Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Passenger side oil leak

So my bone dry engine compartment is suddenly no longer bone dry. I have a little pool of fluid on top of the underside protective engine cover on the passenger side. The fluid is also coating the passenger side suspension components and the lower control arm in particular. I don't see a lot of fluid under the power steering reservoir but I suppose that o-ring could be leaking. It is difficult to see the color of the fluid at this point. It looks a little darker than when my PS fluid was leaking. My dip stick is still popping up (never got around to replacing the o-ring) so I suppose oil could be getting pushed out.

Thoughts?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 12-20-2010, 12:56 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Passenger side oil leak

you could use a tissue or a napkin to wipe some of it up so you can see the color of it a bit easier
Old 12-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aust92pearl View Post
you could use a tissue or a napkin to wipe some of it up so you can see the color of it a bit easier
I got a little better look at it and it does look like engine oil. Could the passenger side valve cover gasket be leaking that much? I recently ran some FI cleaner with upper cylinder lube in a full tank of gas. The fuel to air ratio was still running high many weeks after replacing the O2 sensor so I thought maybe one of the injectors was a little clogged. Maybe it cleaned off the valve cover gaskets and exposed a leak?

I looked at the area under where the plastic air intake connects to the intake manifold and that was very clean. I'm less inclined to think this is a PCV issue but maybe the oil is being pushed out somewhere else.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 12-20-2010, 02:04 PM

Registered SVX

Maybe from one of the cam seals. It tends to drip out from under the belt cover onto the shield. Mine did anyway till I replaced them. I suppose it could be the cam cover o-ring too. Clean the area and see if you can locate it. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyo View Post
Maybe from one of the cam seals. It tends to drip out from under the belt cover onto the shield. Mine did anyway till I replaced them. I suppose it could be the cam cover o-ring too. Clean the area and see if you can locate it. Good luck.
My mechanic checked it out today and said the leak was from the valve cover. I also had him check the PCV due to the dipstick popping up and that is clogged/stuck too. Apparently the clogged PCV was causing pressure to push oil out of an already leaky valve cover. We are replacing all valve cover gaskets and the PCV next week.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
We are replacing all valve cover gaskets and the PCV next week.
Good luck doing that!

Keith
Old 12-21-2010, 05:35 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
My mechanic checked it out today and said the leak was from the valve cover. I also had him check the PCV due to the dipstick popping up and that is clogged/stuck too. Apparently the clogged PCV was causing pressure to push oil out of an already leaky valve cover. We are replacing all valve cover gaskets and the PCV next week.
That sounds about right. A full reseal would probably be worth it. Not that much more expensive if he plans on taking the engine out to do the valve cover. Make sure that you at least replace the 3 gaskets on that side and all the washes (there are ten of them).

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 12-21-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
That sounds about right. A full reseal would probably be worth it. Not that much more expensive if he plans on taking the engine out to do the valve cover. Make sure that you at least replace the 3 gaskets on that side and all the washes (there are ten of them).
on that side?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
I don't think he was planning on pulling the engine as he is estimating 4 hours for the PCV and both valve covers. At first I was inclined to have him just do the PCV and see what happens with the valve covers but the passenger side is leaking enough that it probably will continue to leak after the PCV is replaced.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:44 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
on that side?
Yes. There are 3 seals for the valve covers on each side. One for the periphery of the valve cover, and 2 for the coil passages that pass through the middle of the valve cover and into the head. (One gasket goes around 2 coils, and the other is for just one coil).

4 hours is pretty quick for the PCV and the valve covers in the car. Pulling the engine is rather easy and does not take long if you have done it before. May open a can of worms though, as you will most likely notice engine mounts that need replacing. Things like that are very expensive. Hope it works out for you. MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE THE WASHERS. They are expensive, but you can save some trouble by buying a reseal kit. That way when you need to do a full reseal eventually you have most the gaskets. Your valve cover gaskets will probably still be good at that point.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 12-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yes. There are 3 seals for the valve covers on each side. One for the periphery of the valve cover, and 2 for the coil passages that pass through the middle of the valve cover and into the head. (One gasket goes around 2 coils, and the other is for just one coil).

4 hours is pretty quick for the PCV and the valve covers in the car. Pulling the engine is rather easy and does not take long if you have done it before. May open a can of worms though, as you will most likely notice engine mounts that need replacing. Things like that are very expensive. Hope it works out for you. MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE THE WASHERS. They are expensive, but you can save some trouble by buying a reseal kit. That way when you need to do a full reseal eventually you have most the gaskets. Your valve cover gaskets will probably still be good at that point.
Thanks Cam. Are the washers included in the reseal kit? Actually, what is included in such a kit?

What do you think about doing the valve covers and PCV instead of just doing the PCV and seeing where we stand?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:51 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Just do the valve covers too, if you don't need them yet you probably will need them soon.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 12-21-2010, 08:00 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Just do the valve covers too, if you don't need them yet you probably will need them soon.
I would say this is good advice. The reseal kit does include washers, and valve stem seals (part of valve train). Also included is the O-ring for the dipstick. All other seals on engine are included as well (Headgaskets, O-rings internal and external for the block, and too much other stuff to list). It is the best deal as I believe its about 300 bucks but I cant really remember at the moment. It's around there somewhere, but considering the head gaskets are half of that by themselves, and the valve covers are not cheap themselves, you save a lot of money in the long run by getting the reseal kit. It should literally have every seal for the entire engine.

Just looked it up. $249.97
Part # 10105AA060

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

4 hours for only the passenger side and pcv? yikes.

The passenger side valve cover is a piece of cake. Super easy to do. 1 hour tops including a beer or two and time to clean out the inside of the valve cover.

The driver side is a bastard. The pcv can also be a real trouble if it doesn't want to break free and it's tough with such a small place to work in and the crows foot.

Are you handy at all with tools? You could do the passenger valve cover yourself if you can change your own oil.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
I would say this is good advice. The reseal kit does include washers, and valve stem seals (part of valve train). Also included is the O-ring for the dipstick. All other seals on engine are included as well (Headgaskets, O-rings internal and external for the block, and too much other stuff to list). It is the best deal as I believe its about 300 bucks but I cant really remember at the moment. It's around there somewhere, but considering the head gaskets are half of that by themselves, and the valve covers are not cheap themselves, you save a lot of money in the long run by getting the reseal kit. It should literally have every seal for the entire engine.

Just looked it up. $249.97
Part # 10105AA060
I hear what you are saying. I will check back with him tomorrow on ordering the full kit.

The thing that is a shame is that the engine seemed so nice and dry until only a couple of days ago. Sure, the valve covers seeped like every other Subaru but just enough to be noticeable. All of a sudden the leak wanted to step it up a notch. Seems crazy to go from a pretty dry engine to a full re-seal. Also, as background, the previous owner already did the cam seals and replaced the oil pump. If the passenger side valve cover is the problem and it is easier to do and the driver's side valve cover is still pretty dry, maybe I should still go for the kit but only have him fix what is actually an issue for now. I would be willing to give it a shot myself if I had the tools, a place to do the work and it wasn't so friggin cold here right now. Luckily, my mechanic is very fair on his labor charges.

On the bright side, the tranny fluid looks pristine and the engine oil that leaked still looked quite clean for 3K+ miles.