Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: Just ordered my new AMR Engineering Coilovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Keep us posted Danny. We will wait for your reviews. We are always interested in the projects you get involved in

Just might be worth shipping old struts over to you and having them rebuilt. There is a vast amount of automotive engineering and craftsmanship that is evident in the cars that have been modified in the Middle East.

John, my struts were already modified before installing the GC kit. Had them done almost 8 years ago, drove the car for like 2 years before storing it while abroad.

What I have done, is not just overhauling the struts, rather stiffening them. I can confidently confirm that my struts are at least 1.5x stiffer than the Koni inserts. I will try to make a video showing that.

The picture that you saw above with the modified top was done 8 years ago and not now. He had to remove the mechanism in order to cut out the bottom seat of the OEM coils and weld the GC ring. He simply replaced the rubber seals, the oils and put the strut back again.

Oh forgot to mention something, I had to buy locally some original BMW strut stoppers at a cost of $32 for all 4 corners:

Another modification I have done 8 years ago, was installing 1" strut adapters in the back to lift the car a little bit from behind:

Sorry for highjacking the thread

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:00 PM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by halistan View Post
He did make some extra parts for 1 (maybe 2) more sets of struts if anyone else wants one, but after those are gone any orders will have to wait for new parts to be manufactured. Just an FYI for anyone else that is looking for a set.
How much? I fell into a good chunk of money alongside my bigass paycheck yesterday, so if it's not too expensive I'm interested.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 12-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX

$1400 I believe. If you're interested I'd call him to verify though
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:20 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by halistan View Post
$1400 I believe. If you're interested I'd call him to verify though
Damn, I forgot I needed some rotors badly so I only have about $1000 left. I'll probably just buy some Megan's and modify them.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

Old 03-03-2013, 05:53 AM

Andy is waiting on the springs.
He ordered them on Thursday.
Scheduled to ship out this Thursday.
I could not be happier.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg stock vs AMR.jpg (351.1 KB, 390 views)
File Type: png coilover.png (859.7 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg coilover2.jpg (77.6 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg coilover3.jpg (71.4 KB, 403 views)

Last edited by steveherman; 03-03-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 AM

Registered SVX

Anyone get these yet?
The turn around time on these is worse then the ebay set.
I hope the fitment is perfect.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Anyone get these yet?
The turn around time on these is worse then the ebay set, but worth the wait. Specifically made for our cars, not adapted from something else.
I hope the fitment is perfect.

Ray "sunvalleyray" Whelan received his set and was absolutely overwhelmed my the quality and finish! He said they were almost too pretty to put on his car.

Andy at AMR assured everyone they were a perfect fit. He had 8 complete SVX strut assemblies at his disposal for his measurements.

Ray said the rears are almost 8 pounds lighter each! He would guess total weight loss is at least 30 pounds of unsprung weight. Didn't have front OEM to compare so he didn't know how much lighter new ones were.

Here are the photos he sent me. I am sure he wouldn't mind if I posted them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02873.jpg (313.5 KB, 793 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02874.JPG (201.4 KB, 823 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02875.JPG (262.0 KB, 816 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02876.JPG (236.5 KB, 797 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 03-14-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 PM

Registered SVX

My those are very good looking, I agree seems such a shame to put them under the car where they wont be seen.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I hope I never need them but if I do I will seriously consider these since they seem to be the only bolt in option beside the fail prone stock ones. Very nice to know the option exists.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 03-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Transmissions are covered.
Now struts are covered.

.Now if we could only get some decent windshields AND moldings, we could go on forever.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 03-14-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Thanks for posting the photos and info, I was just about to do it myself.

Ray
Old 03-18-2013, 05:13 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX

Just got notice this morning that mine have shipped. I had mine powder-coated red, so it took a little longer. They are due here Friday. After seeing these pics, I really can't wait!!

I'll post some pics when I get them if anyone wants to see what they look like in red.
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:32 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Questions: If a Koni insert fails, you can replace the insert and still keep the OEM strut housing, correct? But if these fail, you will need to replace the whole thing? Isn't the Koni's a cheaper alternative in the long run? Maybe another company will have inserts available in the future.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
Question: If a Koni insert fails, you can replace the insert and still keep the OEM strut housing, correct?
Ask svxfiles how long it takes to get a replacement insert.

Better yet, ask him how many times he has sent for Koni replacements, eventually had them shipped to him and had to return them until he found ones that worked. How many sets.

We're talking months here...

Last edited by svxcess; 03-20-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:22 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Ask svxfiles how long it takes to get a replacement insert.

Better yet, ask him how many times he has sent for Koni replacements, eventually had them shipped to him and had to return them until he found ones that worked. How many sets.

We're talking months here...

I thought Koni's were rebuildable?