Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2011, 11:39 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Oil Filter delisted

The top rated filter is the Fram Extended Guard, XG3593A.

Check it out:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...gradesheet.htm
Old 08-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromano View Post
The top rated filter is the Fram Extended Guard, XG3593A.

Check it out:
www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilter/gradesheet.htm
Yes but it doesn't come in the larger size and the flow restriction is very high in those filters.

http://filtrationcomparisons.weebly....nclusions.html

The Bosch Premium is identical to the Purolator PureOne AND we can get it in the larger size. It filters better (depending on the test source) than the Fram and it flows better. I trust the results of this source more than the guy on the GM Truck site. I just like his methodology better.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 08-20-2011, 01:13 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Yes but it doesn't come in the larger size and the flow restriction is very high in those filters.

http://filtrationcomparisons.weebly....nclusions.html

The Bosch Premium is identical to the Purolator PureOne AND we can get it in the larger size. It filters better (depending on the test source) than the Fram and it flows better. I trust the results of this source more than the guy on the GM Truck site. I just like his methodology better.
Good points, I'm just hooked on the extended mileage the XG Fram filters provide.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Good points, I'm just hooked on the extended mileage the XG Fram filters provide.
I have often wondered about the extended mileage claims. Any filter will have increased flow resistance with time as they get clogged with contaminants. Some filters appear to have flow resistance that increases linerally with time while others take off exponentially. Maybe theirs has a linear increase of flow resistance.

Another way to extend the time a filter can be used is to use a larger filter. I don't know what type of curve the Purolator, K&N and Bosch Premium filters exhibit in terms of resistance over time but they are 60% larger so, bam, you get 60% longer life until the filter reaches a given threshold of flow resistance. I'm not sure what the appropriate threshold is or how long it takes each filter to get there but I do know that Bosch Premium (Purolator PureOne) is a super high efficiency filter that will keep even small particles out of our tight engine passages. And since I can get it 60% larger, I can go 60% longer between oil changes, assuming my oil is good enough to keep its lubricity in the presence of other combustion by-products over that extra 60% of mileage/time.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 08-20-2011, 02:57 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I have often wondered about the extended mileage claims. Any filter will have increased flow resistance with time as they get clogged with contaminants. Some filters appear to have flow resistance that increases linerally with time while others take off exponentially. Maybe theirs has a linear increase of flow resistance.

Another way to extend the time a filter can be used is to use a larger filter. I don't know what type of curve the Purolator, K&N and Bosch Premium filters exhibit in terms of resistance over time but they are 60% larger so, bam, you get 60% longer life until the filter reaches a given threshold of flow resistance. I'm not sure what the appropriate threshold is or how long it takes each filter to get there but I do know that Bosch Premium (Purolator PureOne) is a super high efficiency filter that will keep even small particles out of our tight engine passages. And since I can get it 60% larger, I can go 60% longer between oil changes, assuming my oil is good enough to keep its lubricity in the presence of other combustion by-products over that extra 60% of mileage/time.
The larger size is appealing. I've been using the Fram XG for 10 years without issues, I change oil & Filter at 7000 miles I run Royal Purple synthetic which didn't do very well on the Motor Oil Evaluator.com
Old 08-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
The larger size is appealing. I've been using the Fram XG for 10 years without issues, I change oil & Filter at 7000 miles I run Royal Purple synthetic which didn't do very well on the Motor Oil Evaluator.com
Yeah, 7000 miles probably isn't that bad for a regular sized filter unless you drive in very dusty conditions. And, even then, a good air filter can limit what ends up in the oil. Personally, I want the most efficient filters possible. For this car that is the AC Delco air filter and the Bosch Premium oil filter. Given the larger size, I am comfortable going longer between changes, as you are with the XG.

I hear you on the RP oil. Redline and Amsoil rate out better. It really depends on your driving style and conditions. For hard driving, Redline is probably the way to go. For high temp, we recently had discussions about various 5W40 options available, including Redline and Amsoil as well as Mobil 1. Mobil 1 makes a high mileage oil, which appeals to me. I don't like leaky seals. And I don't drive in super high temperatures to often so I don't really need a 40 weight oil. So I am now going with 5W30 M1 high mileage. You sound like you have most of the relevant links to pull information from.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:41 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yeah, 7000 miles probably isn't that bad for a regular sized filter unless you drive in very dusty conditions. And, even then, a good air filter can limit what ends up in the oil. Personally, I want the most efficient filters possible. For this car that is the AC Delco air filter and the Bosch Premium oil filter. Given the larger size, I am comfortable going longer between changes, as you are with the XG.

I hear you on the RP oil. Redline and Amsoil rate out better. It really depends on your driving style and conditions. For hard driving, Redline is probably the way to go. For high temp, we recently had discussions about various 5W40 options available, including Redline and Amsoil as well as Mobil 1. Mobil 1 makes a high mileage oil, which appeals to me. I don't like leaky seals. And I don't drive in super high temperatures to often so I don't really need a 40 weight oil. So I am now going with 5W30 M1 high mileage. You sound like you have most of the relevant links to pull information from.
I have enough Royal Purple on hand for 2 more oil changes then I think I will shop for a 5 qt container at Walmart of a good rated synthetic. I've been using 5w30, probably should switch to 5w40 for the desert heat, 4 months of 100 degree days.

I have two 30k gvw Hadden stack coolers between the radiator and the condenser, with one the ATF temp would run 100 degrees over ambient on 100 degree days, after adding the second it stays at 160 or lower. I'm still on the original tranny, no overhauls, run Royal Purple syn in there too.

I've had a K&N air filter about 10 years, when I clean it, for sure it stops dirt.

Dave
Old 08-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
I have enough Royal Purple on hand for 2 more oil changes then I think I will shop for a 5 qt container at Walmart of a good rated synthetic. I've been using 5w30, probably should switch to 5w40 for the desert heat, 4 months of 100 degree days.

I have two 30k gvw Hadden stack coolers between the radiator and the condenser, with one the ATF temp would run 100 degrees over ambient on 100 degree days, after adding the second it stays at 160 or lower. I'm still on the original tranny, no overhauls, run Royal Purple syn in there too.

I've had a K&N air filter about 10 years, when I clean it, for sure it stops dirt.

Dave
Sure, every filter stops dirt. It just comes down to how high of a percentage at a given size and/or how small of a particle is filtered at a given percentage. Here is a study on that for you:

http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrol...r-testing.html

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 08-20-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Sure, every filter stops dirt. It just comes down to how high of a percentage at a given size and/or how small of a particle is filtered at a given percentage. Here is a study on that for you:

That link came up with "page not found" I use the latest version of Firefox 3.x
Old 08-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Try it now. I think I fixed it.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Great job Tony!

Works like a dream now!!!

Keith
Old 08-20-2011, 09:13 PM

Registered SVX

anyone ever use the stp6941 filter?
it is larger I believe it has the anti drain back valve too.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:54 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Still wouldn't work. I went to the web site, I think I found the data placing K&N in last place at

Here's what your post looks like on my computer:

I don't have a clue why.

Anyone know why the link would show up different than sent?

Tony, do you think the air restriction in the AC filter reduces mpg?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:09 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Still wouldn't work. I went to the web site, I think I found the data placing K&N in last place at

www.dieselbombers.com/chevrolet-diesel-tech-articles/16611-duramax-air-filter-testing.html

Here's what your post looks like on my computer:

I don't have a clue why.

Anyone know why the link would show up different than sent?

Tony, do you think the air restriction in the AC filter reduces mpg?
There is no way to know for sure without hard data but I doubt it is significant. These are used as OEM in Corvettes and I doubt they would want the air restriction to significantly impact HP or MPG. It has to have SOME impact as flow is clearly restricted a little. But if this element is a small fraction of the overall system air restriction, it would be negligible. Also, at some point in time, its air restriction becomes less than those filters whose restrictions grow exponentially. So, it only has more air restriction when comparing new filter to new filter.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:13 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
There is no way to know for sure without hard data but I doubt it is significant. These are used as OEM in Corvettes and I doubt they would want the air restriction to significantly impact HP or MPG. It has to have SOME impact as flow is clearly restricted a little. But if this element is a small fraction of the overall system air restriction, it would be negligible. Also, at some point in time, its air restriction becomes less than those filters whose restrictions grow exponentially. So, it only has more air restriction when comparing new filter to new filter.
Seems reasonable that the MAF & the ECU would maintain the proper mixture.

Perhaps the K&N is coming out for an AC.