SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Pi in the SVX

Hello all!

Seeing as I have a lot of projects going on, I finally got around to hard wiring my Raspberry Pi into the SVX. I have some plans for a particular application coming up in the future which is in something that anyone will be able to use on any operating system. Just thought you guys might appreciate a raspberry Pi computer being wired into the SVX. It actually looks pretty good for such a small screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130416_172020.jpg (965.3 KB, 579 views)

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 04-16-2013, 11:46 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Pi in the SVX

Cool. I had been kicking around the idea of building a serious car pc with a screen in the radio spot. For tuning the megasquirt. But a screen small enough to fit there would not be easy enough to see for tuning. And I have two laptops, and there is an android app (shadowdash) that can communicate with a megasquirt if you add a bluetooth module.

What are you thinking to do with yours?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Cool. I had been kicking around the idea of building a serious car pc with a screen in the radio spot. For tuning the megasquirt. But a screen small enough to fit there would not be easy enough to see for tuning. And I have two laptops, and there is an android app (shadowdash) that can communicate with a megasquirt if you add a bluetooth module.

What are you thinking to do with yours?
My end goal is to have an application that can communicate with the stock ECU and monitor parameters. I don't play on going as far as megasquirt but being able to read data would be nice without having to connect/disconnect anything. I have always liked the idea of a carputer but not the idea of the wiring/size taken up of it. The Pi, although not powerful, is small and powerful enough to handle what I want.

I have placed the pi under the dash in a discrete location. It is not visible from the outside and with the cover closed you cannot see the dvd player/screen. I thought about getting a separate monitor for the pi, but in the end due to keeping it stock looking and keeping sticky fingers away from my stuff I decided on a Dvd player with input.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 04-17-2013, 12:12 AM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
My end goal is to have an application that can communicate with the stock ECU and monitor parameters. I don't play on going as far as megasquirt but being able to read data would be nice without having to connect/disconnect anything. I have always liked the idea of a carputer but not the idea of the wiring/size taken up of it. The Pi, although not powerful, is small and powerful enough to handle what I want.
Very cool!
I'm just piecing together an HKS CAMP system to use for my engine management needs.
Programming is the biggest pain in the ass.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWindows View Post
Very cool!
I'm just piecing together an HKS CAMP system to use for my engine management needs.
Programming is the biggest pain in the ass.
I have a love for programming, currently pursuing CS degree. What language do you plan on programming in?

Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Time Travelling Robot

Way to black out ur pr0n folder in the pic jk
Old 04-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeedrobot View Post
Haha, its a project I am working on that will be announced later. I didn't want to jump the gun yet , as that folder is the name of the project.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:54 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

The project should be called operation awesome.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeedrobot View Post
Awesome!!!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 04:29 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I have a love for programming, currently pursuing CS degree. What language do you plan on programming in?
No programming required, although I'll probably be retrofitting some modern sensors to work with this system.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

Old 04-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWindows View Post
No programming required, although I'll probably be retrofitting some modern sensors to work with this system.
I am interested to see how far you get with that. Once you get things rolling I'd love to see a finished project!

Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I am interested to see how far you get with that. Once you get things rolling I'd love to see a finished project!
Yeah, I'll be installing all the extra sensors and stuff when I eventually turbocharge my motor.
Also have some pretty cool gauge ideas that I'll reveal once I get it worked out.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:47 AM

We have thought about a double DIN carputer for years but the final cost was always way too high. Now prices and the performance points have improved. For a stand alone starting point we are going to experiment with a Pi and/or miniITX as the main board and have also ordered a Hong Kong touch screen and case from ebay (230$ shipped express) at
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121058156106...84.m1439.l2649

The discussion thread at
http://www.mp3car.com/lcd-display/14...01-36-s-h.html
Is mostly positive in the later posts (after some bug fixes). Sadly resistive touch screen but appears very responsive.

Plan to run a Linux for fast boot (and for the Pi). However there are more drivers and hardware support under Windows.

What we want to tie in via USB
A GPS or via the bluetooth receiver
Tire pressure monitoring http://www.portalmediapc.com/tpms.html
WIFI
Bluetooth
A backup camera
A mechanical volume control
http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techno...N%3DB003VWU2WA
A USB FM tuner stick
and if we can the OBD 1 software being worked on by here by Wikedjuggalo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full2Din-1.jpg (111.7 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg Full2Din-2.jpg (105.8 KB, 318 views)

Last edited by gwynethh; 02-28-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-28-2014, 05:50 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynethh View Post
We have thought about a double DIN carputer for years but the final cost was always way too high. Now prices and the performance points have improved. For a stand alone starting point we are going to experiment with a Pi and/or miniITX as the main board and have also ordered a Hong Kong touch screen and case from ebay (230$ shipped express) at
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121058156106...84.m1439.l2649

The discussion thread at
http://www.mp3car.com/lcd-display/14...01-36-s-h.html
Is mostly positive in the later posts (after some bug fixes). Sadly resistive touch screen but appears very responsive.

Plan to run a Linux for fast boot (and for the Pi). However there are more drivers and hardware support under Windows.

What we want to tie in via USB
A GPS or via the bluetooth receiver
Tire pressure monitoring http://www.portalmediapc.com/tpms.html
WIFI
Bluetooth
A backup camera
A mechanical volume control
http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techno...N%3DB003VWU2WA
A USB FM tuner stick
and if we can the OBD 1 software being worked on by here by Wikedjuggalo.
Looks awesome. I will just note I was able to do my Pi for < 250. Including Pi purchase and double din unit. You do have the advantage of better performance if you can do a mini atx. I might want to go that route eventually. What drivers and support are you looking at that are not available in Linux? If you go mini atx you can probably get those programs to work via WINE (Wine is not another emulator ). I'll shoot you a pm.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Looks awesome. I will just note I was able to do my Pi for < 250. Including Pi purchase and double din unit. You do have the advantage of better performance if you can do a mini atx. I might want to go that route eventually. What drivers and support are you looking at that are not available in Linux? If you go mini atx you can probably get those programs to work via WINE (Wine is not another emulator ). I'll shoot you a pm.
The Windows front ends look more complete, the drivers for the FM radio and the TPMS were written for Windows and the manual volume control seems to have more options /ease of use under Windows. The AMD video drivers on the ITX board we picked up can have custom resolutions via Windows and a utility. BUT Linux is free and boots faster and I will learn more new stuff using it. So Linux first, Windows as a fall back.

Hardware should start arriving mid March. I will keep you all informed

Last edited by gwynethh; 03-01-2014 at 07:46 AM. Reason: fix typos