Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 PM

Power Light?

I am new to subaru and was wondering what this light means?
and also another question these cars need to run on 91 octane gas right?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:12 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Power Light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling92SVX View Post
I am new to subaru and was wondering what this light means?
and also another question these cars need to run on 91 octane gas right?
The power light tells you when the transmission is in "sporty" mode, its is an automatic thing that adjusts shift points based on throttle position and other factors.
It also will blink 16 times when you first start the car if there is a problem with the transmission.
It lets you know you need to run the diagnostic and check for codes.
These cars are made to run on the highest premium gas available, some areas that is 93 octane others that is 91.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:18 PM

ok ill keep that in mind and thanks for the power mode info i just searched it also
the previous owner has 89 in the car now it seem to have gave it a slight tap in the engine.. :/
Old 04-25-2011, 07:23 PM

Registered SVX

Our motors are prone to lifter tick, especially when cold. If it is a light tap and goes away for the most part when the engine is warm and has seen high rpm's, I would not worry about it.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 04-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

The 'Power' light comes on when the transmission decides to use the higher-range shift map in the transmission control unit (TCU). This map allows the engine to run at a higher speed before shifting and allows the torque converter to slip, resulting in more torque to the wheels for a given gear.

Power mode is engaged when the TCU senses throttle opening quickly. It also takes into account the current vehicle speed. The faster you're going and the faster you press the accelerator, the easier it is to engage the 'Power' mode. At slower speeds you have to really mash the accelerator down, HARD and FAST.

When you do this the 'Power" light will illuminate and you will feel the difference.

If the Power light blinks 16 times on start up, it tells you there is a transmission problem. A lot of your questions, including decoding the flashing power light, can be answered by checking out the FAQ page HERE

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Our motors are prone to lifter tick, especially when cold. If it is a light tap and goes away for the most part when the engine is warm and has seen high rpm's, I would not worry about it.
yea i get it at low rpm when i first start the car at idle
Old 05-02-2011, 01:47 PM

my 92 svx power light does not come even when i press the accelerator really hard. does changing my transmission will solve the problem?

*my power mode light only comes when i start the engine, then it disappears.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastysvx92 View Post
my 92 svx power light does not come even when i press the accelerator really hard. does changing my transmission will solve the problem?

*my power mode light only comes when i start the engine, then it disappears.
Try stomping it. I normally stomp, let off, then stomp again
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 05-02-2011, 03:24 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

The key to getting power mode to come on is to press the gas pedal quickly. You don't actually have to floor it even. It's kinda counterintuitive because usually when you floor it, you gradually press down the pedal. It also comes on easier at low speeds than higher speeds (or maybe vice-versa; I forget ).

So a quick stomp should do it. It'll just turn off again in a few seconds if you don't stay on the gas. Power mode mod FTW.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Registered SVX

Before I installed a power mode switch.

If I wanted power mode, I tap the pedal quickly twice.
Like tapping then holding the button an old video game to use nitro.
I tap it quick, then quickly tap it again and hold.
Its not about how far down the pedal goes, its about how quickly you jab the gas pedal.

Using this double tap method, I could put it in power mode when just cruising at like 2k rpm and stay in it until I let off the pedal.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Before I installed a power mode switch.

If I wanted power mode, I tap the pedal quickly twice.
Like tapping then holding the button an old video game to use nitro.
I tap it quick, then quickly tap it again and hold.
Its not about how far down the pedal goes, its about how quickly you jab the gas pedal.

Using this double tap method, I could put it in power mode when just cruising at like 2k rpm and stay in it until I let off the pedal.
I have had my car since August and still haven't seen the power light come on. I will try this trick just to see what it is like.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I have had my car since August and still haven't seen the power light come on. I will try this trick just to see what it is like.
Does the 96 have the power light?
I know it has power mode, but they took the light out for 96-97 models I thought.
When you turn the key on first thing is there a green power light come on then go back off?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:19 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Yea, the '96, being OBDII, won't have a power light, but will still have power mode.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-03-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Try stomping it. I normally stomp, let off, then stomp again
I already try doing that and it doesn't work, and even when i accelerate my rpms does not shift all the way up, it only goes up to 4000 rpm at most.

i will be replacing my transmission soon, can anybody confirm if this is going to solve the problem?, thanks !
Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 PM

Registered SVX

I do not believe that would solve your no peer mode issue. Maybe if you replaced the tcu...

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted