Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2002, 09:23 PM
billisa

Question Keyless Remote sensitivity

Is there a way to turn up the sensitivity on the remote sensor in the car? Is there an antennae somewhere inside? Also, the batteries on my remote seem to drain pretty quickly. I'm using Radio Shack. Are there better ones out there? Thanks.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:40 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Keyless Remote sensitivity

Quote:
Originally posted by billisa
Is there a way to turn up the sensitivity on the remote sensor in the car? Is there an antennae somewhere inside? Also, the batteries on my remote seem to drain pretty quickly. I'm using Radio Shack. Are there better ones out there? Thanks.

I put a new GP27A battery I bought from "Batteries Plus" in the remote I bought from another member, about two years ago. It's still tickin'.

You can't "pump up" the remotes sensitivity, but, you could possibly extend the little wire antenna (I think Doug Mohr did this). If you have a 92/93, the antenna's on the unit behind the glove box. If you have a 94 or newer, it's beneath the rear parcel shelf, and accessible from the trunk, on the passenger's side. Just splice some more wire onto the antenna and run it into the fender well, or somewhere.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-19-2002, 10:49 AM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

If you carry the remote in your pocket, it's possible that there's enough pressure on the button(s) to activate the remote, which would drain the batteries pretty quickly. I've had my doors unlock while I was approaching the car with my keys still in my pocket. I gotta lay off those Twinkies. Try looser trousers, or keep the remote in your purse.

The '92 owner's manual says you get better performance from the remote if you hold the remote with the keys hanging down. On mine, the metal of the key ring actually contacts a small metal strip inside the casing - my theory is that letting the keys hang down is supposed to turn the ring and keys into an antenna and boosts the signal. However, given what I really know about radio signals, I could be all wet.

I also have the Batteries Plus batteries, which are still working great after 4 whole weeks. Not exactly a rigorous test.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 09-19-2002, 11:26 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I removed the alarm module and replaced the antenna with one exactly twice as long, then re-installed. It seems to help a little, but not a whole lot.

I use the Radio Shack brand GP27 and I can go for about two years on a battery.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 09-19-2002, 11:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Young
If you carry the remote in your pocket, it's possible that there's enough pressure on the button(s) to activate the remote, which would drain the batteries pretty quickly. I've had my doors unlock while I was approaching the car with my keys still in my pocket. I gotta lay off those Twinkies. Try looser trousers, or keep the remote in your purse.

The '92 owner's manual says you get better performance from the remote if you hold the remote with the keys hanging down. On mine, the metal of the key ring actually contacts a small metal strip inside the casing - my theory is that letting the keys hang down is supposed to turn the ring and keys into an antenna and boosts the signal. However, given what I really know about radio signals, I could be all wet.

I also have the Batteries Plus batteries, which are still working great after 4 whole weeks. Not exactly a rigorous test.

First, we now know that there is something good to come from the "Loose Fit" craze.

Secondly, not only does the metal of the key ring touch a small metal strip, there's a small black wire that goes to the circuit board that is (or should be) attached to that strip. You might check to see is that wire is still soldered to the metal strip.

Another trick many of us have tried (and have looked like fools doing it, but it works), is, with the keys dangling, touch the butt end of the remote to your chin. It actually extends the range of the remote. I know, I know, but you should have seen about five of us, standing in the parking lot of the Morgantown Holiday Inn, at Reading II, walking across the parking lot with keys dangling from our chins. So, the method has been tried, tested and proven.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-19-2002, 11:56 AM

I tried getting the large battery which replaced the 8 small batteries from Radio Shack but was told that it had been discontinued (~ 2 months ago). Is there another source for the large one or are you all buying the small ones?
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:12 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mattski
I tried getting the large battery which replaced the 8 small batteries from Radio Shack but was told that it had been discontinued (~ 2 months ago). Is there another source for the large one or are you all buying the small ones?
My wife just bought the GP27A's from a Radio Shack two weeks ago, with no mention of them being discontinued. She bought two, two-packs, as a matter of fact. Again, "Batteries Plus" has the GP27A's also. These are a single (about the size of a AA - but shorter) battery, not the "stack of buttons" that come with the unit.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-19-2002, 12:19 PM

Randy, thanks very much. I guess I was dealing with a battery "expert" that knew as much as some of the other "experts" we run into. Luckily, instead of buying 16 (two remotes) watch batteries @ $3/each, I bought 36 of them on Ebay for $6.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:25 PM

Registered SVX
My grandpa's definition of an "Expert" (did I mention that I thought my grandpa was cool ) "An "ex" is a has-been, and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure. Why in the world would anybody wanna call themselves an 'ex-spurt'?"
Subaru Ambassador