Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
No it's your head gasket!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Radiator cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
They also added a carquest branded anti-rust and water pump lubricant additive when they flushed the coolant. Maybe that stuff swelled the rubber. They added that when I told them to add the Subaru stuff per the dealer's recommendation.
Anit-Rust?? The only part of the system that could rust are some bypass pipes and the impeller. Get all that **** out of your system. Refill with a 50/50 mix of Prestone and a new cap... I hate snake oil additives

Tom
Old 09-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Anit-Rust?? The only part of the system that could rust are some bypass pipes and the impeller. Get all that **** out of your system. Refill with a 50/50 mix of Prestone and a new cap... I hate snake oil additives

Tom
Yeah, I don't know why they added that stuff instead of the Subaru conditioner. I know there are varying opinions on the Subaru conditioner too but we have one of the best dealerships and service departments here in upstate NY and they use it in every car.

By anti-rust I think they mean anti-corrosion but, still, you are probably right and I should do another flush. On coolant, you suggest Prestone? That is the green stuff with no phosphates and low silicates, right? I ask because Subaru has switched to no silicate and phosphated HOAT coolant. Zerex has a compatible one they call Zerex Asian. Prior to Subaru, and other Japanese car companies, switching gears on the coolant choice, I think Zerex G-05 was the closest match to the old Subaru coolant.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yeah, I don't know why they added that stuff instead of the Subaru conditioner. I know there are varying opinions on the Subaru conditioner too but we have one of the best dealerships and service departments here in upstate NY and they use it in every car.
Van Bortel?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Van Bortel?
That's the one. Kittty had an SVX at one point.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 09-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I've always liked them. They took good care of the little red wagon back when I lived in NY.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
I've always liked them. They took good care of the little red wagon back when I lived in NY.
And they are fair when buying and selling cars. The only problem is that the service isn't cheap. The 60K service on the Tribeca was priced at $750. I bought my own tranny and diff fluids and had my mechanic do it for a lot less with better fluids. Still, for major service, I usually make the drive back to them as I trust them. They are also very responsive when I call with technical questions about issues or service related items.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:

By anti-rust I think they mean anti-corrosion but, still, you are probably right and I should do another flush. On coolant, you suggest Prestone? That is the green stuff with no phosphates and low silicates, right? I ask because Subaru has switched to no silicate and phosphated HOAT coolant. Zerex has a compatible one they call Zerex Asian. Prior to Subaru, and other Japanese car companies, switching gears on the coolant choice, I think Zerex G-05 was the closest match to the old Subaru coolant.
Gotta remember what was and what is...

The SVX was designed 20 years ago. Prestone Green is good

Tom