Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Interior Mods

Old 09-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Door speakers

I meant the two screws that hold in the rear deck, not the speaker screws.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I meant the two screws that hold in the rear deck, not the speaker screws.
I wasn't aware there were any screws. It just "pops" and slides out IIRC.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:44 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I wasn't aware there were any screws. It just "pops" and slides out IIRC.
No, there are 2 screws, one on each side, hidden behind the interior side panels.

And then it pops out.

Be careful when putting it back in, not to poke or tear the shiny new speakers with the clips at the back of the rear deck panel.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-16-2012, 02:57 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Trying to repace my rear speakers but I can't loosen the rear deck srews. I am putting my full body weight into the driver but the damn thing won't budge. Any suggestions?
I had the same problem with one of mine in my blue car. Eventually I accidentally broke the metal bracket off of the rear deck, and it was able to come out, but the screw never loosened. Try letting it soak in pb blaster. Can't hurt. Or you could drill it out and then put in a bigger screw.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 09-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I finally got it. I put the screwdriver in the screw and banged the crap out of it with a hammer to break the bond between the screw and the bracket.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
No, there are 2 screws, one on each side, hidden behind the interior side panels.

And then it pops out.

Be careful when putting it back in, not to poke or tear the shiny new speakers with the clips at the back of the rear deck panel.
Guess it's been awhile since I've taken one out.

Quote:
I finally got it. I put the screwdriver in the screw and banged the crap out of it with a hammer to break the bond between the screw and the bracket.
Impact screwdrivers work wonders and prevent stripping a screw
Old 09-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I have my own redneck version of an impact screwdriver. Screwdriver plus hammer plus my massive muscles equals impact screwdriver. The handle end takes a beating but it works!

Was it me or does this rear speaker replacement job suck bad?! Getting the seat cushion back in was a major PITA! My hand got sliced up by the brackets that hook onto the loops embedded in the seat.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:54 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I have my own redneck version of an impact screwdriver. Screwdriver plus hammer plus my massive muscles equals impact screwdriver. The handle end takes a beating but it works!

Was it me or does this rear speaker replacement job suck bad?! Getting the seat cushion back in was a major PITA! My hand got sliced up by the brackets that hook onto the loops embedded in the seat.
Yes it sucks. The rear speakers don't work at all in my 97 and I really don't plan to change them any time soon just because it's too much of a PITA.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:38 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yes it sucks. The rear speakers don't work at all in my 97 and I really don't plan to change them any time soon just because it's too much of a PITA.
I never found it to be that bad of a job, of course I have had the rear panel out 3 times for rear strut/suspension changes and I left the stupid screws out after the first time

That deck panel isnt going anywhere with the sides holding it in.
I also left out the screw on the floor, holding down the side panels as the clips hold it in very well.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
How does changing the head unit compare?

Old 09-18-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:

changing the rears is not THAT bad!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Also a pain, but probably less in your case because it hasn't been meddled with before. Be careful when tightening the screws that hold the head unit in, they screw into plastic which very often breaks. Also use one of svxdc's adapters.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Also a pain, but probably less in your case because it hasn't been meddled with before. Be careful when tightening the screws that hold the head unit in, they screw into plastic which very often breaks. Also use one of svxdc's adapters.
Hmmm, my radio is OK but the crappy cup holder is driving me crazy so I was thinking I could upgrade to a better, more sensitive receiver and install one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IN-DASH-CUP-...cd1227&vxp=mtr

Has anyone tried one of these and is it better to be above or below the radio? Above would probably block the radio but it would give room for the cup below it. Below the radio would open up the radio, avoid spilling onto the radio but I'm not sure if there would be enough room below it for the cup to set completely.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:33 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Hmmm, my radio is OK but the crappy cup holder is driving me crazy so I was thinking I could upgrade to a better, more sensitive receiver and install one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IN-DASH-CUP-...cd1227&vxp=mtr

Has anyone tried one of these and is it better to be above or below the radio? Above would probably block the radio but it would give room for the cup below it. Below the radio would open up the radio, avoid spilling onto the radio but I'm not sure if there would be enough room below it for the cup to set completely.
I highly doubt that the cup holder part that folds down will have room to open if you install it in the bottom slot.

There was a thread on these things, I cant seem to find it..
One of the guys wanted to know if it could be modified to make the cup holder slot above the tray slot, so It would have room to open, but the ebay guy said that he wouldn't test swapping the drawers because it might break.

Maybe the guy that started that thread knows what the thread was called and can post a link.

Quote:
Headunit is easy.. All you got to take out is the ashtry, then remove the black plastic bezel from the inside the flip down door, then unscrew it from the cage.

Wiring is not too bad either:
These wires (in my 92)

That blue wire that comes from my RCA wires, that goes into the red wire is the remote turn on for my amp:

All cleaned up:

Note*: I have an AMP running my mids and highs.. so I didn't need to use any the factory speaker leads.
Speaker wires:

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 09-18-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Went to do the front speakers today and discovered they had already been changed to Infinity Reference speakers. Pleasant surprise! They aren't great but not bad enough to change. I will put the money into a new head unit!