Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 09-10-2002, 05:28 PM
Financial Contributing Supporter
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Hi Joe,

You do lighten up my morning.

I was confused by the "Up Over" description. James has mentioned you, but from my point of view I see so many names on this board, and not having chatted much, I forget. I am better with faces.

The 4ws were not sold in Australia. I believe from James there is one in Sydney (Hornsby or somewhere like that).

In Sydney we get enough looks at the SVX (very few here). You must be embarrased driving it (you would get even more attention !). It is just part of the satisfaction of owning the car.

What year is yours, any transmission problems ?

James recently told me I was one of the few '92 that have an original tranny...

Regards,

Blake
Old 09-10-2002, 05:30 PM

VK,

I've had about 20 different addresses in my 50 years and can't remember a single move I regret. That isn't to say I always did better each time, but I always did grow and change. Once some years back I was in Scotland and met this wonderful older lady who had never traveled farther than 25 miles from the home in which she was born. Now she was bright and kind, but she also had a limited horizon if you know what I mean. If Australia is causing you to pause, why not jump over to Vancover, you'd be closer to AU, and you would still have a change in scenery and culture (plus you could keep the SVX for awhile longer ).

As to the safety net...it may be harder to cast it out to rescue you in AU, but as a parent of four I have to say I'd make a throw of the net in times of need no matter how far my kids had strayed. Of course I once told my oldest boy he had to leave the house, for a road trip if nothing else. The guy had never been more than a hundred miles from wherever his mother and I lived. FYI, his mother thinks I'm crazy (she's right) - I bet your dad would approve if your mom isn't within earshot.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Hey Blake...glad to see you made it on here! Neill's 4ws car is in my locker, from the spontaneous meet-up on Saturday.

With the transmission mounts, the car is going in to be checked on Friday (I get a Forester or Outback as a loaner so rest assured it will be P-D-R-D-P-R all day to see what it does!!)

The fellow at Penrith said that he services 6 or so SVX's so another pool of fellow owners and also that the mounts on the SVX were quite soft and he would not be surprised that they would need replacing. He was very very curious as to what you did with the filter!!

Anyways, back to the topic, perhaps come down for a holiday and check out things???

Regards

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 09-10-2002, 05:50 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Trannysylvania

Quote:
Originally posted by moyadon
Hi Joe,

You do lighten up my morning.

I was confused by the "Up Over" description. James has mentioned you, but from my point of view I see so many names on this board, and not having chatted much, I forget. I am better with faces.

The 4ws were not sold in Australia. I believe from James there is one in Sydney (Hornsby or somewhere like that).

In Sydney we get enough looks at the SVX (very few here). You must be embarrased driving it (you would get even more attention !). It is just part of the satisfaction of owning the car.

What year is yours, any transmission problems ?

James recently told me I was one of the few '92 that have an original tranny...

Regards,

Blake
Mine is actually Dec '91. It had 83k kilometres on it when I bought it ex Japan. I should have had an engineer check it, the tranny was stuck in third. I bought a '96 tranny, and put the innards of it in the '91 carcase, mainly to suit the wiring to the speedo and ecu. However, that is also giving trouble, I currently have only first and third.

I have however, put a lot of miles on it. The car is lovely to drive, but the bad rear bearing is crying out for attention. A few service items like this have to be done in the next month, the car is due the government test in December.

If I ever change it, it would be for something with more room, like a BMW 5 series. Nothing comes near it for body control and handling, particularly in the wet. Maybe a BMW M5, but they're crazy money.

There is a new Audi A8 coming out that has all my attention. By the time my second SVX is worn out, one of them would be in my range.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-10-2002, 05:52 PM

Hi James,

So it is the transmission mounts...

I will be interested to see if there is any difference with yours.

Are you likely to be servicing your at the Penrith dealership ( why that one ? )

What did he say would be involved in the transmission mount replacement (big job or little) and did he estimate a cost ?

Regards,

Blake
Old 09-10-2002, 06:07 PM

Hi again Joe,

You have some big ticket purchasing to do !!!!

The Euro cars are very expensive here. The A8 starts at about AUD 170,000. The M5 about the came...

In talking to James and other SVX owners< I am starting to think I am indeed fortunate with the tranny.

Since new I have.

Changed the auto ATF about every 20,000 km
after run in (10,000) I have used Nulon (a teflon additive like Slick 50, a US product)
at about 60,000 had a tranny cooler fitted.
at about 70,000 fitted a supplementary oil filter for the tranny.

I haven't had one complaint from the transmission. Except a bit of oil leaking from the pan, very hard to seal. I use "Permatex" on either side of the gasket and that seems to work.

Re new cars... the SVX will do me for a good while yet ! ( I can't afford the depreciation on the good cars...

I do admire a '2' SVX family...

Regards,

Blake
Old 09-10-2002, 07:22 PM

Blake.

A high likelihood that the mounts/rear diff mounts (as Paddlesnz mentioned to me) so it should be ok - he said that the mounts are about $110AU each so depending on how many need to be be done - the good thing is that the tranny does not have to come out to have them replaced so the labour should be lower. However, the most recent inspections in my records from the previous owner indicate that the mounts were checked - I suspect that it was a standard entry of things done for the service and may not have actually been properly checked.

The reason Penrith is that I am in Campbelltown for work at the moment and so it is easier - drop the car off at 7.30am, get the Outback or B4 (please please please!! - joking of course, I get a new car as a loaner but not a B4!) drive to Campbelltown and then that afternoon, pick it up...and drive the bejessus out of it through the National Park at Marayla!!! Also, the head tech guy there was trained on the SVX's and seems to know his stuff - he said that he'll drive it and could tell within moments where the fault lay. He said that if the mounts, the transmission would rise up a bit on upshift/downshift and therein lies the thunk.

I had to overtake a truck today on the freeway coming to work and cringed as I flattened it with the inevitable thunk....arrrrgggg

Transmission mounts, tranny coolers....I've joined the wallet burning club!!!

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 09-10-2002, 07:31 PM

Hi James,

The thing to remember is that these are one offs, not regular things, and the mounts will be newer than the ones in a '96 or '97 that would have cost $7,000 more. The mounts do not require and major component removal ? Sounds like a job for Super Blake ! (Ha Ha).

It will still work out a cheap car (and mint) after your improvements to it...

Regards,

Blake
Old 09-10-2002, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Hi James,

The thing to remember is that these are one offs, not regular things, and the mounts will be newer than the ones in a '96 or '97 that would have cost $7,000 more. The mounts do not require and major component removal ? Sounds like a job for Super Blake ! (Ha Ha).

It will still work out a cheap car (and mint) after your improvements to it...

Regards,

Blake
I'll be at your front door with a set of transmission mounts, a jack and a bottle of wine as a pressie!

Can you have it ready by 6pm? Thanks

Old 09-10-2002, 08:35 PM

Hi James,

I had a look in my new workshop manual about the mounts. I think you are talking about the rear diff mount ? Anyway, looking interesting, I will have to go and look under the car.

Re ready by 6 p.m., not a problem, the wine will be open by 6 p.m. ...

Regards,

Blake
Old 09-10-2002, 08:56 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Sept 11

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Hi Blake

It's just 10 minutes or so into the day here.

I confused you a bit with my Up Over description. I am Irish, like James.

Joe
<i am iresh like James<

Well that does explain a lot.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:35 PM

Re: Re: Sept 11

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

<i am iresh like James<

Harvey.
Thanks for that Harvey!! Our exceptional taste in cars, wit, charm, and passion for little creatures living under rainbows cradling pots of gold marked "4-EAT Funds"

*grabs a bag and a length of exhaust manifold to sneak up on the gold-cradling tightwad*

Old 09-11-2002, 01:38 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Sept 11

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

<i am iresh like James<

Harvey.
Taken out of context, Harvey, but I catch your drift.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-11-2002, 08:59 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Blake,

That about describes Canada too (Medicare, tax, weak dollar).

Life's 4 basics: Food, shelter, clothing, transport. I think the last 3 I've clued in on the cost by visiting various web sites. But I think food costs concerns me, as as well everyday "consumables". We've been lucky in Canada to have extremely low food costs. Average family spends 11% of income on food. Typical food costs are about 1/2 to 2/3 of the United States, though they do have a higher income.

Oh, another thing. I am an Aussie national, but if I come down my girlfriend/fiance will be coming with me at some point, and from what I've researched, she can get a temporary VISA, and have to wait 2 years before qualifying a permanent VISA. She's interested in going back to school for Nursing, which she will have to pay international student rates, but with a temporary VISA, would she be qualified to work?

Lee,

Vancouver's worse than Toronto in terms of job opportunities and living costs. Besides, if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right.

Thx much all for the info.

VK

Quote:
Food costs are fine. We are the lucky country here. Insurance costs are ok. Imported manufactures are a little more expensive relative to our pay. Designer stuff we pay more for reflecting the week Australian dollar. Very important... we do not received a tax deduction for our mortgage payments. The family suffers compared to the US treatment (I don't know about Canada tax treatment). Catipal gains on your occupied home are tax free. Silly businessy things to mention. But we are quite different in these areas. Health costs are cheaper too.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:55 PM

Dear Vk,

Sounds like you are a long way down the track when it comes to research. Probably the only thing I would add is that in nursing I know NSW is very short of nurses. I think our nurses like to travel to England to work there, or something like that. I am not sure if nursing pay rates are too high here (that might explain the shortages) however I believe that it is easy to work as an 'agency nurse', like temping to the hospitals, where the rates are better.

Just a few extra thoughts,

regards,

Blake

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: