Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-15-2012, 08:59 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: 4EAT failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
An XT6 is something I know pretty well inside and out and can work on pretty adeptly for most things... they're also VERY reliable - even for their age.
If you can fix an XT6 you can fix an SVX. I was thinking you are mechanically inept all around. If you can fix cars, then fix the car, man.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 PM

Wow - I appreciate all the offers, folks!

Dave, no, I don't see a PM. Was it an e-mail maybe? (haven't been on my work e-mail all weekend - for once!) Let me know a price on the rear diff... I'll talk it over with Maureen and see what she thinks of the idea of spending more money on the car. It's a catch 22 thing - if I spend more money on it, well, I've spent more money on it , but if I sell it I might be able to buy an XT in pretty nice condition... that might have its own set of problems.

Anyway - give me a price and I'll add it to the mix of what's being proposed here...

Nate - crazy nice of you to offer!!! Who knows, maybe if this looks like a real possibility then I could get 92SVX to come over too and we could have a mini-meet. "Mini-meet" would gain a new definition, however, of "fixing Austin's car".

I'll start trying to source things again then. I had pretty much written the car off, but I guess if I get an Outback tranny w/ 4.44s I'm back in the game. I just can't be sinking too much more money into it. If I can somehow find a tranny that cheap (re: Stevesby's post) then I might very much be back in the game.

My big problem is when I'm sourcing trannies online (and, btw, you probably all know this, but never Google "tranny" - always use "transmission" ), I see all sorts of different ones. What years/models are right for the swap? I thought it was any of the 2nd gen Outback/Legacy trannies but apparently that's not really the case. Something's telling me that someone (Huck maybe?) said to use a '98 Outback version. Is that the best one to look for?

Thanks again, everybody, for being willing to try to keep me in the game. As I said several times before, I've always wanted an SVX and I'd love to keep this one, but given my limited funds and abilities I am at a real decision point with the car. Like I say though, I'll show some of this thread to my wife and see what she thinks - it's a budget issue.

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)
Old 03-19-2012, 05:16 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Austin, Has to be a 98 or older Transmission, can be Impreza, Legacy, or Forester, the Forester, and Legacy GT and Legacy Outback have the 4.44's

Can't have a screw-on filter on the drivers side of the transmission or it's the newer one and won't work (without modifications) with the SVX TCU.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-19-2012, 08:16 AM

Okay, THAT's what I got hung on '98 from... '98 or older. No screw on filter on driver's side as well - got it.

Okay so I'm looking for a pre-'99 Outback, Leg GT, or Forester to get my ideal tranny/4.44 setup. got it. Thanks again.

I've seen/heard a couple of folks mention getting used trannies for $250 or so. Is there a site anyone would recommend for sourcing this unicorn? I've been looking at this one, but I'm not seeing any $250 trannies - most are in the $600 range. Surely this isn't something I'd buy from a place like Autozone or Rock Auto, right?

Sorry for being such a dunce on this whole thing (being a dunce sounds like it's what got me in this transmission situation in the first place). I'll learn eventually.

Last edited by Austin; 03-19-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Quote:
Okay, THAT's what I got hung on '98 from... '98 or older. No screw on filter on driver's side as well - got it.

Okay so I'm looking for a pre-'99 Outback, Leg GT, or Forester to get my ideal tranny/4.44 setup. got it. Thanks again.

Sorry for being such a dunce on this whole thing (being a dunce sounds like it's what got me in this transmission situation in the first place). I'll learn eventually.

That's what we're here for.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:35 AM

Registered SVX

I would be happy to help you get that back on the road. And ya I never thought about googling tranny, glad I didnt
Old 03-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy

I got mine on ebay from some place in new england.

In fact I would be willing to make you a heck of a deal on my trans/diff once I can gather the $$ for a 6MT swap, which, depending on some things, could be fairly soon...but this may be a few months...

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 PM

Registered SVX

Pick n pull type yards are your best bet if you want a trans cheap.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:20 AM

Austin, did you check with that U-Pull yard we got that Crank Pulley from for a Transmission?
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 03-20-2012, 05:41 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

$500-$600 is about what you will pay if you buy one from a yard that has already removed it from the car. They will typically give a 45 guarantee on it.

As stated earlier if you want to cut that price in half, find one at a pick and pull and do the work to remove it. For me, never having done it before and having no friends around who could help... it was worth the extra money.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007

Last edited by Sean486; 03-20-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
Austin, did you check with that U-Pull yard we got that Crank Pulley from for a Transmission?

Yeah, they have a couple of candidate cars:
http://www.acepickapart.com/locator....&model=IMPREZA
http://www.acepickapart.com/locator....model=FORESTER
http://www.acepickapart.com/locator....U&model=LEGACY

Hard to tell if they still have their drivetrain components or if they're even AWD or not. They won't discuss particular cars on the phone either. I can probably take a "field trip" up there this weekend or something. Even though they're in the city limits and all, they're still about 45 minutes away one way so a trip during the workweek won't work for me. Chances are any of those pre-'99 models will be AWD and once I look underneath and see a rear diff that'll confirm it

There's another junkyard I like to go to, but it's 50 miles away in basically the opposite direction (towards Gainesville), and their website is basically something somebody started and never finished so you can't really look anything up. There is a link to order parts if you look for it, but that takes you to an external parts database site and you're back to the $500-$600 already pulled trannies.

That's about it for the U-pull-it type of junkyards. There might be others (after a while it get's confusing), in fact I think there is at least one other, but there's no website with any type of inventory listed. Virtually all of them are "pre-pulled" type of parts places.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:38 AM

Too bad a 4EAT from an XT6 won't work - I've got a professionally rebuilt one sitting in my garage.

(oops, replied to my own post - meant to do an edit, can't see a "delete post" button - sorry)

Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 AM

The 98 Forester would be my pick of the bunch,
$150 + 25 core sounds good to me

I don't see a price for the rear diff, but probably another $50.

You Might be able to get "92 SVX" to come help you pull it....if I had some time off, I'd run down to help out.

(they have a grey 91 XT listed too...)
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed

Last edited by huck369; 03-20-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Too bad a 4EAT from an XT6 won't work - I've got a professionally rebuilt one sitting in my garage.
Has anyone told you it wouldn't work? I wonder if maybe it will. Maybe one of the trans gurus will chime in.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Has anyone told you it wouldn't work? I wonder if maybe it will. Maybe one of the trans gurus will chime in.
Different bell housing....and it's a FWD transmission....Although the guts are the same, but it would cost more to try to piece one together out of the 2 than a used trans will cost.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed