Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-26-2010, 09:08 PM

Re: SVX Won't Start... Fuel Pump?

Mine wouldn't start on me a few winters ago.

Turned out it was the coolant temp. sensor on the drivers side right under the throttle body. I also thought it was a fuel pump at the time.

After reading a bit about them I found that not always will it cause the car to not start, but it can happen. And it certainly happened to my car.

Just a thought...

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 09-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by daristotle View Post
Alright, so here are the findings. Under the rear passenger seat I get 12v with the key turned on for a few seconds, I get nothing at all from yellow. Without the key in, with the key in, and with the key on - I wasn't able to get any voltage from yellow. At the connector to the pump I got 12v on blue again. I checked the modulator and got a solid 12v ground. Rechecked the fuses and all looks good.
So is it just a bad relay then? I've been able to drive it around. Is the fuel pump relay the silver cylinder one with the blue and yellow wires going to it from the harness under the drivers side? Part number 056700-5260 12v 22A. Should I go ahead and replace the main relay as well?
Its not the relay, and I don't think it is the pump.

"I get 12v with the key turned on for a few seconds"

This says that the relay, ground, and the pump, are working fine. I reread the first post (should have done that first), and I think you just guessed at the pump. It could be a MAF, pressure Reg or crank sensor problem.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Last edited by oab_au; 09-27-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:27 AM

Hi Harvey,
I was just guessing with pump. Troubleshooting cars is something I'm still learning. Is the relay still good if I don't get anything from that yellow wire like Jonnycash suggested? I tried swapping out the MAF when the car wasn't wanting to start and it didn't make any difference. Is there a way to test the pressure regulator or crank sensor, or am I better off replacing those?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by daristotle View Post
Hi Harvey,
I was just guessing with pump. Troubleshooting cars is something I'm still learning. Is the relay still good if I don't get anything from that yellow wire like Jonnycash suggested? I tried swapping out the MAF when the car wasn't wanting to start and it didn't make any difference. Is there a way to test the pressure regulator or crank sensor, or am I better off replacing those?
The two wires that go to the pump, the blue is power supplied by the relay. Yellow is the ground wire that goes to the modulator, to be grounded through a resistor for low pump or direct to ground for high pump.
If the yellow wire has 12V on it then the ground is open.
As I said, If the pump turns on for a few seconds, when you turn the key on, then the relay and pump are working OK.

If it acts like it is running out of fuel, it may be the pressure regulator dropping fuel pressure. To test it you need a pressure gauge to measure the fuel line pressure.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:18 PM

Cool Re: SVX Won't Start... Fuel Pump?

Mine was caused by the over-heating thermistor sensor on the engine block, causes engine management to be partially turned off - NZ$15.00 and about 2 hours of my time.

Last edited by SURTEESS; 09-28-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:55 AM

Registered SVX

I ended up taking the SVX to the dealership (since it was one year to old for Autozone to do it for free) and had them pull codes...turns out that on mine it is a bad MAF and the two O2 sensors. And instead of getting over charged on parts by the dealer, I have found the same inventory numbered parts online at much cheaper prices, so this should be a nice weekend project.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX

daristotle, did you ever solve this problem?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:30 PM

So far the SVX seems good. I replaced a couple relays and it hasn't done it again. (Knock on wood.)
Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Which relays exactly?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:20 PM

I replaced the main relay and the fuel pump relay.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:31 AM

For anyone interested, I'm picking up one today from Advance Auto Parts:

BWD Relay Part # R3054Z

I'm sure it can be found at any parts store, but I wanted to post this so people could see a picture of the actual part. Also, apparently it's a REALLY common relay as it's used in a ton of common makes (Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, etc.)

(not to be annoying, rather to be helpful, I'm going to cross post this in some other fuel pump relay threads just in case anyone is searching...)

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)
Old 10-20-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Dont forget to check the fuel pump modulator in the trunk. Sometimes it can get bumped by stuff in the trunk.
This post alone made me rethink things and I'm glad I did before I pulled/replaced the fuel pump... I just happened to remember that the afternoon that I got home and had this issue (fortunately it was in my driveway!), I had just moved some boxes of stuff around in my trunk and DID kind of shove one up and back, hitting the "ceiling" of the trunk. I thought about this and went out yesterday and reached up inside and moved some wiring harnesses around a little, turned the key and vrooom!

Woo-hoo!

Thanks for suggesting this scenario.

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)
Old 07-21-2012, 08:36 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
The two wires that go to the pump, the blue is power supplied by the relay. Yellow is the ground wire that goes to the modulator, to be grounded through a resistor for low pump or direct to ground for high pump.
If the yellow wire has 12V on it then the ground is open.
As I said, If the pump turns on for a few seconds, when you turn the key on, then the relay and pump are working OK.

If it acts like it is running out of fuel, it may be the pressure regulator dropping fuel pressure. To test it you need a pressure gauge to measure the fuel line pressure.

Harvey.
Ok bump for an old thread. Was leaving my gf parents house, hit the remote start since it was 100+outside , car was running for about 5mins. We loaded up the car put it drive and drive about 10ft it sputtered a bit and died, all the idiot lights came on. Tried to restart and would just crank, so I pushed it back to the house.

So I check some fuses that I thought it could be, and they looked good. Searched this forum and unplugged the maf, nothing. Pulled the rear seat, I get 12v from the blue wire for the pump so I assume the relay is good, didn't get a chance to check the yellow for ground since I was running out of daylight.

So does anyone have any suggestions, could it be the pump? Should I be able to hear the pump when I turn the key? I haven't had a problem with the car since I bought it a year ago, no cel or anything so this is just a bummer, hopefully it's a simple repair.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by showoval View Post
Ok bump for an old thread. Was leaving my gf parents house, hit the remote start since it was 100+outside , car was running for about 5mins. We loaded up the car put it drive and drive about 10ft it sputtered a bit and died, all the idiot lights came on. Tried to restart and would just crank, so I pushed it back to the house.

So I check some fuses that I thought it could be, and they looked good. Searched this forum and unplugged the maf, nothing. Pulled the rear seat, I get 12v from the blue wire for the pump so I assume the relay is good, didn't get a chance to check the yellow for ground since I was running out of daylight.

So does anyone have any suggestions, could it be the pump? Should I be able to hear the pump when I turn the key? I haven't had a problem with the car since I bought it a year ago, no cel or anything so this is just a bummer, hopefully it's a simple repair.
Pinch the fuel lines under the hood to see if you have fuel pressure.
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 07-22-2012, 11:24 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by processengr View Post
Pinch the fuel lines under the hood to see if you have fuel pressure.
Well I can hear the pump prime up with the key and the lines feel tight near the fuel filter. Everything in the car appears functional, a/c, radio, clock, etc, so I'm not sure where to look at now. I guess now its something electrical, I'm kinda thinking it could be the remote start since I remember the remote start shutting down when the car did.

Could be a long shot on the alarm, but anything else on the car I should check?