11-09-2013, 09:19 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

A new water temp sensor is a cheap fix.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:14 AM

Registered SVX

Yeah deffently a lifter I had that problem on my last svx old oil caused it blow a rod Bering then I got another block but used the old head and it had that exact noise. I put that Lucas oil stabilizer in it and about 200 miles or so until it went away. And would only come back for a few miles if I didn't drive the car for a few days.
#1 1994 Ls ebony parts car-rip
#2 1994 L laguna blue - sold
#3 1992 Lsi pearl white - sold
#4 1992 Lsi pearl white -Ate two engines - Rip
#5 1994 L Laguna Blue fwd - Now Awd and manual - 03 wrx 5mt - 18's stern warp st4s - totaled hit a tree
#6 1992 Lsi custom orange parts car
#7 1992 Lsi green 4.44 swap. Currently for sale
#8 1992 Lsi custom pearl white. Project car... sold
#9 1992 Teal 4.44 swapped... sold
#10 1995 Laguna Blue. Sti 19 wheels,
#11 1994 Laguna Blue. Came with #10 engine and trans are out but plan to put it back on the road. Willing to sell it at any time! 😂
Old 11-11-2013, 07:47 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

I just heard the video and it sounds like the ticking I had when my flexplate was cracked. I experienced 3 cracked flexplates and that is the ticking I heard on every one. Seeing that you recently had your trans rebuilt....maybe it was overlooked? Good luck.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:06 AM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
I just heard the video and it sounds like the ticking I had when my flexplate was cracked. I experienced 3 cracked flexplates and that is the ticking I heard on every one. Seeing that you recently had your trans rebuilt....maybe it was overlooked? Good luck.
Thanks, I appreciate your input. I read your thread a couple times. I probably failed to mention that my sound is at all RPMs though, and I believe you mentioned yours was at idle.

Well, I can finally report some progress. I left the battery unplugged for 24 hrs and got the CEL to go out completely, for about 50 miles. And now I just get an intermittent 34 for EGR. I'm OK with that since its not using extra fuel as a result. Also, today my tick started to become intermittent. So that is certainly cause for joy as well. Also found a perfect bumper for my van at p-n-p for cheap and slapped that on in no time. It was a good day.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

When my flexplate cracked it was loudest at low RPMs, and not as audible at 3000 RPM.
2012 Camry V6 SE